Gucci Aphrodite Shoulder Bag

NAP have the same shade (sorry to go on about it people who are not interested in the red)

The reason I'm so obsessed is because I would like a red to go with the bag so spent ages at Gucci Beauty

View attachment 5672806View attachment 5672807View attachment 5672820

These models are supposed to be wearing satin but looks more matte :rolleyes:

It's also AM's favourite colour red which is why it's 25 (his lucky number) NB not as orange-y as in the campaign :lol: https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/st/stories/article-category-beauty/article/gucci-beauty-goldie-red-25
Thanks for the tip! I picked up the sheer version and really love it. (It’s also a very soft formula - usually I wear Chanel coco flash but there seem always to be stock issues.)

Thanks for the tip! I picked up the sheer version and really love it. (It’s also a very soft formula - usually I wear Chanel coco flash but there seem always to be stock issues.)

Fantastic! I still have quite a lot of lipsticks that need wearing, once they are well-used, maybe I should look at the sheer too. I never thought of that before for a red :tup:

Reactions: insidemysoul
Fantastic! I still have quite a lot of lipsticks that need wearing, once they are well-used, maybe I should look at the sheer too. I never thought of that before for a red :tup:
Yeah red is not my usual color (typically mauves) and I am also quite lazy about liner, so sheer is significantly more forgiving. Nice amount of color and less shiny or gooey than gloss. (Although Westman Atelier has a nice gloss that is not gooey or overly shiny, but as with most glosses there are fewer color options.)

I’m really drawn to the shape of this bag (medium). The general hobo shape, but also how the body of the bag melds into the strap itself. Looking around, I see this shape is not unique to Gucci and the Dionysus hobo also has this structure. I see that the Dionysus hobo has the ability to attach and remove a strap with rings on the side, but the Aphrodite does not. Aphrodite comes with a lengthening strap. They have the same kind of closing mechanism, I think. No zipper closure overall, but a strap that comes over and close with a magnet, with a large metal decorative One internal zipper pocket. Both bags are pretty wide and long, but thin. Is there any other point of comparison between the two that I'm missing? Can anyone comment on the leather similarities between the two? Or the comfort of wear on the shoulder? Is either stiff, or slippery, such that they don't stay on the shoulder? The placement of the 'Gucci' gold stamp seems ideally placed to rub off by wearing the strap on the shoulder. Thanks for any insight.

Also, interested in other brands with a shape like this, especially if they are less expensive.

I’m really drawn to the shape of this bag (medium). The general hobo shape, but also how the body of the bag melds into the strap itself. Looking around, I see this shape is not unique to Gucci and the Dionysus hobo also has this structure. I see that the Dionysus hobo has the ability to attach and remove a strap with rings on the side, but the Aphrodite does not. Aphrodite comes with a lengthening strap. They have the same kind of closing mechanism, I think. No zipper closure overall, but a strap that comes over and close with a magnet, with a large metal decorative One internal zipper pocket. Both bags are pretty wide and long, but thin. Is there any other point of comparison between the two that I'm missing? Can anyone comment on the leather similarities between the two? Or the comfort of wear on the shoulder? Is either stiff, or slippery, such that they don't stay on the shoulder? The placement of the 'Gucci' gold stamp seems ideally placed to rub off by wearing the strap on the shoulder. Thanks for any insight.

Also, interested in other brands with a shape like this, especially if they are less expensive.

"Also, interested in other brands with a shape like this, especially if they are less expensive."

We only talk about Gucci on this forum. You'd have to ask about hobos in the general Handbag forum if you want info on other brands.

The entire bag is a reissue from the 1970s (including one extender strap). The Running GG was created in the 1960s and the flat hobo was created as the Bouvier in 1958 (as was Hermes' Trim I the same year). The Bouvier in the Large is more the shape of the Dionysus Hobo.

Sounds like the Dionysus and the Aphrodite hobo may seem similar, but all the D hobos are a completely different shape. The Dionysus is more than doubly deep even in the Small. The Aphrodite is quite flat, handbag proportions, not a messenger carry-all.

Dimensions:

Small/Med Dionysus hobo:
Width: 25.5 cm / 32 cm
Height: 32 cm/ 43 cm
Depth: 5 cm /6.5 cm

Med Aphrodite
Height: 38 cm
Width: 39 cm
Depth: 2 cm

Med Aphrodite has strap across with a simple magnetic closure.
The metal is brass not silver
It comes with 2 extender straps. You have to buckle them in properly (Same as some versions of the Jackie and Bouvier)
The inside pocket is HUGE, almost as big as the bag.
The Aphrodite is goatskin (Capra) not calf.

"Also, interested in other brands with a shape like this, especially if they are less expensive."

We only talk about Gucci on this forum. You'd have to ask about hobos in the general Handbag forum if you want info on other brands.

The entire bag is a reissue from the 1970s (including one extender strap). The Running GG was created in the 1960s and the flat hobo was created as the Bouvier in 1958 (as was Hermes' Trim I the same year). The Bouvier in the Large is more the shape of the Dionysus Hobo.

Sounds like the Dionysus and the Aphrodite hobo may seem similar, but all the D hobos are a completely different shape. The Dionysus is more than doubly deep even in the Small. The Aphrodite is quite flat, handbag proportions, not a messenger carry-all.

Dimensions:

Small/Med Dionysus hobo:
Width: 25.5 cm / 32 cm
Height: 32 cm/ 43 cm
Depth: 5 cm /6.5 cm

Med Aphrodite
Height: 38 cm
Width: 39 cm
Depth: 2 cm

Med Aphrodite has strap across with a simple magnetic closure.
The metal is brass not silver
It comes with 2 extender straps. You have to buckle them in properly (Same as some versions of the Jackie and Bouvier)
The inside pocket is HUGE, almost as big as the bag.
The Aphrodite is goatskin (Capra) not calf.
Gotcha on the other brands. Thank you for the explanation on the Aphrodite and the Bouvier. Searching for the Bouvier, I do see it looks like the Aphrodite. So it is the non-large Bouvier that is like the medium Aphrodite, but the large Bouvier is like the medium (or small) Dionysus hobo (in terms of proportions)?

Gotcha on the other brands. Thank you for the explanation on the Aphrodite and the Bouvier. Searching for the Bouvier, I do see it looks like the Aphrodite. So it is the non-large Bouvier that is like the medium Aphrodite, but the large Bouvier is like the medium (or small) Dionysus hobo?

Apart from the half-moon hobo (that goes up to travel W 50cm and travel + sizes) most Gucci hobos go deeper as they get larger. This includes the Jackie, Bouvier, Horse-bit Chain etc.

I think you have it correctly: The Large Bouvier (which I have) is more proportional to the Dionysus hobo, the Med Aphrodite is more like the Med Bouviers (hook closure and flatter than the Jackie 1961) Approx 23cm x 38cm. The Med Aphrodite measurements are slightly misleading IMO because they include the two side 'wings' which partly form the strap. It's not as tall if you just measure the main body of the bag. The Bouvier also has these side triangular 'wings', it makes the strap stronger because it's the full depth of the bag.

For a Gucci less expensive option: I recommend looking at pre-loved Soho Hobos. You should find a similar hobo look for a great price (the top has a zipper though). Gucci have some other great flat-ish hobos (Half-moon hobo*, Half-moon Bamboo hobo*, Horse-bit Chain Hobo*, GG Twins Hobo, Britt, Running G Hobo, Bouvier* Wave Hobo, Queen Hobo, Jockey Hobo, Hysteria etc). Not all of them go cross-body though, that was a plus for me (and of course it comes in bright red goatskin - more pluses). Check out the reference sub-forum thread.

*I have these.

Apart from the half-moon hobo (that goes up to travel W 50cm and travel + sizes) most Gucci hobos go deeper as they get larger. This includes the Jackie, Bouvier, Horse-bit Chain etc.

I think you have it correctly: The Large Bouvier (which I have) is more proportional to the Dionysus hobo, the Med Aphrodite is more like the Med Bouviers (hook closure and flatter than the Jackie 1961) Approx 23cm x 38cm. The Med Aphrodite measurements are slightly misleading IMO because they include the two side 'wings' which partly form the strap. It's not as tall if you just measure the main body of the bag. The Bouvier also has these side triangular 'wings', it makes the strap stronger because it's the full depth of the bag.

For a Gucci less expensive option: I recommend looking at pre-loved Soho Hobos. You should find a similar hobo look for a great price (the top has a zipper though). Gucci have some other great flat-ish hobos (Half-moon hobo*, Half-moon Bamboo hobo*, Horse-bit Chain Hobo*, GG Twins Hobo, Britt, Running G Hobo, Bouvier* Wave Hobo, Queen Hobo, Jockey Hobo, Hysteria etc). Not all of them go cross-body though, that was a plus for me (and of course it comes in bright red goatskin - more pluses). Check out the reference sub-forum thread.

*I have these.
Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll go check out that reference subforum

Reactions: papertiger
The general hobo shape, but also how the body of the bag melds into the strap itself.

Also see, Hermes trim II and BV hobo. Preloved examples are plentiful and historically well priced

For what it’s worth, and to keep to thread topic, I think the shape of the gucci Aphrodite is more graceful into the strap, and its malleable body is more modern. Other older gucci hobo models in exotic leather used to be far better priced relative to original retail. Premier luxury brands’ current focus on structured bags may also bode well for someone looking for a hobo at resale.

Just spied this canvas and leather version on the US website. This is the first Aphrodite that really speaks to me. A.d the price seems reasonable for the size.

View attachment 5690881

It's nice for Summer

This one is coming out in Large and Med (Med is already up on US site).

This is Large on the UK site.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 22.03.08.png

I have never been much of a Gucci fan but this bag caught me ;) I just bought 2 of them in Light brown and black ! Decided both colors are classic colors
IMHO for those who are considering this , I think it’s really a steal at this price point ( for goat leather !) and they come with extension straps included and most importantly the design is classic !
Grab them before they increase price !

image.jpg