has mj repaired the f05 kisslock on stam for anyone?

fakeplants

Oct 8, 2007
my f05 stam has a loose kisslock and i've spent the past couple hours searching through old posts to see how people dealt with this. i read about the way (i think iluvmybags and secret_shopper) of pushing the frame towards one another to make it snap shut better, and i'll definitely try it if mj can't repair it, but i'm worried because one of the kisslocks is a bit "loose" (it moves a little when i push it, so i'm worried it will fall off).

what i'm wondering is if anybody has asked mj repairs to repair this recently and had them actually fix it? i know it's out of the 18 month warranty, but i sent an email to diego to ask if they fixed it or if he even had any advice as to how i can fix it if they can't. so yep! i saw a lot of people reference asking diego in the past threads and i just wanted to see if anyone was successful.

thanks! sorry i'm too anxious to wait until mondayish for them to respond :shame:

i wanted to add that with only a wallet in the stam, it won't stay closed if i wear it by the chain on my shoulder, which means that i don't know if it will work for me as a bag. and i LOVE lovelove the leather and color and everything about it, so i don't know what to do. the seller had described it as a "loose" kisslock, but made no indication that that affected the functionality of the bag (ie, you can't wear it as a shoulder bag). was that something i should have known before hand? i've contacted the ebay seller with my concerns, without saying anything about filing for a dispute or whatever, just so if needed in the future, it's noted that this was an issue i noticed right away when i received the bag.

sorry for the long posts, it's just been bothering me the last day or so because i love everything about this bag except it won't stay closed! and i'm not sure what to do at this point. i don't want to mess it up more by trying to move/bend the frame :shrugs:

as always, any help is great appreciated!

OK -- first of all, here are my "instructions" for twisting the frame in order keep it closed -- this worked for me with my petrol stam -- when I first got it, there was a slight gap in the frame and the bag would POP open every time I put the chain on my shoulder (this happens for two reasons: (1) the kisslock does not have the notch that later stams have and (2) the chain is unevenly positioned, connected to the bag on the backside of the bag on both ends, whereas later stam straps are connected to the bag, one on the frontside, the other on the backside in order to even it out) -- fortunately, the handles on the 2005 stams are thinner and softer so the drop is longer (esp once you weigh the bag down with stuff inside), so whenever I needed both hands free, I could easily fit the bag over my shoulder using the handles (which I cannot do with my later stams)

someone else told me about twisting the frame, so I decided to give it a try -- surprisingly, it worked!! in fact, I just switched bags last night and loaded up my petrol stam -- I tend to carry A LOT in my bags and it weighs it down quite a bit -- after I filled her up, I decided to give it a try on my shoulder using the chain and VOILA!! it stayed closed!!!

You mentioned that the kisslock itself is loose -- twisting the frame shouldn't have any effect on that, since it's the frame you're twisting and not the kisslock itself -- if the bag isn't staying closed BECUZ the kisslock is loose, then that's probably another issue entirely

open the bag (not all the way, about 1/2 way) & turn it so that the end is facing you with the back kisslock on your left. Place your left hand at the end of the bag closest to you on the back part of the bag, place your right hand on the opposite end on the front part the bag -- gently push the ends of the bag inward -- then try closing the bag and see if it catches tighter -- it took me two tries to figure this out, but once I did it, the bag "SNAPPED" shut and there was no more gap -- I tried the bag on my shoulder w/the chain and it didn't pop open!! What you're doing essentially, is gently twisting/pushing the frame so that when you close the bag its in better alignment.

But if it doesn't work OR you don't want to try it, goldenflower & MuzMars both had their stams repaired by MJ just this summer (Post #27 - http://forum.purseblog.com/marc-jacobs/petrol-stam-321514-2.html#post7216200)

I've actually considered contacting them myself in order to have the frame "properly" tightened as well as few loose stitches, but I can't bare to part with my stam right now, so I might do it later

let me know if you try my method and whether or not it worked for you -- I was honestly surprised that it worked for me -- I was afraid that it was only a "temporary" fix, but it passed the test last night with all my stuff inside -- it never popped open once! Good Luck!

it sounds to me like this is something other than the frame issue and i'd be very careful about re-situating the frame, as it might put more pressure on the loose kisslock and break it.

thanks for your advice iluvmybags! but i'm worried about what jun points out, which is that if the pressure point of the kisslock is already loose, even though i could get the bag to shut, would the kisslock part just completely break off after a while (or something to that effect) if it's already loose?

thanks also for bringing up some tpf'ers who *have* gotten their stams fixed. i hope that diego replies with being able to fix it, because even though i'd miss the stam for the looong weeks it'd be gone, i'd feel much better using it if i didn't feel like i'd always have to worry about something popping off. i need it to be tomorrow!!