Has the quality and size of the birkin changed over the years?

When buying any handmade product, especially at these prices, a careful inspection of the actual item is advised, regardless of the reputation of the company. The most important things to me include and are not limited to:

1. Is the bag symmetrical and does it stand perfectly and not lean to one side or the other, or to the front or back? It should stand perfectly, especially when the flap is tucked in, which is how most everyone carries a Birkin.
2. Is the skin centered and the texture even throughout the bag--especially exotics, but including Fjord, Togo, Buffalo and Clemence.
3. Is the stitching tight and even--again, throughout the bag.
4. Are the handles perfect? Birkin handles, when new, should form a perfect "U" shape and not bow out or point.
5. Is the hardware applied perfectly with no gap between the skin and metal?
6. The edging should be perfectly even with no evidence that more than one skin has come together--it should appear totally uniform and evenly waxed. It should feel completely smooth to the hand.
7. The lining and exterior should be perfectly matched, so that no waviness is created in the front panel, or anywhere else due to even minor size issues between the interior and exterior.

Thanks for this post castorny!

Im a bit disappointed to hear some people feel the quality is not as it used to be, now i am starting to be able to gather a collection for myself have i now missed the best years ?

You can always go the vintage route (unless you're looking for a newer leather or colour). It requires a bit more work (or not, depending on location and relationship with boutique) but can, IMO, be more rewarding than getting a new one. But I get your dissappointment, I feel the same way, almost a little bit betrayed.

Thank you for all the replies.I find this reply most interesting because it just stresses my point about the quality.I find that with my latest purchase my brick coloured birkin 35 in togo,there is a slight waviness in the leather due to the fact that it seemed like there is a bit more leather on the inside,I noticed this when I took the bag out of the box(its not obvious,ever so slight wave but I noticed). Also th e metal on the straps that lock is not completeley attached to the leather instead just the two edges of the hardware are and this is not the case in my first one,the gold where the hardware is completely attached with no space btw leather and hardware. The birkin remains my first choice of handbag always and I doubt this will change.I do understand that like with most things handcrafted there will be variations,but I hope that Hermes can try to remain consistent and even though there is an economy dip,the quality of my beloved Hermes should not dip whatever the case.I am so glad for this forum,I am

Tt
When buying any handmade product, especially at these prices, a careful inspection of the actual item is advised, regardless of the reputation of the company. The most important things to me include and are not limited to:

1. Is the bag symmetrical and does it stand perfectly and not lean to one side or the other, or to the front or back? It should stand perfectly, especially when the flap is tucked in, which is how most everyone carries a Birkin.
2. Is the skin centered and the texture even throughout the bag--especially exotics, but including Fjord, Togo, Buffalo and Clemence.
3. Is the stitching tight and even--again, throughout the bag.h
4. Are the handles perfect? Birkin handles, when new, should form a perfect "U" shape and not bow out or point.i
5. Is the hardware applied perfectly with no gap between the skin and metal?
6. The edging should be perfectly even with no evidence that more than one skin has come together--it should appear totally uniform and evenly waxed. It should feel completely smooth to the hand.
7. The lining and exterior should be perfectly matched, so that no waviness is created in the front panel, or anywhere else due to even minor size issues between the interior and exterior.