Have you ever bought a coat to go with a purse? Ideas sought.

Sep 13, 2007
Have you ever splurged on a new coat just to go with a new purse?

I recently bought this Cole Haan satchel in clay during the 30-percent-off sale:

http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/ca...=163221&categoryId=300316&productGroup=135326

Love it, it's a gorgeous purse. Unfortunately it doesn't go very well with my winter coat, which is red, or my winter jacket, which is red, or even my ankle-length down coat which is purple.

So I'm thinking of doing what a year ago would have been unthinkable: buying a new coat just to go along with my purse.

I'm thinking a black-and-white herringbone or houndstooth jacket would look nice with it, but I haven't found one I particularly like.

Anyone have any suggestions for a cool coat that would go with this bag? TIA!

first, congrats on ur new bag

B19539_A

i would go for a simple cut and not bulky coat to go with this.

Oh there are so many ways to justify a new coat, not just because it will look good with your new bag! ;) Judging from the pic above the bag has coral/orange undertones so you could also wear it with creams or tans. But, I like your original houndstooth idea, because I love the red/black/white combo. How about something like this, from Banana?

br526745-00vliv01.jpg

I can relate- I've been daydreaming of buying a white jacket to go with an LV Damier Azur bag!

Congrats on your nice bag :smile: I like the black/white coat balihai added, but I would also suggest checking out J Crew- their jackets are really good quality and will last you for years. They have a few on sale right now, but they might go on further discount after Christmas. Good luck!

I can totally relate! I will admit that whenever I get a new bag I am dying to carry, I plan my outfits around my bag!

I love the idea of a houndstooth - you bag would really pop against it. Or anything in the camel/tan range would be lovely as well. Even a basic black coat would be very pretty with this bag.

Good luck!

Oooh, I love that coat, Balihi! If only it were a bit longer. I worry that I could only wear it with black pants or a black skirt. I also wear a lot of wool blazers in winter and I worry that this wouldn't cover them completely. I saw that Banana does have a longer houndstooth coat that's similar and I would have snapped it up, but alas, they are sold out of my size. I will have to think about this jacket though. It would be perfect.

Thanks for the recommendation of J.Crew! They do have some lovely coats and I'll watch for their sales.

And I agree, SeaHorse, a purse like this calls for a coat with a simple cut and no bulk. I have a long black dress coat but it has too much fabric to work with this purse. Black does look sharp with this Cole Haan purse in part because the topstitching is black. But my dress coat is too voluminous to look well with it.

And finally, I say Get that white jacket Fashionista! I don't think there's anything lovelier than a white coat in winter. Coats tend to be so dark and with the perpetually gray sky and the gray street slush... It always surprises me that winter coats don't come in a more lively array of colors.

Thanks, guys!