Glove-tanned leather and rain

ms_sue

Aug 25, 2008
I recently bought a 90s glove-tanned bag in British tan and am wondering whether it can withstand a little rain if I should get caught. Will it dry without any marks? Or should I just not risk it at all? I know that I can use Apple Conditioner when needed, but I'm leery of using the stain and water repellent because it did darken one of my other bags.

I have a red Stewardess bag from 2001 that I treated with leather conditioner when I first got it. I had it with me when it poured rain last weekend, and we both got drenched! The bag dried perfectly, and shows no signs at all of water damage. I, on the other hand, looked like a drowned rat for the rest of the day!

I think leather is pretty resilient and can withstand water quite well. Get some advice from the experts about Apple Conditioner, though. I've never used that.

Enjoy your bag!

I have a red Stewardess bag from 2001 that I treated with leather conditioner when I first got it. I had it with me when it poured rain last weekend, and we both got drenched! The bag dried perfectly, and shows no signs at all of water damage. I, on the other hand, looked like a drowned rat for the rest of the day!

I think leather is pretty resilient and can withstand water quite well. Get some advice from the experts about Apple Conditioner, though. I've never used that.

Enjoy your bag!

Thanks so much. That does sound encouraging. As to the Apple conditioner, I've read posts here that recommend it because it is silicone- and wax-free.

I have a bleecker hobo in british tan and it has gotten rained on and dried without issue. No marks or anything. The one time I did get water marks was when my daughter's shoe dripped on it (rain water). I think it left a mark because it dripped consistently in the same spot for a few minutes. Anyway, someone here recommended wiping the spot with a damp cloth and that worked perfectly. No water marks at all.

I have a bleecker hobo in british tan and it has gotten rained on and dried without issue. No marks or anything. The one time I did get water marks was when my daughter's shoe dripped on it (rain water). I think it left a mark because it dripped consistently in the same spot for a few minutes. Anyway, someone here recommended wiping the spot with a damp cloth and that worked perfectly. No water marks at all.

Thanks. I appreciate the input.