Has ebay become some kind of "Den of Thieves"?

I've been on eBay since 1999, and I've been selling for at least 7 years now. I've found that scammers and non paying bidders get worse around the holidays. It's kind of the nature of the season. In my opinion, people bid on stuff, and then decide that they've overspent. As a result they don't pay the auctions they've won. Or maybe their credit cards are maxed and they can't pay their auctions. I've already had 2 non-paying bidders this season and I won't be surprised if I have more before the end of the year.

It's kind of the nature of the beast ...

I had a nightmare with an ebayer who bought a bag from me last year. She left positive feedback and then bugged me to leave her feedback which I did, then started saying that she thought the bag was fake (it wasn't). She sold it on but then came back saying that her buyer had said the same thing. At the time I was about to give birth (literally) and she should have been the least of my concerns but it really stressed me out.

Despite refusing to have it authenticated or tell me why she thought it was fake she continued harrassing me and her emails got really abusive. In the end I told her to make a paypal claim if she wasn't happy which she did and paypal found in my favour. She then issued a chargeback through her credit card which paypal couldn't fight so I ended up having to refund her plus pay for it to be sent back. There was nothing wrong with it! This whole scenario went on for 10 months and my paypal account is still locked because of it :tdown: It was an absolute beast and it's made me so wary when selling now :sad:

That is AWFUL and I'm so sorry that happened to you, but glad you at least got the bag back. That is more than some people end up with. :sad:

*knocks on wood*

I haven't had any problems yet this holiday season. But I think it is because I have gotten SO strict in my policies, and they are clearly stated on all my auctions & my ME page, with security tags, NPB's get negative feedback & UID dispute filed WITHOUT FAIL, I am not afraid of negatives, if you try to scam me I will call you out in public forums and on my ME page as well as in your feedback, etc..... etc.

I am sure it all makes me look like a rather negative person but then people who DO buy from me know what I am about, and scammers know that I will not be walked all over.

I have had a lot of problems in the past, I have noticed that they seem to get worse this time of year.

*knocks on wood again*