Travel Greece! - Tips, Recommendations, Advice?

Thanks to the OP for posting this and also everyone for the replies! I am going with my friend (we are both Asian American) in late May, and I was also reading the Dept. of State's page on Greece and semi-worried.
The State Department advisories can be overly cautious. But then again, they also can state the obvious, like putting out a travel advisory for Libya. NO KIDDING!

I'm leaving for Athens next month and travelling solo. It didn't even occur to me that it would be unsafe in anyway. I've never heard anything about it here.

How long are you in Greece for?
I'm going solo to Greece and turkey in May, and would love to hear your experiences in Greece (are you just going to athens, or all over?) once you get back!

Greece is perfectly safe! Just be sensible like you would anywhere.

Crimes against tourists are deeply shameful to them. Our purse fell out a hole in our bag and some kind Greek waiter drove miles after his shift ended just to drop it off at our hotel with not even a Euro missing. I have never once felt unsafe there.

Greeks are some of the most wonderful, warm and funny people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Also, I really love this story shiny_things!
I have heard such wonderful things about the Greeks, I am so excited to go!

As long as you are sensible and take the normal precautions that you would anywhere, you'll be fine. Athens and the occasional town in the north can be a bit dodgy at times depending on what's going on politically, but certainly no more than any other European city.

You should have no problems whatsoever on the islands.

Greeks have a very dry, sarcastic sense of humour which is very similar to British humour, so if you don't get that sort of humour you may think they are rude, but they're not.

How long are you in Greece for?
I'm going solo to Greece and turkey in May, and would love to hear your experiences in Greece (are you just going to athens, or all over?) once you get back!

Hi, I was only in Greece for 4 days and only in Athens this time. I felt very safe, I walked around by myself at night and nobody harassed me in anyway.

Hi, I was only in Greece for 4 days and only in Athens this time. I felt very safe, I walked around by myself at night and nobody harassed me in anyway.

I'm going this summer and plan on being in Athens for 4 days or so by myself. What are some of the areas to avoid when looking for a hotel? I've read that Syntagma should be avoided....are there any other areas too?

Thx!

I'm going this summer and plan on being in Athens for 4 days or so by myself. What are some of the areas to avoid when looking for a hotel? I've read that Syntagma should be avoided....are there any other areas too?

Thx!

I am not sure why the area around Syntagma should be avoided other than the fact that's it's a main metro station and it's where parliament is so there are often demonstration there. On the other hand, it's right in the middle of everything.
Anyway, I'd probably avoid the area around Omonia but other than that, you'll be just fine.
Again, greeks are lovely and helpful people. You'll be fine.

Just remembered, one time we stayed at a really lovely hotel right near Syntagma called Amalia Hotel Athens, I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure either why Syntagma should be avoided. I stayed right by Acropolis museum, or one subway station away from Syntagma and I wished I'de stayed by Syntagma instead.

I'm not sure either why Syntagma should be avoided. I stayed right by Acropolis museum, or one subway station away from Syntagma and I wished I'de stayed by Syntagma instead.

I am not sure why the area around Syntagma should be avoided other than the fact that's it's a main metro station and it's where parliament is so there are often demonstration there. On the other hand, it's right in the middle of everything.
Anyway, I'd probably avoid the area around Omonia but other than that, you'll be just fine.
Again, greeks are lovely and helpful people. You'll be fine.

Just remembered, one time we stayed at a really lovely hotel right near Syntagma called Amalia Hotel Athens, I highly recommend it.

Thx for your input. It's just that when I was googling areas to avoid some sites/forums said to avoid Syntagma due to protests, etc.

Hey TPFers!

Have you ever been to Kos?
What places are "must-sees"?
Which activities shouldn't I quit on?

I will travel there in May and I wanna plan a little what to do.

I'm 26 and my friend 25. We wanna go out a little, beach of course and are very into mother nature.

It would be nice for some recommendations!

xx
Steph

Hey TPFers!

Have you ever been to Kos?
What places are "must-sees"?
Which activities shouldn't I quit on?

I will travel there in May and I wanna plan a little what to do.

I'm 26 and my friend 25. We wanna go out a little, beach of course and are very into mother nature.

It would be nice for some recommendations!

xx
Steph
Kos is a beautiful island! It is quite small though, very party-centric around Kardemena and Kos town. Other than that I'm not sure I'm of much help, I went once and my OH lived there for 3 months, but we both pretty much just were there for the nightlife! There are day trips that you can book to a couple of archaeological sites, and paradise beach is good for water sports.

Hi, there! Greece is absolutely safe, just when you are in Athens don't go around Omonoia square, especially at night. I am Greek (not from Athens), so I know my way around of course, but believe me it is like in every other big European city (maybe dirtier and a little chaotic, but not unsafe). Have fun!

I am actually going to Athens, Delphi, Crete and Santorini with a friend next month. I am African American with caramel/light-medium complexion, and my friend is Filipino American. The advisory on the US travel website regarding African Americans being detained by the police sounds a bit scary. Do you think we'll be ok? I've been to places in Europe before, and it's been fine in the past.

I am actually going to Athens, Delphi, Crete and Santorini with a friend next month. I am African American with caramel/light-medium complexion, and my friend is Filipino American. The advisory on the US travel website regarding African Americans being detained by the police sounds a bit scary. Do you think we'll be ok? I've been to places in Europe before, and it's been fine in the past.

Here's where you differ. You speak fluenty english with american accent. You will also dress differently than immigrants. You will not have any problem.