Has this happened to you at the boutique?

I got snapped at Chanel before. I described to my SA the design of necklace I was looking for. Just nice a customer (few metres away from me) was looking at the exact design I was looking for. The SA kindly borrowed from the customer to allow me to take a look and I touched it. My SA snapped at me immediately not to touch it.

I felt embarrassed. But 1) the customer has not confirmed whether she is buying or not, she was examining a bag piece when my SA "borrowed" the necklace from her. Certainly if she had decided to buy the necklace, I would not have touch it. 2) My SA took the necklace for me to look, but not to touch? It was ridiculous.

I got snapped at Chanel before. I described to my SA the design of necklace I was looking for. Just nice a customer (few metres away from me) was looking at the exact design I was looking for. The SA kindly borrowed from the customer to allow me to take a look and I touched it. My SA snapped at me immediately not to touch it.

I felt embarrassed. But 1) the customer has not confirmed whether she is buying or not, she was examining a bag piece when my SA "borrowed" the necklace from her. Certainly if she had decided to buy the necklace, I would not have touch it. 2) My SA took the necklace for me to look, but not to touch? It was ridiculous.

I would've been out of there immediately. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Wow I would go find another SA! That is ridiculous. I don't know any SA who treats a customer she or he knows as a frequent customer like that. Usually totally opposite the SA usually let's VIC or familiar customers touch items or view items more than random window shoppers.

I can almost always tell an American poster based on the extent they value certain things, in particular customer service. That's the retail culture of the U.S. where a good number of people believe the customer is King (or Queen).

That's not an universal view (either in the US or elsewhere), it's just one that predominates.

I'm not of that culture and so I don't feel upset not to be personally greeted when I walk in a store (in fact, I prefer to be ignored until I need you).

I don't need you to smile at me or make idle chit chat. In fact, buzz off. I'm busy looking

If you're busy, I'll wait. If I can't wait, I'll come back. That's just how the cookie bounces.

And, lastly, I wouldn't be upset if I saw a staff person reprimand a rude customer. In fact, I'd be cheering (if I didn't say something myself).

I don't happen to think the customer is always right. In fact, quite often, the customer is a jackass. And the law in my culture is: you get what you put out.

I don't believe the customer is queen or king. But I don't think that customer deserved to be spoken to rudely in that situation. I do agree that if a customer is being downright rude that the SA has the right to stand their ground and not put up with it.

I experienced something awful yesterday at the LV store and it ruined my first Mother's Day. Me, my husband, and my 9 month old baby in a stroller were kicked out because my baby was holding a pretzel in her hands. The security guard told us very rudely there is no food allowed and we have to leave. I was waiting for months to get my Artsy and thats why we went yesterday. I called corporate and they said that's not there store policy. I'm so upset I will never spend a penny at LV :sad:

I don't like to shop in boutiques where the SA's look down on certain customers. IMO everyone should be treated equally. The SA's don't have any idea how much idea one has in their bank account and they shouldn't assume anything just by one's outward appearance.

Its not about how much money a customer has or not, its about the value of the merchandise that sits on these shelves. Its not like your in Walmart where it doesn't matter if your kid is eating, drooling, touching or poking everything or people are snatching off the shelves. These are bags that are worth thousands of dollars and people should act appropriately. Have respect for yourself and other customer who might actually want to buy that bag your kid has just barfed all over……. urghh its just common sense and courtesy

Last edited:
I experienced something awful yesterday at the LV store and it ruined my first Mother's Day. Me, my husband, and my 9 month old baby in a stroller were kicked out because my baby was holding a pretzel in her hands. The security guard told us very rudely there is no food allowed and we have to leave. I was waiting for months to get my Artsy and thats why we went yesterday. I called corporate and they said that's not there store policy. I'm so upset I will never spend a penny at LV :sad:

Oh no! Not all stores are like this please try another store don't let one store ruin it for you.

I don't think that is unreasonable at all. I've been asked to finish a drink before coming into the store too. Like another poster said, in the past it was common to not enter a store while eating or drinking.

I remember going to the Louis Vuitton store in crystals Las Vegas and they asked my boyfriend to leave his drink with the guard.

I thought it was odd-- especially because I'm usual served drinks and sometimes food by my SA in my local store!

There's definitely a double standard with that rule!

my local LV store here in Columbus,Ohio is located in one of the busiest outdoor shopping centers in the midwest and it would be nearly impossible for them to regulate who walks in with food or drinks because people can buy food from the food cart just feet away or they could have a starbucks drink purchased from Macys just doors away.actually come to think of it none of the stores in Easton have a no food or drink policy that would be insane! Plus here in Columbus there two things you dont mess with us about thats Food and OSU football :lol: