Good thermal protector?

meganfm

O.G.
Oct 14, 2008
I straighten my hair everyday, and I'm trying to find a good thermal protector. I used to use a salon one, but I thought it was way too expensive, and I didn't like that it was a spray (didn't feel like it did a good job).

I just bought the John Frieda one, and it's not bad, but the sales clerk told me 1 pump would do the job, but my hair is thick (although short) and I needed at least 4 pumps to cover my hair (even then, I felt I could have used more).

Any suggestions? I'm looking for an after-shower product, not a shampoo/conditioner that has that in it.

When I get my hair done, the stylist uses something by CHI (not the spray though) and then Moroccan Oil when she's done. If I'm going to flat iron, I usually use Biolage serum first.

I have tried a few different types... they are all sprays though... so not sure if you're interested but I'll put my thoughts anyways:

Tresemme Heat Tamer Spray
- this is my favorite; it's light weight and smells good but nothing overpowering; sprays light and even out of the bottle

Aveda Brilliant Damage Control
- I normally like the smell of aveda products but this one makes me sneeze like CRAZY, very overpowering; it's a bit heavier than the tresemme kind but not too bad; I thought it was overpriced though http://www.aveda.com/templates/products2/spp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY12090&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5818

Pantene Pro-V Portecting Damage Defender Spray
- ugh this one is REALLY heavy; I have thin hair and it weighs it down a LOT; I don't recommend this one at all unless your hair can take product that feels like leave in conditioner... smells good but way too heavy for me and the spray isn't as light as the tresemme either

I have also tried a product in a short red bottle but I can't remember the name of it... also a spray; I didn't mind that one either hmmm I'll let you know if I figure out the name.

Edit: the red bottle one is Alberto Vo5 Miracle Mist Heat Defense Conditioning Spray

I use T3 iron booster or something like that. Its in sephora.com. I'd check the exact name but I'm on my phone. I like it a lot. Its not a spray and it makes my hair feel SO soft and it needs it lol

I use Alberto Vo5, so far so good, no complaints. Very light, and smells good. I have normal asian hair, not too thick or thin.

I read on magazines that dove makes a pretty good heat spray as well.

I like Chi Silk Infusion mixed in with Terax Life Drops when I'm drying then straightening. If I'm only straightening, then either a little bit of the Silk Infusion or some Tresemme Heat Tamer spray.

I use Alberto Vo5, so far so good, no complaints. Very light, and smells good. I have normal asian hair, not too thick or thin.

I read on magazines that dove makes a pretty good heat spray as well.

Is that the V05 Extreme Style Heat Defense Conditioning Spray you're talking about? I use that one when I blow dry. It works well. However, I haven't tried it with a flat iron yet.

I use Proclere Infatreat from Sallys. It works really well on my long hair and makes it really shiny. It's a spray to use on damp hair post washing. The John Freida one dried my hair out. You need to make sure that there is no alcohol in it as if so, it will dry your hair.