Going Vegan

I want to apologize to you; I misunderstood the intent of your original post. All you are asking for is ideas for vegan bags. There really are hundreds of posts about vegan bags but the search feature here is not the best (in my opinion) so I guess we'll just have to let that go, as I couldn't come up with anything.

I think I know which two videos you saw, and I couldn't watch them - just seeing the title and knowing they were done by PETA was enough for me. PETA is a great organization, and here is a link from their site that gives several fashion alternatives: http://www.peta.org/living/fashion/

Thank you so much for understanding. Really I did not want to start a big drama at all, just wanted to find alternative beautiful bags :smile:

I do still need to find out how to post images though I'd really like to post some pretty bags it might take the focus off an argument and back to the original intention of the thread. :smile:

Thank you Pew Pew for recommending Matt & Nat, I really like their green 'Fabi' backpack...

http://mattandnat.com/shop/collections/vintage/fabi-amazon

Reactions: liliasla
There are other threads which are just about non-leather bags, nothing more, just about bags.
And if something looks like leather- it is very simple- it pretends to be one.
Like a fake bags looking like an authentic one...

This sentence from your first post doesn't show like this is a 'non leather bags' appreciation thread...
Ok, I'm done here :broom:

I was just explaining how I got to my decision, it's about Idealism. A beautiful bag does not need to pretend to be leather. Idk how you arrive at this. I don't want to argue with you. I just want to appreciate non leather bags thats all.

Thank you so much for understanding. Really I did not want to start a big drama at all, just wanted to find alternative beautiful bags :smile:

I do still need to find out how to post images though I'd really like to post some pretty bags it might take the focus off an argument and back to the original intention of the thread. :smile:

Thank you Pew Pew for recommending Matt & Nat, I really like their green 'Fabi' backpack...

http://mattandnat.com/shop/collections/vintage/fabi-amazon

The easiest way, and the best in my opinion, is to save the image to your computer in a place you can find it again. Then, in your post, you click on Manage Attachments, click on the Browse button to find the file you want, then click on Upload after you've found the photo, and there you go. A lot of people will post 'links' to images on other web sites, which is bad, because eventually the store gets new product and the image is no longer there, so over the years photos disappear here.

Attachments

• ss16-vintage-fabi-amazon-1.jpg
    ss16-vintage-fabi-amazon-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 557
Reactions: Meggowaffle
Never purchased a vegan handbag. I particularly prefer a good sturdy nylon handbag- no animals harmed:smile:
Vegan " leather" as they write in the description nowadays is a complete joke. It is nothing but PU -polyurethane. It is not durable and no way healthy for people, animals , or environment. Manufactures should be fined for using such materials.

I bought a recycled leather bag. Repurposed from vintage airline seats.
When posted, would've thought I'd introduced bubonic plague onto forum--germophobes went nuts.
Though leather was washed multiple times before upcycling by company.
And saved thousands of animal lives, by reusing quality hides.

Meh.
People do what they do.

Marisaa, I'm not the OP, but I can understand where she's coming from - she's looking for vegan (animal friendly) bag ideas after having recently seen two very graphic videos about the cruelty by some fashion houses involving their use of Ostrich and Crocodile. You can find the videos on the PETA web site. I myself can't watch things like that without sobbing hysterically.

New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/26/fashion/prada-peta-hermes-fendi.html?_r=0

I am not vegan and use cruelty-free bags made of leather that is discarded; the animals were not raised for the leather. There is a big difference. Prada, Hermes, Vuitton - all guilty - the info is freely available online. I had no idea!!! And that is the last I'll write about it.
Oh, nice! Now you have done it! Now you are putting guilty lables... Way to go way to go...
In my opinion, people on this forum are grown up adults and do not need to be mentored or educated by pointing their noses to videos and such. This is very impolite. It is sad that people turning vegan are going so mad that they completely forget their manners.

• Angry
Reactions: momiecat
I don't usually post but I can't understand why there's so much hatred and negative response to this thread. I am not a vegetarian and I love leather bags, but I totally understand why OP started this thread - to find out more options for vegan leather bags - and where else would be better to find out about this other than Purse Forum (this is not Leather Purse Forum I don't think). I think it is a good thread as I had no idea there is this much cruelty towards animals (I know, and I bet a lot of people are unaware) but I also refuse to believe everything I see based on one video or website.

I am at the point in my life that I want to be fully aware of the choices I make and how it affects the bigger picture, so I feel excited to follow this thread until I read all the negative comments. I think if you feel like you don't have anything to contribute or don't belong here, then no need to follow the thread? No point posting harsh comments.

If you take a minute to read OPs first post I don't think she meant to offend anyone.

Thanks OP for starting this thread, I would love to find out more about vegan leathers as I have a hard time understanding what the difference between so called 'vegan leather' like Stella McCartney or flat out PU like most bags on cheaper end, say Target?

I have used so many PU bags especially when I was younger and before I came to know about designer bags, and I remember really hating that they crack after a while. Maybe a better alternative to leather would be canvas? Just a thought.

Thanks for the link to the PETA and Mat & Nat websites! Very informative!

LOL. This poor girl posted an innocuous statement about non leather bags and people come out of the woodwork to say she is being offensive in her appreciation for vegan bags...

Right? I am actually laughing out loud here at the level of defensiveness shown by some folks in this thread toward an entirely non-accusatory opening post. No one is forcing anybody to post in threads that are obviously outside of their comfort zones, but I guess the urge to name-call and act offended is too strong. :biggrin:

Anyway, I love learning about bag brands that don't rely on leather, even though I do still love a nice leather bag. It was a thread like this one that introduced me to Matt & Nat, and I love their wallets. I'm also a fan of high quality nylon bags, like MZ Wallace and to a lesser extent, Tumi and Longchamp. The Etsy seller Bookhou is another favorite of mine. They make bags out of organic linen and canvas, with minimal leather trim for zipper pulls.

The first post in this thread read to me as someone interested in good vegan bag options. I didn't read it as the OP being upset or looking for an argument with anyone that carries leather.

Please be respectful and I think it's great to see what other options there are out there, what better place than here!

Somehow I continue to be surprised by the defensive posts when the topic of veganism/vegetarianism and leather/exotic skins comes up here. *sigh*

To the OP, congrats on your decision. There are some very nice vegan friendly bags out there and I am sure you find some options that work for you. Personally, I have a Stella McCartney Falabella Tote in the mini size and love it. Matt and Nat has been around for years. Below are a links to a couple others that look interesting as well. Good luck to you!

https://mattandnat.com/

http://www.jillmilan.com/

https://www.gunasthebrand.com/

IMHO the discussion of bag production is just another aspect of bag talk, and I chose to open the OP's thread knowing where it might go. If the OP wants to support an intentionally vegan company (rather than just "incidentally" vegan, e.g. using synthetic because it's cheaper) that's cool with me, and I had a recommendation even though I'm not vegan. I don't feel that the OP should feel she mis-stepped, which is my personal opinion.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
I love this thread as the OP started it (not as a debate on the shoulds and should nots).

I would love to see more vegan options for bags (though I do buy leather too).

One thing to keep in mind is that just because something's not leather does not mean it is not produced with animal products.

Stella's line is committed to quality, non-animal products, which is one reason why the prices are high, but I'd love to see what other options are out there.