Hammering the Ostrich

avandome said:
I am definitelly going to take REAL good care of the poor "bird bags"!:sad: that I already have.
they have been through so much just to get to me:crybaby: ...I will read them bedtime storries, :yes: and let them watch the discovery/nature channel when I am not at home!:wlae:

You are so cute, avandome!

Kristie.. i didnt know that about the ostrich! I've always loved ostrich especially in shoes!! it sounds awful.. it changed the way i look at ostrich but cant help dreaming about ostrich birkin though!

La Vanguardia said:
Okay, I went to Bern today and asked the Hermès boutique there about my COO for my ostrich Bolide. They said that it is only given out to foreigners who are going to bring the bag out of the country. They said that if I ever travel with my bag, because I am a Swiss resident, I just need to show my original receipt. They'll also double check their files where my ostrich came from ... they guess Australia.

It can be a problem if you're bringing your ostrich bags into the U.S. (especially California). U.S. Customs is especially notorious for flagging down people who is carrying anything exotics. I know that the kangaroo hats cannot be imported into California because of Dept of Fish and Wildlife, the same dept who made it impossible for us to buy python bags in California (we can buy watersnakes, but no pythons).

La Vanguardia said:
I know what you mean about the bumps. After seeing Hermüs ostrich, others just look weird. I once saw a Gucci ostrich bag and as much as it was gorgeous, there was something about the bumps that didn't look quite right.

yeah, I saw a Gucci ostrich for the first time in Vegas and quite frankly I didn't like it. The bumjps felt horrible. Same with other brands like Loro Piana (or however it is spelled). The SA with the Loro Piana bags last week touched my birkin and made this little sighing noise. She looked at my bag and said," Wow, what kind of bag is that? I can FEEL the difference. Such a huge difference."

I smiled and just said, "Its Hermes."

nathansgirl1908 said:
yeah, I saw a Gucci ostrich for the first time in Vegas and quite frankly I didn't like it. The bumjps felt horrible. Same with other brands like Loro Piana (or however it is spelled). The SA with the Loro Piana bags last week touched my birkin and made this little sighing noise. She looked at my bag and said," Wow, what kind of bag is that? I can FEEL the difference. Such a huge difference."

I smiled and just said, "Its Hermes."

Yeap, there's really no comparison!

Today, when I got my ostrich Bolide inspected my store manager mentioned again how much work they put in hammering the ostrich "dots (what the heck is the word for it?)" one by one to give it the smooth look and the result is really superior compared to the "cheaper ones" as he phrased it.