Gucci loafer fail - help

Shelly319

May 13, 2015
Hi all - so I bought a pair of Gucci brixton loafers recently. I wore them around for just three hours today and this is the result. The shoe is literally crumbling into pieces at the tip and sole. I absolutely love the comfort of these loafers but after three hours of wear this is the result? Really? Has anyone else had this experience as well? Is this normal? Is there a way to protect these at the tip especially so they're not further damaged? Or should I return these which I don't really want to do but this is a bit ridiculous for shoes that were over 600. I have chanel, jimmy choo and charlotte olympias and none of these have ever done this!IMG_1486835047.984604.jpg IMG_1486835059.288621.jpgIMG_1486835069.956959.jpg

The shoe isn't "crumbling to pieces". Those are just scuffs -- it happens with leather soles, specially when they're still stiff.

It's not crumbling to pieces now but parts of it are falling off. I pulled a piece of leather off the heel the other day. You know those cork boards teachers had in the classroom when you were a kid? The bottoms of these shoes remind me of that. I took the shoes to a local cobbler who was also surprise by the wear after just three hours. He recommended I rubber sole the shoes. The shoes are incredibly beautiful but Gucci really ought to partially rubber sole these because they are delicate. I have watched videos online of these shoe soles wearing out after not that many wears or being ruined because they were worn in the rain. I will likely continue buying these as they are so comfy but I will be rubber soling all of them. I have never run into this problem with any of my other designer shoes. Oh well.

Leather is a natural product and if you walk on pavement or on gravel you are bound to end up with scuffs and scratches on the soles. You simply need to apply a leather cream to the sole, use cedar shoe trees after each use and rotate your shoes so as to let the soles properly dry. In addition you can always have them resoled at a later date. However if you have a black shoe cream, applying it to the edges of the soles will camouflage most of the scuffing.

Leather is a natural product and if you walk on pavement or on gravel you are bound to end up with scuffs and scratches on the soles. You simply need to apply a leather cream to the sole, use cedar shoe trees after each use and rotate your shoes so as to let the soles properly dry. In addition you can always have them resoled at a later date. However if you have a black shoe cream, applying it to the edges of the soles will camouflage most of the scuffing.
And believe it or not, driving can cause some of the worst damage. I wear a driving shoe, then put on my good shoes when I get out of the car. I just purchased some Gucci slides. I'm going to have to protect the bottom of the shoe.

Thanks for the advice. I am rubber soling my shoes but will add the black shoe cream to the tips where there is scuffing. I'll have to think carefully the next time I purchase shoes with leather bottoms.

Yeah, virtually all of my shoes with leather soles get that scuffing within one or two wears, especially depending on the design of the sole (as in, sometimes some leather soles shoes have hard rubber edging on them) and the type of ground I walk on. They can definitely be resoled and maintained, but just be aware that this is totally normal for leather soles.

Reactions: chloelee1