Going from Chanel --> Hermes?

Switching to hermes bag the price is 1st consider,if u looking for kelly i know the price just more expensive than chanel jumbo abit ard 2k, but the problem here is no avaiable kelly in stores,only too lucky walk in , u may have to buy many stuffs like scaft or belt in hermes store first,or another options buy from reseller ,make sure can identify authentic and fake, and becareful when trading only

I was hard core Chanel and had been collecting their bags for over 20 years. I decided to buy one birkin and thought I would be happy with that one Hermes bag.

That was then.

I still own Chanel but have sold off most of them and only kept the basic classics which I use from time to time (usually in the rain).

My H collection has taken over every closet in my house. It is SO addictive! It's like that old Lay's potato chips commercial, bet you can't eat just one!

The price increases are daunting. I realize all designers will have increases, but it feels like Chanel's have had more than most. It's wild!!

Congrats on your birkin!

I did it and haven't looked back. The increasing prices and declining quality pushed me along too. I got my first birkin at the beginning of this year and it made probably made me happier than any Chanel I've bought. I got my birkin as a walk in so there is hope!

A gold bag with PHW would be an absolute *dream*! That's awesome.

BV makes some seriously snuggly-worthy bags. I love the way they feel! Sometimes I almost feel as though H SA's dislike Chanel. Not all of them - but some of them. It appears as though they feel like Chanel is posing to be the next H, or that they are pretty passionate that the quality not matching the price. Could very-well just be my impression, however. They were all very nice - but didn't have many great things to say about Chanel. ;)

Thanks so much for the good-luck wishes.

I used to only be a Chanel and Bottega gal. I still use them occassionally but not as much as before due to my Hermes. However, as others have noted, I too feel that Chanel and Bottega have their place where Hermes can sometimes fall short.

I was very lucky to be offered a 35cm Gold with PHW - my first Birkin - the very first time I walked into my H boutique. I was carrying one of my Bottega Veneta Cabats that day, which they loved and complimented me on, so they knew that I loved beautiful bags.

After that day, I purchased an enamel bracelent from my SA and mentioned wanting a Black with GHW 35cm Birkin at some point. A few days later my SA called me and said she had one in stock! I purchased both of my Birkins within 2 months of each other. So, buying from the boutique without having to puchase thousands of other things is possible. Good luck in your quest.

How FUN!!! And you're a Kelly fan as well? It seems so many people (not on tPF, but where I live) prefer Birkins. I don't think I've ever even seen a Kelly, but it's definitely "my" bag.

I totally agree with this! I have about a dozen scarves, a watch and a few bracelets, always bought things I loved without thought of some sales target in order to be offered a Kelly or Birkin. My SA and I have talked endlessly about the craftsmanship, the stories behind the scarves, etc. She told me I could place a special order years ago. I wasn't ready then, but I'm now on the list for a Kelly when one comes in. If one doesn't come in by the next PO, I'll order one then. I understand H is really limiting the inventory of bags in the US stores, but it is do-able. And in my limited experience, you don't have to spend $100K to be offered a bag.

When I first came to the H forum, I asked if a Kelly could go casual.. thinking at that pricepoint, it's *have* to be a formal bag, right? After stalking the wardrobe threads, I agree - H bags go casually fantastically!!!! And (particularly with smaller H handbags) there are a lot of Hermes tPFers that do formal very well.

I love Chanel and use H and C in my rotation. I absolutely use my H bags more but I like the dressiness of a few of my Chanels and have never thought of a Birkin or Kelly as a formal bag (though lots of people pull this off beautifully).

How FUN!!! And you're a Kelly fan as well? It seems so many people (not on tPF, but where I live) prefer Birkins. I don't think I've ever even seen a Kelly, but it's definitely "my" bag.

The Kelly is "my" bag too ... Birkins are definitely more popular and well-known, but I prefer the Kelly -- largely because I simply cannot do handheld-only bags. I love the look of the Kelly, too -- for me, it is more versatile than the Birkin -- but the shoulder strap is what makes it workable for me. Good luck getting your Kelly!

is it possible you can have both? :P

i think it would depend on how long i would need to save up for the kelly, if its going to be a long time after buying a chanel i'd probably just choose the kelly- but keep in mind usually it can be a long wait if you buy it brand new from the boutique, so you have enough time to save up anyway!

from my own experience- if you are after a kelly 32 it should fit more than a 2.55 , and if you want it to look more formal then sellier in a smooth leather like swift or box would be the best choice. i like my 2.55 because it's still a little lighter, but mine are all M/L's. another thing to consider is if you use the 2.55 (jumbo) as a day bag, and you tend to have more things in your bag it may get heavy as well and leave ugly chain marks on your arms.

akillian24 said:
Hello All!

I'm dabbling with the notion of making my next bag purchase an orange-box. :cool:

To-date I've collected Chanel, but always had an eye for a 32 Kelly. Particularly- in a black, etoupe, raisin or orange.

Has anyone made the jump from Chanel to Hermes? What was your experience? I currently have enough set aside for a Jumbo Caviar and planned on making the purchase this Spring, but find myself wondering if I should save up a bit more and go for a Kelly later this year... if that's even possible given the scarcity of them where I live (Dallas, TX).

From reference threads, it appears the price of a Kelly is a few thousand more than a Jumbo... if I would have the option to purchase it new. Browsing reseller websites, it appears the price actually goes up, which is what is making me question if finding a Kelly in Texas is even within the realm of possibility.

Very interested to hear about others who went from Chanel to Hermes. Do you still find you use your Chanel bags? Was it a difficult transition? A very fun 'dilemma' to think through, but a bit daunting still. :smile:

I also just made the switch from Chanel to Hermes. I still find that I use my Chanel bags, although more so for evening now. I am obsessed with my Birkin and am sure that it has started a very costly new addiction!!
I went on the list for my Birkin about a year prior to getting it without a relationship with an SA or having bought very much from my home store. Most of my bracelets and scarves were actually purchased while traveling. It's actually only since getting my Birkin that I have bought quite a bit from my SA. So there is hope for getting a new bag, although my experience has been with my Birkin only and not a Kelly. Good luck!!

I used to love Chanel but after getting to know more about H and with the subsequent H purchases, there is no turning back. Unfortunately, my chanel bags are collecting dusts now.... :tdown:

I still love my Chanel. I think the Chanel beautiful chains on the clssic and reissue makes them better evening and dress up purse for me. However, I dress casual like 99% of the time and find Hermes has more classic design that would better suite my need. Like everyone said, H is a ver slippery slope. I started wanting only one Birkin a year ago. I got two H bags now (no birkin yet) but definitely see more addition in the future.

Do go in the H store and learn about the craftmanship. My interest in only one Birkin turned into belts, cashmere, silk, cotton scarves and other bags. H just make beautiful items that they will grow on you. Good luck finding your Kelly.

I began as a CHANEL girl and after acquiring my UHG bag - red lambskin classic flap w GHW i started eyeing H. Sold all but 4 of my c bags to support my H addiction- i now own 40 scarves of varius sizes, several H bracelets, 2 kelly bags (28cm) and am paying off a birkin purchase now. In my opinion, CHANEL quality is no where what it used to be, so H, albeit more expensive in the short term, will be passed down to my daughter and beyond. Good luck, H is addictive!

I apologize if my post is slightly off topic, but to respond to what someone said earlier - everyone's experience with H would not be the same. The best way go to about it is to visit a store, browse around, get a feel for the brand and its merchandise, talk to a SA, learn about the product you're looking for in terms of color and leather options and go from there.

I know there had been a lot of stories about how some people were under the impression they needed to spend a lot of money buying other things before they can be offered a Birkin or a Kelly; It's not so much Hermes wants you to spend thousands of dollars on things you don't need, but they want you to develop a history with the brand/store at least. You can purchase as much or as little as you want. A good H SA (or any brand really) will not operate on "If you drop a lot of cash I'll offer you a Birkin".

Most luxury brands will reserve their best inventory for their best clients, H is no different. If by any chance, a SA hints you need to spend a lot of money to be offered a Birkin, I would pay a slight premium and buy from a reseller, it's going to work out cheaper that way compare to having to spend thousands at the store first.

I think it's wonderful people share their experiences to offer insights for others, and I'm truly sorry to learn about anyone having to spend money on things they don't need to be in order to be considered for something they ultimately want. But please don't let that discourage you. Everyone's experience will be different. Do visit your local boutique, I've heard great things about the Texas stores :smile:

The transition"won't be as smooth if you're going from Jumbo to Kelly because there's quite a bit of price difference, but it will be worth it :smile: Not to mention there are always some wonderful pre-owned Kellys available on different websites. Check out the shopping subforum for reputable resellers list and cool web finds. Good luck and have fun :smile:

I can't describe any better as poptarts. I share similar sentiments too.:flowers:

We all have different experiences with Hermes. While preloved is another wonderful alternative option to get a Kelly immediately, I do encourage to pop by Hermes and we'll never know about the experiences we may encounter. Positive or negative.

Many of us here bought things from various sources; boutique, online, consignment, preloved. If there's a store nearby and accessible for you within your local country, all the more I encourage to pop by. There are many of us here who don't have the opportunity to pop by into a Hermes boutique because it's too far away and will take a couple of drive hours away.

It's not only about getting a Kelly. It's about understanding the brand, feel the craftmanship and learning more about the different leathers and colours. When I buy Chanel, to be frank, it's more of like choosing which bag is available. I find it hard to have any connection with the history of Chanel except for Coco Chanel, which is still not strong enough to keep me grounded with Chanel. Or, the makings/crafting of a 2.55 or classic flap. I do hope that for many of us, when we buy Hermes, it's not similar as buying Chanel.

If at the end of the day, you have a negative experience, then, sticking to preloved will still be fine because that'd be the only option left and will at least, develop less painful memories. You can get a Kelly at a cheaper price point, discontinued leather or seasonal colors, no longer offered by Hermes.:smile:

I apologize if my post is slightly off topic, but to respond to what someone said earlier - everyone's experience with H would not be the same. The best way go to about it is to visit a store, browse around, get a feel for the brand and its merchandise, talk to a SA, learn about the product you're looking for in terms of color and leather options and go from there.

I know there had been a lot of stories about how some people were under the impression they needed to spend a lot of money buying other things before they can be offered a Birkin or a Kelly; It's not so much Hermes wants you to spend thousands of dollars on things you don't need, but they want you to develop a history with the brand/store at least. You can purchase as much or as little as you want. A good H SA (or any brand really) will not operate on "If you drop a lot of cash I'll offer you a Birkin".

Most luxury brands will reserve their best inventory for their best clients, H is no different. If by any chance, a SA hints you need to spend a lot of money to be offered a Birkin, I would pay a slight premium and buy from a reseller, it's going to work out cheaper that way compare to having to spend thousands at the store first.

I think it's wonderful people share their experiences to offer insights for others, and I'm truly sorry to learn about anyone having to spend money on things they don't need to be in order to be considered for something they ultimately want. But please don't let that discourage you. Everyone's experience will be different. Do visit your local boutique, I've heard great things about the Texas stores :smile:

The transition"won't be as smooth if you're going from Jumbo to Kelly because there's quite a bit of price difference, but it will be worth it :smile: Not to mention there are always some wonderful pre-owned Kellys available on different websites. Check out the shopping subforum for reputable resellers list and cool web finds. Good luck and have fun :smile: