Happy Thanksgiving from Blew415...very long!

blew415

Loves LV & Burberry
Sep 28, 2006
Hi All!!! First I want to make sure I start this by wishing you all a very Happy Turkey Day!

Some of you may have noticed that I have been away from the forum for almost 4 mos-with no explanation. I wanted to let you guys know what happened to me. My husband and I bought a new house back in August (most of you that know me knew that much). I had initally planned on taking some time from TPF to 'work' on the house. Everything was coming along nicely -though I was stressed with the house, work, etc.

As all my RAOK buddies know- I am a diabetic and have been since I was 4 (29 now). Well, week after Labor Day I went into Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Without getting too technical, my body basically had no insulin and my bloodsugar levels were extremely high. A 'normal' diabetic should have sugar levels ranging from 80-120, well they clocked me at one point over 1000. The trauma dr actually told my husband and mom that I was not going to make it. After a few days, they were able to bring my sugars down and placed me in ICU for a couple of weeks. The day they moved me to a regular room- my levels started to go up again with no reason.

The sad thing is they have no clue as to what may have caused it. I did have few symptoms, but never thought it was because of high blood sugars. We thought I just had the flu, but Blaine (DH) called 911 when I stopped responding to him.

Needless to say, I spent pretty much the entire months of Sept and October in the hospital.

I am finally closer to normal- my bloodsugars are still high- but they are averaging in the upper 170 and lower 225s. I did not return to TPF sooner, because I have been obsessed with trying to take care of myself. (If something like this happens to me again- they basically said my body would not be able to handle it). I feel as if I have been rediagnosed and have been given a second chance to make tons of changes. I have been on a weekly communication with my Dr and nurses to make sure my readings are on track and taking the right dosage of insulins. Luckily, I am still able to only take 3 shots a day....however the insulin pump may be the way I go later next year. (Side bar- DH thinks I can put the pump in my mini lin cancun!)

Anyway, I am going back to work this Monday and will be slowly getting back into the routine of things. Trust me- I missed TPF so much (I like the blue) It was pinkish purple last time I signed on. I need to catch up on all the new bags, new people, everything!

Almost forgot-- DH gave me a present for coming out of all of this okay. We have a new Cream Longhair Doxie. I can't post a pic right now as I am on my laptop and the pics have not been downloaded here. But she is adorable and gets along woth her 3 sisters!!! (Mental note- will need to change signature pic)

I hope you guys forgive me for 'disappearing' for awhile-but I had to take my time and take care of me first. I am going to my moms for my Sugar Free Thanksgiving lunch , but plan on signing on later this evening.

See you on the boards-- Liz

wow, well I didnt know you 4 months ago, but regardless, you've had a rough couple months and the added stress of a new house- welcome back and cheers(thats water in our glasses, for now:drinkup:) to you being out of the hospital. my mom is diabetic, the stresses alone are enough!! sounds like you have great support at home with DH and your furbabies but happy thanksgiving and welcome back!!

OMG Liz.....I was so worried about you!!!!! *HUGS* I've been asking about you on the LV forum and no one knew OMG sweetie!!! I am so glad you are OK! My husband is a diabetic, who does not take care of himself properly (his sugars are typically in the 300s) and I am going to tell him this story to try to scare some sense into him!!!

I am so glad that you are OK now!!!!!

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are feeling better..PLEASE take care of yourself! I don't know much about what you have..I wish I could suggest something. I'm hypoglycemic so can't really help. I will say I remember you a little though..not your name but your signature pic! I was still sort of a newbie back then. Take it easy! :flowers:

How scary! I'm glad you are doing better though. Your health is the most important thing you have, so take care of yourself! And congrats on the new pup. Nothing is better medicine than a puppy kiss. :heart:

Sending you all my best, even though we don't know one another. Diabetes runs in my family, so I know the horrors you go through. Hang in there honey, looks like the tPF family is praying for you.

Speedy

Wow blew! That's a scary story, especially since you're only 29 (my age!). I'm so happy you're ok now and wish you all the best and hope to see you a lot on tpf! :flowers:

O and congrats on the new doxie!!