Give me strength... should I sell a $500 bag to a newbie?

I might be biased since I had a 0 FB bidder win an item of mine early this morning and they still havent paid... And this is my second time listing this item as the last winner was a NPB as well...
I don't have high hopes that this person is going to pay, I wish I'd cancelled their bid.
That and there is always the possibility that it is a scammer.
I wouldn't sell something that costs $500 to a n00b, personally.

So sorry this is the second time you have sold a bag and it is potentially another NPB. I had 2 this month and 3 last month, but one finally paid the day I filed. They didn't leave feedback so for awhile I was waiting for some petty claim of SNAD or something else.

Good luck selling your bag!!!

But honestly, with ebay's recent changes towards sellers, how do you stop it?

If a n00b buys your item and pays, and you refund their payment, you become a non-performing seller and can have your account sanctioned.

There is no mechanism in place to block 0 FB bidders.

My main concern is them paying at all. Though I have a hard time trusting a buyer for having no FB & no confirmed address as well.
If it is a bidding style auction, I would probably cancel the bid. That's probably what I'm going to do from now on with 0 FB bidders.
Since the OP has a BIN item - if they clicked BIN and paid, then yeah she'd have to sell it to them.. But it sounds like they made her an offer, so she can still say no.
And, you have to start somewhere? Why can't they start with a smaller purchase, to build their credit in the community, before trying to make such a large purchase?

Last edited:
What I would do if they're making an offer to a current listing is explain to them that you won't remove/end the listing early UNTIL the payment has been received. Once you receive payment from PP, then end it.

That's what I would do. I don't care if they have 1 FB rating or 1,000—anybody can screw you with an "offer." Make sure they pay before you end it.
Amen to that. I prematurely ended my auction on someone's word that they were making an offer a couple of times in good faith; and then my "offerer" obviously was off chasing another rabbit down another hole (never came through). It's a pain to relist and these days you might not even be able to because of ebay's rules.. Some newbies may not even be aware that they have to follow through. They really don't know or care about ebay rules. I would make it perfectly clear what you expect : i.e., that payment must be concrete before you'll end the listing. My latest tactic for high end bags is to list with BIN and they must make immediate payment with paypal. That cuts out a lot of the dead wood.:yes:

But honestly, with ebay's recent changes towards sellers, how do you stop it?

If a n00b buys your item and pays, and you refund their payment, you become a non-performing seller and can have your account sanctioned.

There is no mechanism in place to block 0 FB bidders.

Actually, that partially isn't true. You can block a 5 FB rating bidder or lower, as long as they aren't bidding on 1 or more of your items (you choose the amount) and you can block a bidder who has a specific negative FB rating (i.e. –2, etc.), as well as any bidders who have had a NPB in any specific amount of time (you as the seller, determine how long).

Here is the link for that:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I only have 5 fb since I rarely use the bay. My first purchase was a Coach bag; 3 of my 5 fb are Coach. I'm glad that the sellers I bought from didn't block me!

Actually, that partially isn't true. You can block a 5 FB rating bidder or lower, as long as they aren't bidding on 1 or more of your items (you choose the amount) and you can block a bidder who has a specific negative FB rating (i.e. –2, etc.), as well as any bidders who have had a NPB in any specific amount of time (you as the seller, determine how long).

TY, I am aware of those (and apply them as well).

It's true you can block buyers with a negative score, or buyers with 0 FB from winning multiple items, but you really can't block a 0 FB bidder from just bidding on one of your items.

Also there is currently a glitch that if you block buyers who don't have a paypal account, the system is not recognizing some people who DO have a paypal account, so you might be losing out on bids. I was trying to buy an item and I got "glitched" by one of these sellers, and stopped from bidding because the sytem thought I didn't have a paypal account. So the seller lost out on $200 from me and I was the only bidder as well. There is also a thread about it on the ebay clothing board.

I've had people with zero feedback not pay and people with lots of feedback not pay! Some of my best customers have been ebay "newbies"! All my listings are BIN or BO. If a zero feedback person makes an offer that I would accept, I counter-offer with the same price and tell them that once they accept it, they have to pay immediately. That way, I don't end the listing before they pay. It seems to be working out well! I love the newbies who bid $50 on a $1500 bag! But that's another thread....

Awesome - I just changed my settings ! :yes: