Harry Winston Engagement Ring Price Points?

I have HW wedding jewelry which is just SO MUCH better value that those really overpriced and overhyped stones at Tiffany. 40K will get you something around 3 carats for a solitaire on platinum. I have never looked at the multi-stone rings though.

:wtf: 3 carats for 40K? Say it ain't so. That sounds actually reasonable to me, but then again I really know nothing about diamonds and how they're priced. I wonder what it would cost for the same stone from an independent broker?

I don't think today you could walk into HW and walk out w/ an amazing cut 3 cttw solitaire in platinum, not even in white gold. 3 cttw at best w/ a designer stamp is more like $50-60k but my guess is they'd want quite a bit more than that even.

Yep. I agree with Swanky. I just looked at a gorgeous 3 ct cushion cut stone at Graff's in NYC and it was $72K, including the setting which was nothing special. A lot of depends on the clarity though. This was a VVS stone, which I would never pay for. I would much prefer a bigger stone that was an eyeclean SI 1. It just depends on what your priorities are.

I dont think you can get a 3ct ring from HW. I checked the prices for plain solitaires for less than 2ct and they already cost almost 20k pounds. Having said that.. i really love the ring i got from there and the customer service!

The question for me is usually: is the branding worth the price?
You can get a GORGEOUS ring for your budget. But it might not be as good a stone as you could find if you went non/HW.

Congratulations, though!!!

Hey ladies! Just wondering . . . starting to think about engagement rings :P and was trying to figure out some price points before any actual shopping begins . . . with a budget around USD 40K, what type of ring would you be able to get from HW? It's always been my dream to get an HW engagement ring but I don't know how if it's in the budget! Thanks!!

Also if anyone knows what the same budget would pull down @ Van Cleef & Cartier that would be much appreciated (sorry not a Tiffany's fan :shrugs:)

I was looking @ 1.05 ct F/VVS1 cushion cut in a micro-pave setting with 0.46 side diamonds recently in Rodeo Drive, it costs $28,000 before Tax. According to the SA, Micropave is the most popular setting for HW engagement ring.

Last edited:
The question for me is usually: is the branding worth the price?
You can get a GORGEOUS ring for your budget. But it might not be as good a stone as you could find if you went non/HW.

Congratulations, though!!!

You can buy a large stone with high standards from other sources than HW & Tiffanys.
Cut is the 'c' that is the most important. You can buy an ideal cut (can't get no better cut) stone through a broker. Everyone buys their diamonds through a couple of cartels. HW & Tiffany's, etc. & some brokers buy the best stones available.
HW creates jewelry, they take these stones they buy & turn them into rings. Yes, they have high standard for their stones & rings. If you don't know where to find a broker who sells these high quality stones, you probably don't have alot of choice. You are stuck going to HW which of course they are going to do the 'sales' job on you. HW makes gorgeous stuff, I have a HW diamond watch. Their jewelry is gorgeous. If the "label' is that important to you, by all means buy from them. But don't think people can't get something of the same quality from somewhere else.
Diamonds are basically a commodity. When all the 'c's for a diamond are exactly the same on 2 different stones, it doesn't matter if you are standing in HW or a broker office.

You may be right, as I bought my rings about 2-3 years ago, but a two carat was something in the neighborhood of $26K (just a solitaire in platinum), and I looked at some 2.5 carats for $34k-ish. I didn't go that big, but I have a hard time believing it goes up to $60k. Then again, cost of platinum has definitely gone up and maybe you're looking at fancier cuts.

HW has minimum standards of VS2+ and only colorless, so even though you don't get to say "I have a VVS2!" your next door neighbor with her trinket from DeBeers won't even compare. I don't have any gem expertise, so I am happy to pay for it. I definitely think HW is fabulous value for your $, though, when you compare it to the other designer jewelers.

^trust me, it does go that high!:yes:
Go to Pricescope.com or whiteflash.com
and pull of a 3 crt, e-f color, ideal cut in a VS1 and see the price.

If you need to sell a high end ring, the auction houses will take a HW, Tiffanys, Graff rings to auction. They also will take high grade stones in 'generic' setting.
They will not take lower end jewelers items or stones who cut is less than ideal.

^^^^^
VLL, I've only seen one jewelry catalog from a Sotheby's auction last year. I don't recall any engagement-ring style rings, nor do I remember much about the prices.

I can't imagine Sotheby's or Christie's to be a place to get a good deal on a ring, or am I wrong? In which case, I would be delighted.

It depend on the auction & who's buying at the time. Three D's of people listing items, death, divorce, & debt.
Also if this from an estate, they'll usually take what they can get, cause they want to get the estate closed. Rather than someone who has a minimum amount they will take for an item. If its a celebrity auction, you probably won't get a good deal.

Many rings go to brokers cause people are afraid of the perceived 'curse' on an engagement ring. A broker just puts it in his inventory & no one is the wiser. He'll pull the stone out of the ring. Brokers/antique dealers will only bid so high cause they need to make a profit. I prefer to bid against them, they give up eventually & you get a good deal on something that's desirable. They know what they can turn quickly for a profit.
Its not a place where you can say I want such & such. What comes to auction is what you can buy. I don't think I've seen stones smaller than 2.5 ct. I've seen auctions where it looked like alot of people were giving up their rings & some with no engagement rings. I think the US christies & sothebys have 2 general jewelry auctions each. So if you aren't in a hurry, its worth checking out.

If you see a 5+ canary in a catalog, let me know. Dh keeps telling me he wants to get me one. We'll see after he finds out the cost on them now. LOL

Last edited:
You can probably buy a top quality dia from a wholesale house (NY or NJ are the ones I know of. Then take the loose ston to HW for the setting. This should same some $$$

I called about getting my engagement diamond reset in a Cartier setting & they will only set their own diamonds. These high end jewelers make too much money off the diamonds, they aren't going to give that up. You want their setting, you pay for their stone. They don't care how high quality your stone is. They are in business to make money.