Has the quality of Louis Vuitton interior lining changed?

Pattern8

Apr 8, 2015
Really, really hoping to gain some knowledgeable advise here. I haven't purchased a new Vuitton bag in a while but recently have started taking classes again and needed a new one for school. I purchased the apollo allday bag in monogram eclipse via phone order. Well, it arrived yesterday and I could not help but be less than impressed with the interior of this bag- itfeels rather thin and makes that crinkle noise one might expect from those free cosmetic gift with purchase bags. Also, the interior pockets lack any kind of trim and seem very thinly stitched ??? I know many have said the brand is becoming too commercialized but I chose to purchase it because I have always found their bags so durable in the past and I like things that I can toss around without worrying about damage. This one however just doesn't seem to have that high quality feel to it.
Currently have it all boxed back up and ready to return.... wishing someone will either educate me as to why I should keep it or resolve in sending it back.

This is a new(ish) bag so photos would be helpful.

There are various kinds of linings used for different lines. For example, Monogram Macassar uses black or burgundy canvas for lining, while Damier Cobalt uses microfiber lining...

As far as Louis Vuitton becoming "too commercial," only a **** would say that... it is one of the oldest leathergoods company and sells millions of products every year... of course it's a commercial operation...

I just took it out to get a few pictures of it. I don't fault any brand for commercial success unless of course I'm still being charged the same price for cheaper more readily available materials. Just wondering if this is now the case with Vuitton.

Attachments

• IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,515
  • IMG_5446.JPG
    IMG_5446.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 1,484
  • IMG_5449.JPG
    IMG_5449.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,833
  • IMG_5454.JPG
    IMG_5454.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,495
  • IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,489
  • IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_5461.JPG
    IMG_5461.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 1,521
  • IMG_5464.JPG
    IMG_5464.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,744
  • IMG_5460.JPG
    IMG_5460.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,870
  • IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 1,665
Reactions: Pmrbfay
I just took it out to get a few pictures of it. I don't fault any brand for commercial success unless of course I'm still being charged the same price for cheaper more readily available materials. Just wondering if this is now the case with Vuitton.
Thanks for these great pictures (a lot of the guys in the Men's forum were curious about this bag).
As for the materials used for the construction of this bag, it's cotton canvas coated in what is basically vinyl... so you are indeed being charged many MANY more times what it would be worth if Target were to make this exact same bag. The lining looks normal to me.
Keep in mind that Eclipse is not the top of the line in regard to details for the Men's canvas bags. That would probably be Damier Cobalt.

Reactions: foxylock
Thank you all for your comments. I indeed agree, I like the style of the bag very much. It just doesn't have the same feel as my old Louis Vuitton. I'm still leaning towards returning it and spending a little more on a saint Laurent or really biting the bullet and buying Hermes. I don't like the cheap feel of this bag and incredibly sorry that Vuitton has disappointed.

Reactions: Luvnlife
...Keep in mind that Eclipse is not the top of the line in regard to details for the Men's canvas bags. That would probably be Damier Cobalt.

That's interesting. So different canvas patterns are positioned higher/lower re: details/quality? I wonder why. (Apropos of nothing, my spell check wants to keep changing Damier to Damian Cobalt.)

Reactions: fabuleux
Thank you all for your comments. I indeed agree, I like the style of the bag very much. It just doesn't have the same feel as my old Louis Vuitton. I'm still leaning towards returning it and spending a little more on a saint Laurent or really biting the bullet and buying Hermes. I don't like the cheap feel of this bag and incredibly sorry that Vuitton has disappointed.
The lining has changed for mens bags. It's now some sort of nylon/cotton mix it seems. It's definitely not the cotton lining of a few years ago. There is a crinkle to the fabric now and might be a cheaper lining, but i like this lining. Seems like it will clean up easier but may not seem very luxe.

That's interesting. So different canvas patterns are positioned higher/lower re: details/quality? I wonder why. (Apropos of nothing, my spell check wants to keep changing Damier to Damian Cobalt.)

My SA told me something like this when I was trying to choose between a DE or DC keepall. She told me the leather used was much better quality on the DC. I wasn't sure if she was right but I bought the DC. I guess she was right. I had no idea.

Reactions: prepster
I think you should return it. If it's not what you want then why keep it? 100 people could come on here and say it's fine, it's great, it's normal. But at the end of the day, it's you carrying the bag all day long. And if it's not what you want then that's a true waste of money.

I sent it back today. Still just bummed about it. Wasn't so much trying to get opinions on the look of the bag as I did very much like the style. Was just hoping someone who was more familiar with Vuitton's production could give reason as to why they chose the material and construction for their bags these days. I don't baby any of my things which is why I've always been a fan of Vuitton. My old bags are indestructible.

I sent it back today. Still just bummed about it. Wasn't so much trying to get opinions on the look of the bag as I did very much like the style. Was just hoping someone who was more familiar with Vuitton's production could give reason as to why they chose the material and construction for their bags these days. I don't baby any of my things which is why I've always been a fan of Vuitton. My old bags are indestructible.
What old bags are you talking about?