Great Top Coat for Bal Corners & Piping - Zelikovitz Top Coat

Hi there hrhsunshine,
This is very helpful! I would like to ask if these would work with some matte finish metallic leather bags? Or shiny leather bags?
Thanks! :-

I would stick to leather with atleast an eggshell sheen. The satin finish does not dry matte. It definitely has a sheen to it. they do make a matte finish top coat but it is SUPER matte. I mean it feels matte and dry. Didn't like it at all.

Reactions: hellooholly
I would stick to leather with atleast an eggshell sheen. The satin finish does not dry matte. It definitely has a sheen to it. they do make a matte finish top coat but it is SUPER matte. I mean it feels matte and dry. Didn't like it at all.

Hi hrhsunshine;
Thanks for your reply and yes as you've mentioned you used
Zelikovitz Acrylic Leather Sheen Top Coat in SATIN so this would be good for a matte silver shine leather. Some sort of similar to the gris light balenciaga bag. I just want to be prepared if there would be scuffings and dirt.

:smile::smile::smile:

Hi hrhsunshine;
Thanks for your reply and yes as you've mentioned you used
Zelikovitz Acrylic Leather Sheen Top Coat in SATIN so this would be good for a matte silver shine leather. Some sort of similar to the gris light balenciaga bag. I just want to be prepared if there would be scuffings and dirt.

:smile::smile::smile:

Ur most welcome. Definitely try a test spot on a back bottom corner. Just to see how the finish looks once dry. You don't need to apply alot. If you are unsure of anything, just refer to the thread or ask. Good luck!

Important Note: I strongly recommend testing this product for light colored Bals with cracks in the leather, as it may cause permanent darkening in the cracks. TEST IN DISCRETE SPOT FIRST.

I did a test spot on my 2013 Curry RH City. I applied a single light coat of Z Coat on the piping where the bunny ears would sit if they hang out. Good spot as it is hidden with the zippers. The leather is very light colored (yellow) and had cracks. The Z Coat (because it is a liquid) caused the wet leather to darken at the cracks. However, when it dried, the darkening in the cracks were still visible.

A similar thing happened when I applied LH to the bag (check out the photos on LH thread). However, the "wet" darkened leather lightened as the LH dried, and the leather returned completely back to normal light color. Looks totally normal and great!

Not sure why Z coat kept the leather in the cracks dark, but I'm not really upset as it was a small discrete test spot. This is definitely a great product. I just put some on my Poupre's piping as well tonight. Great results. I think those with lighter colored Bals just need to be more cautious of the potential permanent darkening along the cracks.

Just my experience showing that yes, we should definitely do test spots on each bag to truly know how it will react to any product.

Untreated piping. Cracking is same yellow as rest of leather.
8425149151_545bd1d7c2_c.jpg

Treated section of piping. Cracking is visible b/c it is slightly darker.
8426241008_2536c209da_c.jpg

Last edited:
Those photos are obviously super magnified so you can see what I'm talking about. You really have to be looking for these cracks to notice them when you just look at the bag. Will post tomorrow if there is any change.

Thanks for sharing the advice on test spot Sun! I was planning to put it on my new-to-me Nuage city!! Will test it out first or to play safe, keep it to darker coloured Bal bags :smile:

thanks for sharing this experience hun!! I have just ordered mine! :greengrin:
I hope it can cover some of the faded and slight darken corners of my rose bruyere.. do you think i can cover the darken corners?? I've also order a water base leather dye from them. hope to touch up the worn corners (light colors definitely show more wear quicker on the corners!)

^^ I've just ordered the top coat for my anthra RGGH corners..
I also had darkening on my coq corners and I applied Tarrago self shine Leather Dye which did a great job of covering any darkened bits. Just be sure to follow the instructions...ie use the leather preparer first and carefully apply the dye very thinly with a sponge. They should come up great!

Reactions: thereese
thanks for sharing this experience hun!! I have just ordered mine! :greengrin:
I hope it can cover some of the faded and slight darken corners of my rose bruyere.. do you think i can cover the darken corners?? I've also order a water base leather dye from them. hope to touch up the worn corners (light colors definitely show more wear quicker on the corners!)

^^ I've just ordered the top coat for my anthra RGGH corners..
I also had darkening on my coq corners and I applied Tarrago self shine Leather Dye which did a great job of covering any darkened bits. Just be sure to follow the instructions...ie use the leather preparer first and carefully apply the dye very thinly with a sponge. They should come up great!

Hey Bal Pals!!
I have never used it for "darkened" corners. I do use it for extra protection before anything happens to the corners and when the corner's glazing has rubbed off. I guess the Z coat will give darkened corners a coating of protection so that the corner doesn't darken more as long as the Z coat is on.

Pls share before and after shots!

I ordered Super sheen leather sealer from Tandy on amazon. It's a acrylic, water bases flexible high gloss. I think it's similar to the Z product. I tried to order the other one on their site, but for some reason the site wouldn't let me. (I'm impatient)
So hopefully this will work. I'm going to try on my bleu mineral when I get it this week. I'll post some pics. Also will update after several uses of the bag if there is a change.
Wish I found out about treating the bags before. My Atlantique bal scuffed only after a few uses:sad:
Also my flat clutch tempete is dark on the corners.