Graduating on time????

MzSHERRY

sherry
O.G.
Aug 9, 2006
I was just curious to see how many of you with a college education took longer than the general 4 years to graduate. I have never been too fond of school and it just seems to be dragging on forever and ever. I will be going on to be 2 years behind my graduating class and I just feel so crappy about myself.. and was wondering if anyone could share some experiences of pearls of wisdom with me. :crybaby:

I am with you there! It will take me 6 years for my undergrad. I started undeclared and then ended up switching my major a couple of time before figuring things out. I now have one year left. I've felt very down about that before (heck, one of my best friends will have done both her undergrad AND grad school in the same amount of time), but oh well. I can't change things, and I know I'll be proud of myself when I'm done. In the end, it will be worth it, you know? It's very frustrating at times, though! I'm sick of being a student, and now I'm not sure if I want to do grad school anymore because I just want a regular job and not have to take any more classes and spend any more money on tuition.

Aw cheer up hon. It's very common.

It took me... 7 years!!!

I started going to college when I was 15 as an early admit student. Because no one had done it before, they only let me take one class the first semester and MY MOM HAD TO COME TO CLASS WITH ME (embarassing). Then they let me take a full load. This was at community college. I finished my two years there when I was 17 --- on track.

Then I signed up for university... but felt really overwhelmed and decided to stay at the community college longer and "grow up" a bit. When I finally made it to university, I changed my major TWICE and ended up adding a second bachelors degree.

So, all in all, I've been in my college's system for SEVEN YEARS. I just graduated a few years ago.

I don't think I know anyone who took 4 years. Most of my friends changed majors / took a year off, etc., etc.

My main advice --- try to enjoy college. If you're not enjoying it - try to change majors or something. It should be an enjoyable experience. :smile: GL.

I got two degrees in four years.

If you want my honest opinion: anything more is a waste of time and money. I hauled butt to make sure that I didn't have to spend an extra year dwaddling. I went to a large public school (a University of California) where it was often difficult to get the classes you needed, but I managed to do so anyway, for two majors. I also managed to squeeze in studying abroad.

Did I lose anything from not taking a 5th year? Absolutely not... I graduated with the same classes and knowledge under my belt.

I don't think it's a good thing for an employer to see that it took 5 years to complete one degree. This is just my experience: a lot of people told me it doesn't matter if I get one degree or two, if I graduate in four years or five. But the reality was that all my interviewers were impressed that I mushed two degrees into four years.

I totally apologize if it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn! I don't mean to do that. I just want to be honest because I feel like this is something a lot of people won't say. The fact of the matter is, whether you go to a large public institution or a small private school, it should not take you more than 4 years to finish one undergraduate degree. In every instance, with the only exceptions being students who had to drop out for a quarter or semester due to family matters, the students who failed to finish on time just didn't devote enough to their studies.

If you want to continue schooling, I suggest a graduate program -- not continuing along in undergrad.

I got two degrees in four years.

If you want my honest opinion: anything more is a waste of time and money. I hauled butt to make sure that I didn't have to spend an extra year dwaddling. I went to a large public school (a University of California) where it was often difficult to get the classes you needed, but I managed to do so anyway, for two majors. I also managed to squeeze in studying abroad.

Did I lose anything from not taking a 5th year? Absolutely not... I graduated with the same classes and knowledge under my belt.

I don't think it's a good thing for an employer to see that it took 5 years to complete one degree. This is just my experience: a lot of people told me it doesn't matter if I get one degree or two, if I graduate in four years or five. But the reality was that all my interviewers were impressed that I mushed two degrees into four years.

I totally apologize if it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn! I don't mean to do that. I just want to be honest because I feel like this is something a lot of people won't say. The fact of the matter is, whether you go to a large public institution or a small private school, it should not take you more than 4 years to finish one undergraduate degree. In every instance, with the only exceptions being students who had to drop out for a quarter or semester due to family matters, the students who failed to finish on time just didn't devote enough to their studies.

If you want to continue schooling, I suggest a graduate program -- not continuing along in undergrad.

A waste of time and money? I don't think so at all. If you're spending those extra undergrad days trying out different areas and finding something you love... how could it not be worth every second? Sorry, I think you're way out of line.

And honestly - why would you even post this to someone who's already feeling down about themselves? Rude. :cursing:

A waste of time and money? I don't think so at all. If you're spending those extra undergrad days trying out different areas and finding something you love... how could it not be worth every second? Sorry, I think you're way out of line.

And honestly - why would you even post this to someone who's already feeling down about themselves? Rude. :cursing:

Sorry if you felt it was rude -- that wasn't the spirit in which I posted. If the original poster wanted sympathy, I would have been happy to offer just that. I know college can be tough -- I've obviously been there, too! However, I thought what she wanted were opinions.

I think there are many different venues for pursuing something you love... via graduate programs, internships, fellowships, careers. I don't think anyone can deny that the most logical course of action is to leave undergrad in a timely manner to pursue one of the aforementioned: graduate programs, internships, fellowships, careers.

Again, not my intention to be rude. And frankly, EmilyK, an interesting point from someone such as yourself. Just as you're free to share your opinions, I am free to share mine and I don't believe I've done so in a demeaning manner.

ROFL, of course you can say whatever you want, but you definitely did come across as rude, IMO.

W/E. :rolleyes:

Sorry if you felt it was rude -- that wasn't the spirit in which I posted. If the original poster wanted sympathy, I would have been happy to offer just that. I know college can be tough -- I've obviously been there, too! However, I thought what she wanted were opinions.

I think there are many different venues for pursuing something you love... via graduate programs, internships, fellowships, careers. I don't think anyone can deny that the most logical course of action is to leave undergrad in a timely manner to pursue one of the aforementioned: graduate programs, internships, fellowships, careers.

Again, not my intention to be rude. And frankly, EmilyK, an interesting point from someone such as yourself. Just as you're free to share your opinions, I am free to share mine and I don't believe I've done so in a demeaning manner.

Everyone gets through school at their own pace. Although I got two degrees in 4 years like IntlSet, I disagree with her statement that employers care how long it takes you to get through your education (I have been in the workforce about 17 years now after college, and IntlSet, I believe you've been in the workforce for about 2-3 since college, correct me if I'm wrong).

What employers really care about is someone who values their education and works hard. Many people take more than 4 years due to their financial position, switching majors, etc.

You are much better off taking your time and finding what you really like as opposed to rushing through it and being unhappy with the results.

Everyone gets through school at their own pace. Although I got two degrees in 4 years like IntlSet, I disagree with her statement that employers care how long it takes you to get through your education (I have been in the workforce about 17 years now after college, and IntlSet, I believe you've been in the workforce for about 2-3 since college, correct me if I'm wrong).

What employers really care about is someone who values their education and works hard. Many people take more than 4 years due to their financial position, switching majors, etc.

You are much better off taking your time and finding what you really like as opposed to rushing through it and being unhappy with the results.

Lorimatthews, you are totally right! Having recently graduated, I do not have a lot to show in terms of experience, so academics was my backup: hence my tooting the horn about graduating on time with two degrees. You are 100% right that after a while, employers just don't care. Plus, you don't have to disclose the years you were in school on your resume... just the year of graduation is sufficient.

Intlset--I have to disagree, although I didn't attend undergraduate school in my home state our only state-run university here makes it practically impossible to graduate in 4 years unless you 1) Know exactly what your major is going to be from day 1 and 2) Are able to get all the classes you need when you need them. I have many friends who attended this University. They worked full time, were on task, took full loads and were still unable to graduate in 4 years. When I hear of people who are able to do so in 4 years at this Uni it is a rare feat.

MsSherry, hang in there. Graduation will come soon enough. If you continue to plug away and maintain focus and committment it will come to you.

As a person who did get through undergrad in 4 years, has been employed and is now in grad school I should say that no-one cared crap about how many years I'd been in school. I've been in school with people who changed their major, with people who could only study part time because of financial pressures - there is no hard and fast rule among employers that you should finish your degree in 4 years, or that it shows a remarkable achievement.

In fact I worked for a year with an instructor who was hired because he had a double major in Physics and Math AND a Master's Degree, and who got fired partway because he knew neither Physics or Math well enough to teach anyone else.

No-one cares about what you did while you were an undergrad. When you are in a job or interview for a job, what is important is that you come across as capable of handling your workload and managing your time efficiently.

Wow that is so true then there wouldn't be any part-time college students or night school, or Saturday school or Adult learning Centers. Anyway I still got 2 more years until I graduate but it will be done in a year and a half hopefully because the classes are only 9 weeks long. And I'm 29. Hang in there Ms Sherry you will be ok. Don't be so down on yourself. You will be graduating before you know it.

^^Well said Merika, there are a lot of single parents, people who must work to pay for college, etc. Not everyone is able to concentrate on their studies and make it their number 1 priority due to life circumstances.

Oops - typo. I said I just graduated a few years ago --- I mean I just graduated a few DAYS ago. My bad! :blush:

Also, i ended up taking a lot of electives. Even though math is not my thing, I took 4 math classes "for fun," totally struggled in them... but loved every minute of it. Now I'm even considering going back to study some more math!

Six years seems like it could end up hurting you if you do change your mind and decide to go to grad school. Plus, if you don't like it maybe it's better to hurry up and get it over with so you can do something you do like!