Going to Venice - help please!

Faithful

Its still me...
O.G.
Mar 4, 2006
Hi there

I am going to Venice at the end of this month and I am booking a hotel direct. However there are 100s of them! Has anyone got any recommendations. I want to stay as central as possible ie I can walk most places so can anyone tell me what area I need, a name of a hotel or just some general help!

TIA:smile:

Hotel Al Sole is in a relatively easy to find area. I was supposed to stay there last year, but due to flooding in Venice, I had to stay somewhere else last year. I walked everywhere in Venice. I think Al Sole is about 10 minute walk from the bus station. 15 minute walk to St Marks Square. The streets aren't exactly easy to navigate (at least it wasn't for me) and keep in mind that theres are LOT of staircases. (Those bridges over the water) That would slow you down a bit. Have fun!

Get a book from the "Great Sleeps" or "Cheap Sleeps" from Sandra Guf~something. What you read is what you get. I love her books. You might be able to get it used from Amazon.

Get a multiday pass for the water bus. It's like a bus on water. The boats/ferries go everywhere in Venice.

In Venice, I used to use my pass when I got tired of walking/standing. I would ride around in the water bus/ferry and just look at the sites while my feet were happily resting.

You will love Venice. I think it is the most beautiful city in Europe. Prague is second. Visit all the museums. They are almost always housed in mansions so you will be getting a view of both art and architecture.

Bon Voyage!

Oh man I can't remember the name but am digging around. Don't laugh but I stayed with a group in a barebones former CONVENT which was right off the Accademia bridge and just a 10 minute walk from San Marco square. Cheap but TDF location.

ITA Venice is amazing. I loved walking and taking the vaporetto (waterbus) everywhere. No cars, no bicycles...so unique!

Have a great time!!

I can't remember the name of where I stayed for the life of me. However, tripadvisor.com is great for looking at hotels. It'll show you the top ranked ones by their members and you can work things out from there. So far, I've never been let down with recommendations from that site.

However, tripadvisor.com is great for looking at hotels. It'll show you the top ranked ones by their members and you can work things out from there. So far, I've never been let down with recommendations from that site.

^So true. I can spend hours on Trip Advisor when we're planning a trip. We stayed at the Gritti Palace when we were in Venice last year. Our rooms were not large, but they were exquisite and filled with beautiful Murano glass and plush furnishings. The staff is lovely and they serve wonderful breakfast ( help yourself to champagne!) and cocktails on the terrace overlooking the grand Canal.

Hi there! I've been reading TPF for about a year now and this is my first post.

I just got back from Venice and stayed at Residenza Laguna. It's right off Rialto bridge and about 10 min. walk to St. Mark's Square. From the outside, the hotel doesn't seem much but inside, the rooms are very clean and homey. Breakfast is included but not all that--it was just ok. There's no lift but the owner will help you with your baggages. If you're staying for a week or more, get the Venice card. If not, each ferry ride is about 6 euros.

Have fun!