Gulliver Leather Black Kelly Feedback

shadowgirl

May 21, 2007
I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-loved black Kelly in Gulliver leather. I know this is a retired leather. I was hoping to get some feedback from Gulliver leather owners. Is it a leather worth having in your collection? Does it hold up? Easy to maintain and to spa?

Thank you!

It was around for a fairly long time and several PFers had this leather. There really is a lot about wear, weight, the look and feel of the leather, as well as photos.

Gulliver is beautiful but delicate. A friend sold her Gulliver Kelly because it is so soft that opening and closing the toggle is more difficult because the leather gives so much. Did that make sense? This would be more of an issue in at 35 than in a 28 Kelly
Also it may depend on the bag. 30 Gulliver Birkin I looked at seemed to have plenty of substance.
I love Gulliver. It is rare. I have a trim and a market bag in Gulliver so the softness is part of the look in these bags. I would probably buy the Kelly, What size is it?

• Insightful
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
my only issue is that the kelly even when the leather is more rigid changes its shape rather badly as opposed to the Birkin that in my eyes becomes more beautiful as it softens up kelly shape in gulliver may not be the best idea if you carry many things.

how ever it is beautiful a true noble leather ...... so if its more of a look bag go for it.

for example my vintage crocodile clutch is a true bag fits so much looks beautiful a its truly functional clutch. my Denim Barenia JPG Birkin is a look bag i carry next to nothing in a closed manner as an accessory for my outfit. just for the look

• Insightful
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Gulliver is beautiful but delicate. A friend sold her Gulliver Kelly because it is so soft that opening and closing the toggle is more difficult because the leather gives so much. Did that make sense? This would be more of an issue in at 35 than in a 28 Kelly
Also it may depend on the bag. 30 Gulliver Birkin I looked at seemed to have plenty of substance.
I love Gulliver. It is rare. I have a trim and a market bag in Gulliver so the softness is part of the look in these bags. I would probably buy the Kelly, What size is it?

Hi Golconda - the bag is a 35. Thank you so much for your feedback :smile:

my only issue is that the kelly even when the leather is more rigid changes its shape rather badly as opposed to the Birkin that in my eyes becomes more beautiful as it softens up kelly shape in gulliver may not be the best idea if you carry many things.

how ever it is beautiful a true noble leather ...... so if its more of a look bag go for it.

for example my vintage crocodile clutch is a true bag fits so much looks beautiful a its truly functional clutch. my Denim Barenia JPG Birkin is a look bag i carry next to nothing in a closed manner as an accessory for my outfit. just for the look

Thank you Birkel for the response :smile:

I have 2 Gulliver Bolides (37) and they are gorgeous: the leather is much different from the current incarnation of Swift. When I compare them to my Swift SLG I see a very firm, smooth leather with a lot of body - rigide rather than mou. And the *glow* of Gulliver is unmatched. It's not matte, not shiny... It's incandescent.
The bags have held up very well and show minimal wear in all the usual places.

Compared to Barenia - well, don't make me choose! Barenia is more velvety than Gulliver, and of course has that incomparable fragrance. But as birkel says: Gullver is a true noble leather.

Gulliver is very similar to swift. I have both and I can't actually tell the difference. It's very prone to scratch - I scratched mine with my own nails while looking for my phone in the bag. I didn't it myself so no complaints , can only remind myself to be more careful next time. Here's a pic of mine in color havanneIMG_1503139865.106473.jpg

I agree with Clutchbag about the incandescence of Gulliver. I have a K 32 sellier in Gulliver from 1989, & it has retained its shape as well as its patina gorgeously over the decades. Here it is - a tricolor K made to commemorate the bicentennial of the French Revolution… Vive la France et vive Hermes! :smile:

View attachment 5605802
Astonishing bag! That's mostly Box calf, though - Gulliver just on the flap, or so it appears. Gulliver is quite soft - obviously, it's the predecessor of Swift.
ETA: This thread is super old, but doesn't look like we have a dedicated or even a very popular Gulliver thread.

Last edited:
Astonishing bag! That's mostly Box calf, though - Gulliver just on the flap, or so it appears. Gulliver is quite soft - obviously, it's the predecessor of Swift.
ETA: This thread is super old, but doesn't look like we have a dedicated or even a very popular Gulliver thread.
Right you are as always, QuelleFromage! What a thrill to hear from you as I always admire & appreciate your expertise here on TPF.
Yes, the Gulliver is on the flap of this bag - also on the whole back & bottom - & it really has stood the test of time (not even yellowing the way H white is said sometimes to do). The Box on the bag feels much more vulnerable to me somehow…
And too bad that there’s no dedicated Gulliver thread - I will look for an Ode to Swift since I’m obsessed with that skin as well…

• Love
Reactions: QuelleFromage