Gucci Vintage Information Thread

i just got a vintage gucci frame clutch with a "G" flap clasp. it's a gorgeous bag, and the seller described it as from the 1970s. it only has a gold "GUCCI" brass plate above the inside pocket though. have you ever seen an authentic vintage gucci bag from the 70s or 80s with just a "GUCCI" gold plate, without any serial #, "made in italy" imprint?

For issues of authenticity please post pics/link of the bag in the 'Authenticate This' thread as pro form

To answer your question Gucci used model numbers for many but not all bags. These were not serial numbers.

Usually 'brass plates' are associated with the 1980s and not the 1970s. Most 1980s bags do have season/model/colour numbers.

One or two 'rules' do not verify whether a bag is real or fake they are just reassurances and information. Fakes often have similar markings and it takes a good eye and experience to spot differences between.

I hope this helps.

For issues of authenticity please post pics/link of the bag in the 'Authenticate This' thread as pro form

To answer your question Gucci used model numbers for many but not all bags. These were not serial numbers.

Usually 'brass plates' are associated with the 1980s and not the 1970s. Most 1980s bags do have season/model/colour numbers.

One or two 'rules' do not verify whether a bag is real or fake they are just reassurances and information. Fakes often have similar markings and it takes a good eye and experience to spot differences between.

I hope this helps.

thank you! i'll post further questions/pics to the authenticate thread as appropriate. :smile:

^ I hope it helps too. I have had to dig up some old old stuff and interview my mother and uncle for this thread too :lol:

More complications: :shocked: Apparently there are Gucci Plus from 1993 that were made to get Gucci out of debt. I just have to find out where these were made and which type of store they were sold - anyone with one of these please let us know.

Update on early-1990s canvas bags

These bags were made for the Japanese market from 1993 and are very rare in the US/European second-hand market. There might be some discrepancies between earlier GAC bags which were available in huge numbers Worldwide.

The production and sale of these bags' sole purpose was to get Gucci out of trouble financially after a family 'feud' where upon Maurizio Gucci and an investment bank took the firm over. In trying to re-establish the high-end reputation of Gucci. Maurizio over-extended Gucci (and himself personally) financially with too many changes too quickly and had to bring back the canvas line in a place where there marketing strategy would not be compromised.

From the pics of one of our sub-forum members it is clear that the GAC (Gucci Accessories Collection) label is no longer, and GUCCI, MADE IN ITALY in Gold on the 1990s horse-shoe shaped tab is in upper-case in fine rounded lettering. A bright-gold 1990s hw interlocking GG oval medallion charms are ring-pulls inside and out and 1990s hw of the same ilk adorns the front leather patch.

does anyone here have any additional info on this vintage gucci clutch? it has been authenticated for me and i'm just curious about the style and if it can be dated to a decade based on the details.

the beading details at the top frame that looks to be Bakelite is particularly lovely. would appreciate any more details from vintage gucci experts! :biggrin:

Attachments

• il_570xN.198040573.jpg
    il_570xN.198040573.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4,310
  • il_570xN.198040590.jpg
    il_570xN.198040590.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4,292
  • il_570xN.198040611.jpg
    il_570xN.198040611.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,281
  • il_570xN.198040604.jpg
    il_570xN.198040604.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 4,399
does anyone here have any additional info on this vintage gucci clutch? it has been authenticated for me and i'm just curious about the style and if it can be dated to a decade based on the details.

the beading details at the top frame that looks to be Bakelite is particularly lovely. would appreciate any more details from vintage gucci experts! :biggrin:

Cool bag :tup:

This is a Lizard clutch with what look like polished agate (hard stone) perhaps you take a closer pic of the detail to id for sure, of course you may be right and the detail has been made to fool the eye into resembling hard stone or polished bone .

Bakelite was an early plastic (pre-1950s) used on bags for economy, especially during WWII. By the late 1960s/'70s Gucci was decorating with semi-precious stones like tiger's-eye, lapis-lazuli and agate but they also used bamboo, wood, plastic and other materials on lesser expensive models.

The colour looks either late-1960s or mid-1970s. Clutches are pretty hard to date because they ref an earlier time period anyway. The crest markings look more late 1960s. The fact that it has 2 side pockets and not one also points to the late '60s rather than later.

Please check and see if there any other tiny markings anywhere on the hardware and report back.

cool - will do. it is on its way to me and i'll update when i can take more photos in person. :smile: thanks papertiger! your knowledge on vintage gucci never ceases to amaze me!

This is a Lizard clutch with what look like polished agate (hard stone) perhaps you take a closer pic of the detail to id for sure, of course you may be right and the detail has been made to fool the eye into resembling hard stone or polished bone .

Bakelite was an early plastic (pre-1950s) used on bags for economy, especially during WWII. By the late 1960s/'70s Gucci was decorating with semi-precious stones like tiger's-eye, lapis-lazuli and agate but they also used bamboo, wood, plastic and other materials on lesser expensive models.

The colour looks either late-1960s or mid-1970s. Clutches are pretty hard to date because they ref an earlier time period anyway. The crest markings look more late 1960s. The fact that it has 2 side pockets and not one also points to the late '60s rather than later.

Please check and see if there any other tiny markings anywhere on the hardware and report back.

cool - will do. it is on its way to me and i'll update when i can take more photos in person. :smile: thanks papertiger! your knowledge on vintage gucci never ceases to amaze me!

Pleased to try and help :yes:

Could you also measure the bag once you get it. The smaller and squarer the clutch the more likely it is to be late-1960s rather than mid-1970s.

Pleased to try and help :yes:

Could you also measure the bag once you get it. The smaller and squarer the clutch the more likely it is to be late-1960s rather than mid-1970s.

the dimensions from the listing are:

10.5" x 6" x 2"

it's a little smaller than the other vintage gucci one i had that we discussed. will update with more details when i get it! :smile:

so this arrived and it is in pretty amazing vintage condition. definitely lizardskin but the beading detail is definitely not polished stone. it doesn't have that 'stone cold' feeling but rather is lighter and definitely feels like a bakelite/plastic. there is also a hairline crack around one of the beads. it's not super noticeable and doesn't detract from the function/form of the clutch. i wonder if i can get the crack in the beading easily fixed by a luxury handbag 'spa' shop in NYC...

the clutch overall has a great heft to it though - and the interior lining is a really nice buttery cream leather! i think i might get a small stitch resewn on one of the side pockets but otherwise it's a vintage gem! :biggrin:

do you still think it's 60s/70s based on the size and color/style?

so this arrived and it is in pretty amazing vintage condition. definitely lizardskin but the beading detail is definitely not polished stone. it doesn't have that 'stone cold' feeling but rather is lighter and definitely feels like a bakelite/plastic. there is also a hairline crack around one of the beads. it's not super noticeable and doesn't detract from the function/form of the clutch. i wonder if i can get the crack in the beading easily fixed by a luxury handbag 'spa' shop in NYC...

the clutch overall has a great heft to it though - and the interior lining is a really nice buttery cream leather! i think i might get a small stitch resewn on one of the side pockets but otherwise it's a vintage gem! :biggrin:

do you still think it's 60s/70s based on the size and color/style?

Thanks for the update vintagevix

From your new info I def would date it as late-1960s and no later.

Since you mention it is a type of plastic the 'hairline-crack' that you describe is probably where the demi-moulded plastic has been fitted together (poured, moulded and set into separate identical moulds, flat on top and later glued together with a resin glue to create the whole round shape) and likely to not be a flaw. Maybe post a pic?

Congratulations on your new lovely bag :tup:

thank you! i've attached some pics close-up of the beaded knobs. it definitely is a crack around one of the beads and while it's not looking like it's going to fall off, i wonder what kind of pre-emptive repair i can get done on it...i suppose as it's plastic it will be easier to fix? any info or advice you might have would be helpful!

it is a gorgeous vintage gucci clutch though. :biggrin:

Since you mention it is a type of plastic the 'hairline-crack' that you describe is probably where the demi-moulded plastic has been fitted together (poured, moulded and set into separate identical moulds, flat on top and later glued together with a resin glue to create the whole round shape) and likely to not be a flaw. Maybe post a pic?

Attachments

• P1010637.jpg
    P1010637.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,194
  • P1010636.jpg
    P1010636.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 4,188
  • P1010635.jpg
    P1010635.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 4,196
actually here are some higher res images -

Attachments

• P1010635_2.jpg
    P1010635_2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4,231
  • P1010636_2.jpg
    P1010636_2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 4,198
  • P1010637_2.jpg
    P1010637_2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 4,175
actually here are some higher res images -

Thank you for these.

I can't actually see the fault-line, which is a good sign I think.

Plastic is def easier to fix than if it were stone :yes:. If you think it's worth it get it done of course, I might be inclined just to leave it as is though unless you think it will get worse over time.