GST pricing question - newbie

Nordy's girl

My youngest!
Sep 23, 2008
Hi Chanel lovers!

I am new to Chanel, I have been a long time LV devotee and have been on TPF for awhile. I have fallen for some Chanel bags recently and I am interested in purchasing a pre loved GST and have found one on a fairly reputable site. It is light beige (that is the color listed on the box) and has gold hardware. It's gorgeous! The seller has not used the bag, it is brand new and comes with all the bells and whistles as well as the original receipt from the Beverly Hills store. My question is the price, the seller is asking $4000 and that seems a bit high to me. Through some research I thought this bag was supposed to be priced a bit lower when it was for sale originally. The serial number starts with a 19 so I think that should say around what year it was made? I know it is discontinued in the USA, and the bag is also brand new and comes with the authenticity card, dust bag, box and receipt etc but this seems a bit high. If you could give me a feel as to wether this seems reasonable or not I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much

If it's discontinued and a highly desired color, the seller may be pricing it at a premium or that may be her all-in cost, including tax. There are threads that can help you date the serial number as well as current pricing.

Good luck!

Reactions: Nordy's girl
If it's discontinued and a highly desired color, the seller may be pricing it at a premium or that may be her all-in cost, including tax. There are threads that can help you date the serial number as well as current pricing.

Good luck!

Was able to figure out the serial number and I now know it's from 2014, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

The seller is definitely making a profit on a difficult to find bag. You must decide if you want it enough to purchase for above retail of $2900.00.

Thanks for letting me know what the retail is! That's the piece I was missing. I really love the bag and the fact that it's unused etc but not sure I love it that much. I may see if I can negotiate. Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for the help!

I have this bag and I thought that the $2900 retail tag was already on the higher end.
IMO, $4000 is way overpriced, even if it's NWT and currently discontinued. Even reputable resellers don't ask for that much. If you can forget about the "new with tag" and can settle for excellent/like new condition, you are bound to find a much better deal. I've seen many GSTs in mint condition (used once, or twice per seller) for great prices (definitely under retail). I don't think this bag will move fast with the current asking price, so you definitely have room to negotiate.

I have this bag and I thought that the $2900 retail tag was already on the higher end.
IMO, $4000 is way overpriced, even if it's NWT and currently discontinued. Even reputable resellers don't ask for that much. If you can forget about the "new with tag" and can settle for excellent/like new condition, you are bound to find a much better deal. I've seen many GSTs in mint condition (used once, or twice per seller) for great prices (definitely under retail). I don't think this bag will move fast with the current asking price, so you definitely have room to negotiate.

Good to know! Maybe I will see if they are ok selling for retail. I'm ok with it being used once or twice, I think the idea of having it all (box, dust bag etc) was really appealing, just not that appealing:smile: I didn't know that retail was $2900 until I started the thread so knowing the price will help me so much in looking for better a better deal.

Definitely is overpriced. For $4000 there are brand new Chanel totes/bags that you could get directly from the store. Unless you are adamant on owning a GST, I would head to a boutique and check out their inventory. You may fall in love with something there. Or like others have said if you don't mind it being used, check out fashionphile or yoogis. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Definitely is overpriced. For $4000 there are brand new Chanel totes/bags that you could get directly from the store. Unless you are adamant on owning a GST, I would head to a boutique and check out their inventory. You may fall in love with something there. Or like others have said if you don't mind it being used, check out fashionphile or yoogis. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Yes I am pretty set on a GST in a light beige or beige Clair with gold hardware so I think I will keep on looking. All of you have been so helpful and I am really appreciative! I honestly don't mind if it's been used a few times, as long as it is in good condition I'm happy. I may see if the seller is willing to take retail but not sure as I don't want to offend her. I love fashionphile and yoogi's so I am on the hunt! Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Every few months or so a " brand-new-with tags" GST is posted for $2,900(plus tax) under the Chanel Shopping Thread; Boutique/Dept Store Finds. They have all been black thus far. I have even purchased a GST for my mother per one of these posts just a few months back via Neiman Marcus and fellow dear TPF member "UpTime". The condition was pristine! Price was $2,900 plus CA sales tax. A beige GST is quite a bit more of a rare find. However, a seller asking $4,000 for a handbag that continues to sell today for $2,900(plus tax) if it "just happens" to appear under our Shopping Thread, feels like "highway robbery"!! Ouchie! However, price is often met by demand. Hence if this is truly the handbag of your dreams, and you are not able to locate any others in the color you desire, perhaps it is worth that amount to "you". Please, please do have it authenticated first!!
Please also note: although I do not question the authenticity, necessarily, on Fashionphile, they will not hesitate to up-sell ANYTHING, even Chanel card cases currently being sold in Boutiques and Department Stores. The reason for this is so that the seller can regain their entire cost and Fashionphile gets their cut. Yet when I see the very same SLG on Fashionphile for $750USD that I saw 30 minutes earlier for $450USD at my local Nordstrom, I cannot help but continue to "shake my head".

Last edited:
Every few months or so a " brand-new-with tags" GST is posted for $2,900(plus tax) under the Chanel Shopping Thread; Boutique/Dept Store Finds. They have all been black thus far. I have even purchased a GST for my mother per one of these posts just a few months back via Neiman Marcus and fellow dear TPF member "UpTime". The condition was pristine! Price was $2,900 plus CA sales tax. A beige GST is quite a bit more of a rare find. However, a seller asking $4,000 for a handbag that continues to sell today for $2,900(plus tax) if it "just happens" to appear under our Shopping Thread, feels like "highway robbery"!! Ouchie! However, price is often met by demand. Hence if this is truly the handbag of your dreams, and you are not able to locate any others in the color you desire, perhaps it is worth that amount to "you". Please, please do have it authenticated first!!
Please also note: although I do not question the authenticity, necessarily, on Fashionphile, they will not hesitate to up-sell ANYTHING, even Chanel card cases currently being sold in Boutiques and Department Stores. The reason for this is so that the seller can regain their entire cost and Fashionphile gets their cut. Yet when I see the very same SLG on Fashionphile for $750USD that I saw 30 minutes earlier for $450USD at my local Nordstrom, I cannot help but continue to "shake my head".

I notice the high mark up on SLGs at Fashionphile and shake my head. The Chanel boutique near me has draws full of SLGs and are willing to order a specific one for you if they do not have it. I was told the only time they have waiting list for things is if it seasonal and therefore it is very limited.

Thank you!! this same purse is also being sold on eBay for less, much closer to retail + tax for me so I think I will have it authenticated and then make an offer. I will also keep checking the shopping thread. Thank you so much!!

And yes I agree about the slg's. I see the same thing with the LV items and I don't get it!! Literally some of these items are on the LV website for less money!!

Reactions: Plumeria233
I bought my like new Gst for $2500 US dollars a few months ago. $4k is way too much.

I agree, after looking at all the styles out there that are pre loved and like new, selling for retail I have come to realize that $4k is definitely too much. I was hoping to work out s bargain with the seller but that didn't happen. I will continue my search Thanks for the insight, I appreciate everyone's help!