Workplace Grad school application help required!

Alana1981

O.G.
Mar 16, 2006
Hello everyone! I hope I am posting in the right place. So I have a fairly urgent question. I am in the middle of applying to graduate school and one of the schools requires I submit a writing sample, preferably related to the area of study I wish to pursue as an MA student. So I have a problem -- do I submit one from outside the area of study that received an A plus and has been submitted for an award, or should I submit one from inside the area of study that received a lower grade (a low A/high A minus)? Thoughts?

If they're asking for a sample preferably related to your area of study, then submit one from the area of study where you received the lower grade. IMO there isn't much difference between an A+/A/A-.

Did you get comments back on your paper when you received the grade? Any writing samples you submit for grad school applications should be fine-tuned, so I suggest polishing the paper that pertains to your potential field of study; do a little more research, strengthen your argument, etc.

Why not revise something that was a good grade in your area of study. Do they seek a specific topic and want you to compose something new? If not, then revise what you have receive feedback on. Also, if it's been a while since you wrote the piece, you'll have fresh eyes and will see things that can improve it.

Commit the time to this one as the essays weigh heavily. I got into grade school with a less than stellar gpa (transfer student, so harder, upper level classes were all that was in my GPA), and it was my writing sample and recommendations that did it.

Agree with the above posters. Use a writing sample that is relevant to your area of study and revise as necessary. Writing samples will be weighted heavily when you are borderline getting in.

As a professor reviewing grad school applications I agree with the others. Disregarding the instructions is a big no-no and could result in people completely ignoring the application.