Gucci vs Balenciaga mini? Bday present ideas for myself :)

sinny1

Rockin Chic
O.G.
Oct 28, 2007
Hi everyone!

I’m a Gucci newbie and have really fallen in love lately. I am interested in making some purchases for myself to celebrate my 30th.

I’m in interested in the GG Marmont matelassé mini bag. I don’t want to spend over 1K on a bag right now, I love the price, style and size of it. My only concern is I am 5’1 and not sure if the handle would be too long even if worn crossbody which is how I usually wear my bags.
The only other bag I would get against this one is the Balenciaga mini city but retails $1,650 and so would only make this purchase.

I’m also interested in the suede balet flats with web bow. I’m not a dressy woman per say, I like to wear leggings/jeans I tend to wear black a lot so I thought this was a cute pop of color with the bows. Do you think these tend to look better on dressier styles?

Interested in the specialized fit oversized cat eye sunglasses, I just can’t seem to find anyone wearing this specific pair. I like my sunglasses to sit mid nose, rather than too high on my bridge. So not sure how these look on!

Lastly, interested in the smaller GG belt. I don’t usually wear belts, maybe on top of a loose dress. But I love how this belt looks.

Any opinions or advice on the items I mentioned? If you had to choose two or three of these items which would you choose.

TIA!

Attachments

• 0DA12C74-005B-47C3-8656-D6FFD010DE91.png
    0DA12C74-005B-47C3-8656-D6FFD010DE91.png
    423.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 2C6F1CDC-68C1-4538-A60D-F3B9FE525783.png
    2C6F1CDC-68C1-4538-A60D-F3B9FE525783.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 555419F5-9513-4BF9-B92F-17342D661194.png
    555419F5-9513-4BF9-B92F-17342D661194.png
    265.6 KB · Views: 471
  • A4608DC6-4342-463B-B1A2-8A010C1E1463.png
    A4608DC6-4342-463B-B1A2-8A010C1E1463.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 455
  • 250F5BB1-DD5C-41A5-8C8C-9DB8BBDDD87D.png
    250F5BB1-DD5C-41A5-8C8C-9DB8BBDDD87D.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 468
Reactions: CSG
I love all your Gucci picks! I think it's always best to see things in person if you can, or at least buy from a website with hassle free return option. Those shoes are really cute, I think you can dress up or down, they would be fine with jeans or leggings as you like. Love the sunglasses, really need to be tried on though if you are picky about fit. I love all the Marmont bags, if this is the perfect size for you go for it, if it's a little too small it might be worth looking at the other sizes even if you have to add a little money. I think the GG belt is cute if you are going to wear separately from the Marmont bag, and if your other purses you would use with it don't have logos. I personally just like 1 conspicuous logo at a time. The Balenciaga is cute but I don't think it looks the price that it is.

I would recommend the belt, the shoes, & the marmont bag.

The belt is universal and it could become a core and staple in anyone's closet in addition to the shoes as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the balenciaga only due to the fact that the shape of the bag doesn't look like it will hold throughout the years, in addition it doesn't look elevated enough to be $1600.

I think if you've always, always wanted a Bal moto you should go for it but otherwise I prefer the G Marmont as it's so much more versatile, day to evening and everything in-between.

If you can pull-off those shoes go for them. I can def see how just those would transform a casual outfit. The belt is a classic and can dress-up a LBD as well as jeans.

I think Gucci are still transitioning with their glasses. They came out of a licence deal that admittedly made so-so designs and now make their own. Personally, I think you can do better at that price point, for that money I'd want Cazal or Linda Farrow etc.

Reactions: sinny1
Hi everyone!

I’m a Gucci newbie and have really fallen in love lately. I am interested in making some purchases for myself to celebrate my 30th.

I’m in interested in the GG Marmont matelassé mini bag. I don’t want to spend over 1K on a bag right now, I love the price, style and size of it. My only concern is I am 5’1 and not sure if the handle would be too long even if worn crossbody which is how I usually wear my bags.
The only other bag I would get against this one is the Balenciaga mini city but retails $1,650 and so would only make this purchase.

I’m also interested in the suede balet flats with web bow. I’m not a dressy woman per say, I like to wear leggings/jeans I tend to wear black a lot so I thought this was a cute pop of color with the bows. Do you think these tend to look better on dressier styles?

Interested in the specialized fit oversized cat eye sunglasses, I just can’t seem to find anyone wearing this specific pair. I like my sunglasses to sit mid nose, rather than too high on my bridge. So not sure how these look on!

Lastly, interested in the smaller GG belt. I don’t usually wear belts, maybe on top of a loose dress. But I love how this belt looks.

Any opinions or advice on the items I mentioned? If you had to choose two or three of these items which would you choose.

TIA!

Hi! Did you get the Gucci Marmont Mini Camera Bag? I am also debating between getting that or a Balenciaga Mini City as well. I had a lot of mini bags already and can only add 1 more. Hence, I cannot get both bags. It’s so hard to pick.

Reactions: sinny1
Hi! Did you get the Gucci Marmont Mini Camera Bag? I am also debating between getting that or a Balenciaga Mini City as well. I had a lot of mini bags already and can only add 1 more. Hence, I cannot get both bags. It’s so hard to pick.
Hello! @CSG I ended up getting the small Gucci bag camera bag. At first I wasn't using it but once I actually started to use it, I love the bag. Its soft enough to mold with your body but has a good shape to it. I use it everyday and its held up quite nicely. It has the side with GG antique hardware and the other side has the GG stitching so its versatile. I did get a Balenciaga WOC that I use when I want something smaller. I don't regret the decision of picking the Gucci camera bag over the Balenciaga mini for everyday bag because the shape is good enough to hold my things securely and the hardware and stitching option is very handy depending on my mood and style for the day. Hope that helps!

Reactions: CSG and papertiger
Hello! @CSG I ended up getting the small Gucci bag camera bag. At first I wasn't using it but once I actually started to use it, I love the bag. Its soft enough to mold with your body but has a good shape to it. I use it everyday and its held up quite nicely. It has the side with GG antique hardware and the other side has the GG stitching so its versatile. I did get a Balenciaga WOC that I use when I want something smaller. I don't regret the decision of picking the Gucci camera bag over the Balenciaga mini for everyday bag because the shape is good enough to hold my things securely and the hardware and stitching option is very handy depending on my mood and style for the day. Hope that helps!

Thank you. Glad to know that you are loving your purchase. Hope to make the right choice for myself.

What about Dionysus? I know it is a little but I think it is still very Gucci. Gucci soho is also a great option. I just see so much marmont that I’m so desensitized to it. Balenciaga is also quite expensive for what it is and you can probably get one from the resale market for way cheaper.

I do really like the shoes and sunglasses.