Greyhounds, whippets and Iggy's!!

It's been a while since I checked back on this thread, and I am so happy to see the new additions! They're all precious!

queennadine: that first picture just makes me melt! lol!
It's so heartwarming to see them all cuddled up together. I recently got a little chi to accompany my iggy, but unfortunately he is more focused on me and doesn't seem to be interested in cuddling with my iggy... it's really a shame and would have loved to see them together like your two babies! I hope it will get better in time though.

shortcake: if you 'go advanced' with a reply you will see the tools to add a picture!

attachment.php

So cute.... :love:

Reactions: CanuckBagLover
I have a black 3 months old Whippet puppy, I've had many dogs but it's my first Whippet. I've always known that Whippets, and most Greyhounds, are "couch potatoes" and very calm dogs in general. I'm therefore amazed at how boisterous he is, he's eating through my house practically! I also have an 11 yearold Jack Russell and they love playing with each other, but sometimes he's too much even for a JR, lol! I was wondering if this is normal for Whippet puppies or if mine is particularly naughty? My DH and I love him dearly and he's ever so funny!

Also what food brands are the most popular for Whippets and Greyhounds in general? Thanks:flowers:

Reactions: maryg1
From what I understand, there is terrier far back in the whippet's ancestry and they are a bit livelier than greyhounds. I have had many greyhounds but never a whippet, so can't speak from experience.

Reactions: duna
I have a black 3 months old Whippet puppy, I've had many dogs but it's my first Whippet. I've always known that Whippets, and most Greyhounds, are "couch potatoes" and very calm dogs in general. I'm therefore amazed at how boisterous he is, he's eating through my house practically! I also have an 11 yearold Jack Russell and they love playing with each other, but sometimes he's too much even for a JR, lol! I was wondering if this is normal for Whippet puppies or if mine is particularly naughty? My DH and I love him dearly and he's ever so funny!

Also what food brands are the most popular for Whippets and Greyhounds in general? Thanks:flowers:
my whippet was lazy even as a puppy. she did have bursts of energy (and still does). i'd check out dogfoodadvisor for food suggestions. i don't buy into the breed-specific dog food.

My whippet was about 6 months old when I rehomed him and he was bonkers for about the next year and a half. He chewed furniture, the bannisters, shoes and especially clothes hangers - absolutely no hanger was safe. He opened cupboards (I used to have to tie the handles together), opened the fridge and jumped up onto counter tops. He’d go completely giddy at the sight of another dog, and knocked me flying many times. House training was a nightmare I prefer to draw a veil over. It made it hard to bond with him, and I’ll be honest, I’m an experienced dog owner but I came very, very close to giving up on him during that time. Anyway, eventually realization dawned that things were improving, and he’s grown into a lovely mature dog - he fits the “chilled” whippet mould and I love him dearly. I think things might’ve been easier if we hadn’t missed out on the early weeks and I’d had him from a young puppy, but I can’t be certain! So, in short, yours sounds pretty normal to me :smile:

Reactions: duna
I haven’t seen this thread in a while, but so nice to look at pictures and hear about all of the different personalities.

My little iggy is 16 now, but I still think he looks like a baby. He certainly eats like a teenage athlete! About 6 meals a day! Which means at least a full can of wet food and as much dry food as he would like. How much do your fur children eat? No, he doesn’t have worms. His health is great.

Nap time!
IMG_5173.JPG

Ah, thanks, that's a good idea!

I would also suggest speaking with your vet. Dental problems tend to be an issue so we use a prescription dental kibble. As the little one has aged we also introduced wet food. First a prescription GI food, but then a renal support diet because we noticed a few abnormalities with his BUN.