Have I ruined my espadrilles for good?

T.A.J

O.G.
Mar 2, 2010
Hi everyone! So basically, Im not sure if I've destroyed my espadrilles or there is a way to repair them. This is what happened. I wore my espadrilles to the pool about 3 weeks ago, and absentmindedly, I left them next to my subbed beside the pool, at the end of the day I went to put them on, but they were soaked with chlorinated pool water!! :sad: As I tried to slip my foot in, the sole of the shoe was soggy and the leather was damp, and it felt as if the shoe had shrunk because the canvas at the front of the shoe had tightened. Anyway 3 weeks in, my espadrilles dried maybe after 3 days, but now, they still feel tight and the canvas is rigid, its no longer soft and has taken a bent shape, which does not allow my foot to stay in the shoe (if that makes sense; basically they're super loose at the back). They just don't feel right anymore. Have I permanently destroyed them? Or is there a way to repair the canvas?

Once canvas gets wet it pretty much is never the same. Just like anything canvas. Getting a little wet maybe is okay .. But drenched I doubt they will be repairable. Remember these shoes aren't made to last forever. Sorry about that. Maybe posting pics could help us understand how badly they are damaged.

I'm afraid these espradilles don't fare well with water. I got rained on while wearing my biege espradilles last week, they got soaked through and took 2 days to completely dry, even after I spent 20mins vigorously blow drying them. They just weren't the same after that, the leather swelled up and now the shoe feels tight, and the worse part is I have color bleeding from the black toe part onto the biege canvas on one shoe. :storm:

Hi everyone! So basically, Im not sure if I've destroyed my espadrilles or there is a way to repair them. This is what happened. I wore my espadrilles to the pool about 3 weeks ago, and absentmindedly, I left them next to my subbed beside the pool, at the end of the day I went to put them on, but they were soaked with chlorinated pool water!! :sad: As I tried to slip my foot in, the sole of the shoe was soggy and the leather was damp, and it felt as if the shoe had shrunk because the canvas at the front of the shoe had tightened. Anyway 3 weeks in, my espadrilles dried maybe after 3 days, but now, they still feel tight and the canvas is rigid, its no longer soft and has taken a bent shape, which does not allow my foot to stay in the shoe (if that makes sense; basically they're super loose at the back). They just don't feel right anymore. Have I permanently destroyed them? Or is there a way to repair the canvas?

I think you'd do better taking them to a cobbler than to Chanel. Chanel can't refurbish shoes, but a cobbler can assess them and let you know if there is anything that they might possibly do. Usually if you get a shoe wet, it's recommended to stuff it with something while it dries to keep the shape (changing it out as it gets wet). You have shoes that were not only soaked, they were chemically soaked with a bleaching agent. :sad:

Thank you everyone for your responses, i was pretty much expecting it... They do more or less still fit, but they are quite loose from the back, as you said, canvas can never be fully repaired... Thanks again for the input

Thank you everyone for your responses, i was pretty much expecting it... They do more or less still fit, but they are quite loose from the back, as you said, canvas can never be fully repaired... Thanks again for the input

But canvas can be stitched, so a good cobbler could take in that extra fabric so they'd fit better. I'd still take them in and talk with the cobbler were they my shoes; the worst they can say is they can't do a thing.

I'm afraid these espradilles don't fare well with water. I got rained on while wearing my biege espradilles last week, they got soaked through and took 2 days to completely dry, even after I spent 20mins vigorously blow drying them. They just weren't the same after that, the leather swelled up and now the shoe feels tight, and the worse part is I have color bleeding from the black toe part onto the biege canvas on one shoe. :storm:
Same thing happened to mine and I'm so devastated. The black ink from the toe bled onto my white part and the sole of the shoe swelled up. :sad:

I'm sorry to hear what happened to you but I don't see how Chanel can repair your Espadrilles as they are not suppose to be anywhere near water/rain [emoji52] ever if the weather forecast says drizzle, DON'T wear them..

Arghh what a nightmare; sad to read your story!!

I have 2 pairs and had no idea they react so badly to water (I also have 0 common sense), so THANK YOU for posting all this! Maybe take a slither of solace that you might have acted as the cautionary whale to a few people on this site?? :hugs: