Got to the point....

MollieO

May 20, 2011
I was supposed to go to jury duty this morning (but I was excused) and found myself in a quandery. I spoke to my mom last night and she said that it wasnt a good idea to carry a designer bag to court (she had her reasons). I told her I wasn't worried, but I took her opinion to heart.

But then I had an issue.

I don't own anything but designer.

I own all Chanel, LV, Tod's and, my lone Prada. I've been purging old bags for a decade without a thought. So, I started going through my collection/closet and was looking for the most un-designer designer bag. The panic started to rise. I went through boxes, dust bags, and an old bin where I thought I may have a Kennth Cole from 1998. Dig-dig-dig. Nothing. I finally settled on the Epi Fawn closed tote (I had to remove the tortoishelle bag charm!) as you really have to look for the LV embossing in the corner.

Anyone else in the situation where if you had to carry an understated bag...you'd be up the creek?! I guess I never realized I was this far in.

I was supposed to go to jury duty this morning (but I was excused) and found myself in a quandery. I spoke to my mom last night and she said that it wasnt a good idea to carry a designer bag to court (she had her reasons). I told her I wasn't worried, but I took her opinion to heart.

But then I had an issue.

I don't own anything but designer.

I own all Chanel, LV, Tod's and, my lone Prada. I've been purging old bags for a decade without a thought. So, I started going through my collection/closet and was looking for the most un-designer designer bag. The panic started to rise. I went through boxes, dust bags, and an old bin where I thought I may have a Kennth Cole from 1998. Dig-dig-dig. Nothing. I finally settled on the Epi Fawn closed tote (I had to remove the tortoishelle bag charm!) as you really have to look for the LV embossing in the corner.

Anyone else in the situation where if you had to carry an understated bag...you'd be up the creek?! I guess I never realized I was this far in.

I know how you feel as I own mostly Chanel bags and a few LV. DH and I were going to take our DD to the zoo last fall and I realized I did not have anything casual enough for the zoo. I ended up buying a LV Totally in damier azur to tote our stuff around for the day and the sad thing is that is the only time I have used it. If I had to choose an understated bag I probably would choose something Chanel because it is not very recognizable in my city. I love the reissues because most people do not realize that it is Chanel but do recognize it is a simple and elegant bag.

I've been on jury duty twice and to be truthful, I didn't want to be picked for the trial, but I was. Both times I went to court really dressed down, jeans, ordinary bag. I later learned that a person who dresses up, looks really professional, is less likely to be selected during the "voir dire". Cynically, some attorneys want "less intelligent" easily swayed jurors and if you look very classy, they'll think that they won't be able to pull the wool over your eyes. I know I'm generalizing, but many defense attorney's believe a classy lady won't empathize with a common criminal.

But, IMHO, if you want to be on the jury, dress down and look ordinary.

LV is getting too common and I see it everywhere. It's ok to wear LV to work and I'm pretty sure you won't be the only one. I don't remember exactly but I think I took my LV with me for jury duty. It's so common that noone really stare anymore IMO

hmmm last I went to jury duty I used my chanel. Everyone was raving about a coach purse that someone brought. nobody noticed my chanel. As far I know Chanel is very discreet. At least where I live.

but for a monogrammed boat tote by LL Bean & a lovely straw beach bag i only own Chanel handbags...maybe i would have chosen a Cerf tote to wear to jury duty & wear the CC's turned around...something to think about especially after reading the thread where a tpf gal just had her bag snatched right out of the front seat of her car...
we all have to start being more careful...

Have found myself in the exact same situation, lol, now I have a black long champ, not the pliage but a black N/S one with leather handles and fabric body that works perfect for these types of occasions, also, when I travel I stick my Chanel inside it so I can put it on the floor or on the overhead bin.

Joansie- that is what my mom was saying- the courthouse and parking is in an Ok neighborhood, but she is terrified I'll get attacked for my bags or Chanel jewelry. I get it. I'm 5'9 and far from petite- probably what I have going for me!

My new Take Away is very understated and probably only a well versed Chanel person would recognize it- H-Angle's point!

I'm in good company. I will be looking for a basic lack tote for such circumstances...and yes, it may just be Longchamp!

I keep my LV noir epi Madeleine for this exact reason (I'm a lawyer). Your mom was right. There are definitely times when designer logos are not the best choice.

I can relate although I own a few non high end designer purses that I use and enjoy. I own several Kate Spade totes and handbags for situations where I don't want to be carrying a designer purse. They have cute, well made structured bags (I prefer structured bags!) for less than $300. I also have other non-designer bags that I bought from my travels that I use when running errands or while walking my dog.

My totally mono LV and black Muse I YSL serve me well for similar occasions. And I also stick a Chanel inside the totally when I travel, similar to the tactics from another member here. It was a good advise not to carry a Chanel to the jury duty.

habanerita said:
Have found myself in the exact same situation, lol, now I have a black long champ, not the pliage but a black N/S one with leather handles and fabric body that works perfect for these types of occasions, also, when I travel I stick my Chanel inside it so I can put it on the floor or on the overhead bin.

I bought the same longchamp you have when I found myself in this predicament!