Gucci 1955 in white leather vs a Chanel 2.55 27cm in black lambskin?

Nov 20, 2020
Hello everyone,
How are you? I'm not reall new here, i was Ilaura75 but i have lost my password to get into the website and since my email address had been deleted, i cannot recuperate my PF account. I was really sad. Therefore, i had to create another account. I am now Redmermaidsoul75. So happy to be back.
I have a question and i need your help and advice please. I cannot share my passion for handbags with no one else but all of you :smile:/

I am hesitating to purchase a Gucci 1955 in white leather vs a Chanel 2.55 27cm in black lambskin. I know that they are both so different and not comparable but i need your honest opinion. Need to make a decision soon though...Good to read all of you. My best regards to all! Cheers!

You are YOU, so lovely to have you back with us.

Actually, apart from the colour and leather type those are not such different options. They differ in the finer points though.

Interior: I have Chanel bags but not exactly those specs but I doubt they have the same amount of organisation possibilities as the 1955. If you like a less compartmentalised bag, then Chanel may be a good choice. I find the different sized compartments really handy in the 1955.

I'm not a fan of the microfibre lining in some of the 1955 versions. That includes the white leather. If you don't mind then disregard my opinion. I much prefer the leather interior on the Chanel, my 1955 has burgundy leather so it's more comparative. I wouldn't hesitate to get the white leather too if it had the same.

Exterior: Black (or navy) lambskin is my preferred Chanel leather, but in white, a sturdy, stamped leather is preferable because it's easier to keep clean. I do love my white/ivory bags! So many lovely colours 1955s.

I love my 1955 and (if I had room) I'd buy another - so long as I liked it equally inside and out.

Although Chanel prices keep rising, if you like any version of the 1955 save black, I would get it first as they will be limited.

Reactions: redmermaidsoul75
You are YOU, so lovely to have you back with us.

Actually, apart from the colour and leather type those are not such different options. They differ in the finer points though.

Interior: I have Chanel bags but not exactly those specs but I doubt they have the same amount of organisation possibilities as the 1955. If you like a less compartmentalised bag, then Chanel may be a good choice. I find the different sized compartments really handy in the 1955.

I'm not a fan of the microfibre lining in some of the 1955 versions. That includes the white leather. If you don't mind then disregard my opinion. I much prefer the leather interior on the Chanel, my 1955 has burgundy leather so it's more comparative. I wouldn't hesitate to get the white leather too if it had the same.

Exterior: Black (or navy) lambskin is my preferred Chanel leather, but in white, a sturdy, stamped leather is preferable because it's easier to keep clean. I do love my white/ivory bags! So many lovely colours 1955s.

I love my 1955 and (if I had room) I'd buy another - so long as I liked it equally inside and out.

Although Chanel prices keep rising, if you like any version of the 1955 save black, I would get it first as they will be limited.

Ohhhh hi dear, dear, @papertiger, how wonderful to hear from you!!! Yes! It is me. I treasure all of your opinions and advice. Always good, well analyzed and so thoughtful. Thanks for replying and giving us all of your input.

I agree with you regarding the Gucci 1955 Horsebit bag, i am not a fan of the microfiber lining as either. I hope that Gucci could make an effort on that one day...could be great.
However, I do have the Gucci Zumi Horsebit bag in the 24cm and it is lined in leather!!! So much more luxurious .
@papertiger which is your Gucci 1955? Can you please show me a photo of your beauty?

As for Chanel prices rising, so very true, I don’t think it will ever stop. I understood that there had been a very huge raise in the prices of the 2.55 reissues as well as the timeless classics since Nov./Dec. of 2019, if I am not wrong (I think other models of Chanel bags too).
Last year, if my memory is still good, a Chanel Jumbo Timeless Classic in black caviar was 5700€, the recent price of the same bag is 6500€ today.

That is also a part of the dilemma that i am in, to purchase either the Gucci Horsebit 1955 or the Chanel 2.55 reissue in black distressed leather in the size 27cm, (I think it should be the medium size). I am very aware there is a huge gap in price between the two bags.

I do not know if I understood well your last sentence @papertiger, do you think if I were to purchase the Gucci 1955 Horsebit, the best color is black, as it is a limited color?

Good idea, I love black...but I really love the white, or should I say slightly off white Gucci 1955 Horsebit though. I don’t mind wearing white in the wintertime❄⛄. If I would finally decide to buy the Chanel 2.55 reissue, I would however get it in black distressed leather with gold hardware, staying in the classic idea of the original 2.55.

I want to be really honest, I have the funds for the Gucci 1955 Horsebit right now for a wonderful Christmas present, however, if I put the funds for this aside, I can have enough funds to be able to purchase the Chanel 2.55 reissue in mid February for my birthday. It would be pretty amazing to be able to have both, however it is already so cool that I can have either one. Definitely cannot have both, in these very uncertain times it is not advisable, I guess.

So very happy to be back here. Thanks again @papertiger for your kind reply. Much L❤vE to everyone. Please stay healthy and take good care.

• Love
Reactions: papertiger
Ohhhh hi dear, dear, @papertiger, how wonderful to hear from you!!! Yes! It is me. I treasure all of your opinions and advice. Always good, well analyzed and so thoughtful. Thanks for replying and giving us all of your input.

I agree with you regarding the Gucci 1955 Horsebit bag, i am not a fan of the microfiber lining as either. I hope that Gucci could make an effort on that one day...could be great.
However, I do have the Gucci Zumi Horsebit bag in the 24cm and it is lined in leather!!! So much more luxurious .
@papertiger which is your Gucci 1955? Can you please show me a photo of your beauty?

As for Chanel prices rising, so very true, I don’t think it will ever stop. I understood that there had been a very huge raise in the prices of the 2.55 reissues as well as the timeless classics since Nov./Dec. of 2019, if I am not wrong (I think other models of Chanel bags too).
Last year, if my memory is still good, a Chanel Jumbo Timeless Classic in black caviar was 5700€, the recent price of the same bag is 6500€ today.

That is also a part of the dilemma that i am in, to purchase either the Gucci Horsebit 1955 or the Chanel 2.55 reissue in black distressed leather in the size 27cm, (I think it should be the medium size). I am very aware there is a huge gap in price between the two bags.

I do not know if I understood well your last sentence @papertiger, do you think if I were to purchase the Gucci 1955 Horsebit, the best color is black, as it is a limited color?

Good idea, I love black...but I really love the white, or should I say slightly off white Gucci 1955 Horsebit though. I don’t mind wearing white in the wintertime❄⛄. If I would finally decide to buy the Chanel 2.55 reissue, I would however get it in black distressed leather with gold hardware, staying in the classic idea of the original 2.55.

I want to be really honest, I have the funds for the Gucci 1955 Horsebit right now for a wonderful Christmas present, however, if I put the funds for this aside, I can have enough funds to be able to purchase the Chanel 2.55 reissue in mid February for my birthday. It would be pretty amazing to be able to have both, however it is already so cool that I can have either one. Definitely cannot have both, in these very uncertain times it is not advisable, I guess.

So very happy to be back here. Thanks again @papertiger for your kind reply. Much L❤vE to everyone. Please stay healthy and take good care.

Just to clarify:

Gucci usually carry Black and sig-print versions of different lines as 'forever' options in Gucci Beloved styles. White could be seasonal and there are probably fewer around.

Love the Zumi!!!!

I carry Ivory and of-white all year long too, no problem. Looks so glam.

Chanel CF and Reissues are crazy prices now. I don't feel qualified to tell you whether you should splurge on the 1955 for Christmas or keep saving for Feb. The 1955 has also gone up twice since it came out (in about a year). You have to do what feels right for you.

Here's my baby, it's the Baiadera velvet jacquard:

IMG_20201102_135202_resized_20201106_081356884.jpg
IMG_20201205_101300_resized_20201207_055256577 2.jpg

Just to clarify:

Gucci usually carry Black and sig-print versions of different lines as 'forever' options in Gucci Beloved styles. White could be seasonal and there are probably fewer around.

Love the Zumi!!!!

I carry Ivory and of-white all year long too, no problem. Looks so glam.

Chanel CF and Reissues are crazy prices now. I don't feel qualified to tell you whether you should splurge on the 1955 for Christmas or keep saving for Feb. The 1955 has also gone up twice since it came out (in about a year). You have to do what feels right for you.

Here's my baby, it's the Baiadera velvet jacquard:

View attachment 4928140
View attachment 4928141

@papertiger,
You have such a gorgeous baby!!! Congratulations! Love the jacquard and the colors, so chic! J’adore!
Yes I have to make a decision soon.
I will think about this over the weekend. Either I will have a Gucci box under the Christmas tree or a Chanel box for my birthday, we will see...
Thanks again .

• Love
Reactions: papertiger