Givenchy Whip Bag: Thoughts?

Do you like the Givenchy Whip Bag?

• Total voters

Retroflowers

Jun 11, 2009
Saw this release on the SS19 Runway, and I thought that it is absolutely STUNNING. Have been eyeing a nude designer bag, might just get this next year if the price drops.

What are your thoughts? Anyone eyeing this bag as well? I particularly love the 'Large' one for this, the Medium looks tiny!

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 590
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 590
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 591
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 585
Reactions: OhHelloDoll
I adore it. My husband just surprised me with the large taupe whip bag (and an uptown YSL) after a hard week at work. Had not considered or seen it before but already wearing it happily.
View attachment 4397940 View attachment 4397948
Nice.....this was the same one I was eyeing, but I was unsure once I saw it in person. I'm awaiting the Mystic release in a couple weeks before deciding.

But, great minds think alike as I also picked up a tan/peru small SL uptown (tall version with crossbody strap) last week!

Enjoy your purchases!

Reactions: Bellagarofalo
Givenchy is just ticking all the boxes lately, the leather quality is better than brands like Gucci, ysl and the design aesthetic is more refreshing and interesting than Celine. It looks gorgeous and I can’t wait to check out this bag in person!!!

Reactions: Castor
I really like it! Seems very practical but the shape looks like it may fit a little bit less than it looks. Haven't seen it in person yet, however.
For anyone who has or anyone who owns it, can you advise on the weight? Is it a heavy bag or a light bag? I'm sensitive to heavy bags. The Antigona, for example, is a little heavy to me.

I adore it. My husband just surprised me with the large taupe whip bag (and an uptown YSL) after a hard week at work. Had not considered or seen it before but already wearing it happily.
View attachment 4397940 View attachment 4397948

Also absolutely ADORE the color your husband bought for you, that's such a lovely neutral and so pleasant to the eyes.

I think this bag is great for anyone who doesn't need or want to carry too much, and likes their bags to be more streamlined against their body, and reduce bulk. In a way its the opposite of an antigona.

Reactions: Anesthestia
Bumping this, as I recently discovered this bag and am also wondering about the weight? And I actually thought the large looked enormous and was leaning toward the medium. Bellagarofalo, is your bag heavy? And if you don’t mind, how tall are you and how is the proportion?

I got the chance to visit Givenchy in Saks yesterday and wanted to update you guys!
upload_2019-5-23_2-3-4.png

I'm 5"4 and this is the small on me, measures almost 10" in length! It's pretty similar in size to my Chanel M/L Classic Flap (seen in pic). I tried a "large" as well, but the SA didn't say there was a medium size, so I didn't get to try it. The large was significantly bigger AND heavier because the gussets on the side were A LOT more expanded (the small is like an accordion, but the large is just one big bulky space... see pictures below) while the small size I tried did not have gussets that could expand that much. So, by comparison, the small was a lot more flattering and was not heavy. The large was a LOT thicker than the other two and a lot heavier! Definitely found the large heavy, like I find the Antigona heavy. Size-wise, found the small looked good on my frame but didn't fit as much as I would have liked, but the large was just too big in comparison. Now regretting I didn't take pics for you guys of the large :sad: I will next time I'm there!

upload_2019-5-23_2-10-0.png
This is an image I pulled off of Farfetch, you can see how the large is not like an accordion on the side.

The small (and the medium, though I didnt get to try it), however, looks like this from the side:
upload_2019-5-23_2-13-23.png
The small also looked best on my frame. The large was just too bulky on me. The accordion-style shape of the small is a little bit similar to the chanel reissue in that the bag sits very nice and flush against the body, not too bulky at all, very flattering. Large, however, doesn't sit as nicely against my frame.

I found weights of the bag online. Small: 1.2lb, Medium: 1.6lb, Large: 2.1lb

Bumping this, as I recently discovered this bag and am also wondering about the weight? And I actually thought the large looked enormous and was leaning toward the medium. Bellagarofalo, is your bag heavy? And if you don’t mind, how tall are you and how is the proportion?

So, to answer your question, small is not heavy, quite lightweight, while large was heavy to me. I'm very sensitive to weights, though, so it might work for you. Though I haven't tried the medium, it seems it'd be a good size as well. If you're someone who doesn't find the celine small luggage, chanel jumbo, or givenchy small antigona heavy, then the large wouldn't feel heavy either, since I'd say it feels even lighter than those. I'd say if you're 165 or below and not very curvy physique, small would probably look best proportionally!

Last edited:
@Anesthestia great intel. I didn't even know the large existed, much less a totally diff design for the base!
The front flap makes a big difference! The small and medium has the front flap that reaches all the way down but the large front flap doesn’t. I do think the large feels a lot more spacious not only because of the obvious dimension difference but also because of the inside compartmental difference. The accordion style takes away quite a bit inside space!