Harvey Weinstein

I don't think much of the celebrities who are coming out now against Harvey. Too little, too late. They are only speaking against him now for the same reason they kept silent before, because they see it as being beneficial to themselves and their careers. None of them are taking any kind of personal risk anymore but they want to be perceived as if they're doing something important.
I agree. However I do enjoy that the pile on means Weinstein will not be able to sweep this away after a period of time...as he’s likely calculating. This means his power to destroy the careers of others is over. But let’s not pretend this culture will end or that worse is not still happening in Hollywood.

I don't think much of the celebrities who are coming out now against Harvey. Too little, too late. They are only speaking against him now for the same reason they kept silent before, because they see it as being beneficial to themselves and their careers. None of them are taking any kind of personal risk anymore but they want to be perceived as if they're doing something important.

So what exactly is the other option? People can't go back in time and take a do-over on their actions decades ago. Instead of "too little, too late" how about "better late than never."

Who cares if it benefits them and makes them look important. It IS important.

Seriously, obviously the better option is for people to have spoken up about this a long time ago but they didn't and isn't what's happening now much better than it simply being swept under the rug forever??

Not that I have some big illusions that this will change much. After all, 63 million people told us loud and clear they are fine with this type of behavior. Nonetheless, even if the news cycle moves on to something new next week, I"m grateful to all the woman coming forward regardless of their motives.

The entertainment industry and countless celebrities are very publicly vocal about preaching to America in what to believe, who to support, who to consider vile, what our values should be, and love to hold themselves up as defenders of women's rights and all sorts of causes. Every televised Celebrity Awards show is replete with soapbox lecture speeches from these uber-wealthy, self-anointed, holier-than-thou "I-know-better-than-you" famous people.

Have you ever thought that they're saying these things (in this case, about sexual assault) cause they feel they're not in a position to do it themselves (for whatever reason)? Perhaps cause they've been assaulted and been hushed by the industry and know that the more people who speak up means it's easier for them, and others in similar positions to speak up??
Nah, you know exactly what's going through their head...

Reactions: redney
So what exactly is the other option? People can't go back in time and take a do-over on their actions decades ago. Instead of "too little, too late" how about "better late than never." .

How about some of these celebrities being really brave and outing the other Harvey Weinsteins who are still doing this sort of thing? I don't think any of us is naïve enough to believe he is the only one. The others may be more cautious for a little while but when the news cycle changes to focus on something else it will be back to business as usual.

ou’re talking about a small percentage of people, the majority of actors are earning minimum wage and don’t have a public voice... look up the statistics. It’s a cushy glamorous well paying job for a very small percentage of people.

That's my point exactly.

It's the most successful Hollywood celebrities, the ones who have already "made it", that are the most outspoken, soap boxy lecturers a la cram-it-down-everybody's-throat style who could have well afforded to have been as vocal about HW as they are about everything else. But they didn't . It's easier to be brave with a hundred million + in the bank, but not for those people.

Somebody said 63 million people were fine this behavior. I don't see anyone supporting that behavior. I saw 63 million people who thought "we've already been-there-done-that with concrete proof and a hypocritical defender of those actions" with the other side. Talk can get filthy, but it is not proof. Actions are proof. But now this strays from the spirit of TPF.

But let's discuss some filthy talk. Why ARE people "fine" with some of the filthiest rap and song lyrics that call and describe women as b*tches and hoes, and songs like "Bl*w Job Betty", etc? Some of these performers have net worths in the hundreds of millions. The industry that focuses on degrading and debasing women as whores and hoes is well supported. So maybe after a couple of decades of hearing this "art", it's hard to shock people with, errr, locker room talk.

I really liked this article by Sarah Polley (who is a filmmaker with tremendous integrity), she briefly talks about knowing about Harvey but not doing anything about it... it won’t change anyone’s mind but I thought she thoughtfully sketches the working environment for actresses...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/...ey.html?referer=https://t.co/OycwpPyYci?amp=1
This is an excellent article. I am curious to know who the actress is Harvey referred to who went on to play leading roles and win awards. I wonder if her name has been mentioned in this thread.

a lot are also coming out with non-stories about him too, just to put themselves into the mix and get some publicity... part of an actor's nature i suppose. there really are several layers here of what HW did - he didn't assault and rape everyone who has spoken out. some were not even touched, but only propositioned. i don't put being propositioned in the same category as sexual assault so claiming those women are victims of HW is a stretch to me. many of the stories we are reading were truly nothing more than the suggestion of sex for a script/role, etc. Heather Graham came forward with her HW story and it was a whole lot of nothing - there were a bunch of scripts on the table and he said something like women had slept with him before for roles. that's not sexual assault, that's suggestion. hardly worth mentioning, it's just to defame his character further and get herself in the mix.

Reactions: imgg and lvstratus
I think it is horrible what HW did and I applaud the women who walked away, instead of playing the game and furthering their careers. I do think many women though went along with the bad behavior so they could become famous or win that Oscar. I also think their are some women who dress provocatively and throw themselves at powerful men i.e. Winston,*******, ***** and after it ends claims harassment. I think their are a lot of bad men Hollywood and other industries who abuse their power, but also think it is tricky and you can't only work on one type of bad behavior without working on the other. I think it is dangerous to make general statements- all powerful men are bad or all women are victims.

Last edited:
Many of these women that are coming out have already traded for whatever HW wanted. The news didn't break because someone just had this experience, these are all past stories, unless I've missed something.I wonder if nda's apply to the present situation, wondering who signed a NDA and has come forward despite having signed it. I'm definitely not critiquing or judging, I truly wonder about the nda's and the situation at hand. I also realize that some didn't play the game and feel that they were blacklisted or overlooked because of it.

I think it is horrible what HW did and I applaud the women who walked away, instead of playing the game and furthering their careers. I do think many women though went along with the bad behavior so they could become famous or win that Oscar. I also think their are some women who dress provocatively and throw themselves at powerful men i.e. Winston,*******, ***** and after it ends claims harassment. I think their are a lot of bad men Hollywood and other industries who abuse their power, but also think it is tricky and you can't only work on one type of bad behavior without working on the other. I think it is dangerous to make general statements- all powerful men are bad or all women are victims.

The gray and white area in situations like this is just adds to all the complications surrounding women revealing their stories. There are women who have admitted to both being assaulted and playing along with the game, so their credibility will always be downplayed in some people's eyes. There will always be the segment of population who won't believe the women because the women benefited or stand to benefit now from their allegations. So when it comes to accusing someone of something like sexual assault where there is very little concrete evidence and it's all he said, she said, it's just too complicated for me to fault the women for not speaking up earlier.

As for "you can't only work on one type of bad behavior without working on the other," I do think women speaking now is a version of working on the "other" behavior. Even if it changes nothing for 10 years, you have a generation of young ladies starting careers and maturing in whatever industry they are in who have examples of women standing up for themselves.

How about some of these celebrities being really brave and outing the other Harvey Weinsteins who are still doing this sort of thing? I don't think any of us is naïve enough to believe he is the only one. The others may be more cautious for a little while but when the news cycle changes to focus on something else it will be back to business as usual.

I sure hope that happens. That would be an awesome other option. But I also think you can't disregard the power in the concept of strength in numbers. Most of the women coming out against Weinstein probably have no hope of it leading to criminal repercussions but thanks to their collective outcry the man's reputation is tarnished forever. If one or two women accuse a man, it's easy for all the naysayers to doubt them. But where there is smoke, there is fire, so if 20 come out against him everyone has to admit something shady went on. And just people knowing it exists is all most of the victims can hope for at this point in terms of punishment.

That's my point exactly.

It's the most successful Hollywood celebrities, the ones who have already "made it", that are the most outspoken, soap boxy lecturers a la cram-it-down-everybody's-throat style who could have well afforded to have been as vocal about HW as they are about everything else. But they didn't . It's easier to be brave with a hundred million + in the bank, but not for those people.

Somebody said 63 million people were fine this behavior. I don't see anyone supporting that behavior. I saw 63 million people who thought "we've already been-there-done-that with concrete proof and a hypocritical defender of those actions" with the other side. Talk can get filthy, but it is not proof. Actions are proof. But now this strays from the spirit of TPF.

But let's discuss some filthy talk. Why ARE people "fine" with some of the filthiest rap and song lyrics that call and describe women as b*tches and hoes, and songs like "Bl*w Job Betty", etc? Some of these performers have net worths in the hundreds of millions. The industry that focuses on degrading and debasing women as whores and hoes is well supported. So maybe after a couple of decades of hearing this "art", it's hard to shock people with, errr, locker room talk.
exactly......using the "n" word is just art...right? unbelievable....

Reactions: Daneela
I agree. However I do enjoy that the pile on means Weinstein will not be able to sweep this away after a period of time...as he’s likely calculating. This means his power to destroy the careers of others is over. But let’s not pretend this culture will end or that worse is not still happening in Hollywood.
I agree. It will be almost impossible for Harvey to recover from this situation. These people see an open and are trying to bury him - including his brother.

Reactions: Tivo
I agree, the real courage would be exposing the other predators.

What do you all think about the #metoo hashtag that's been going around?

I find it sad that pretty much every woman has experienced some form of harassment or assault. I've experienced harassment (thankfully not assault) but it's so sad that this fear of predatory behavior dominates the way we live on a daily basis. I can't even count how many times I've been catcalled. A coworker got too grabby at one holiday party after drinking too much. We need to stop normalizing this behavior. It saddens me to realize my girls will have to go through this as part and parcel of being a woman.

Reactions: minimom