Getting rid of bags...how do you do it?

s_rae22

Dec 26, 2007
I have some Coach bags I am considering letting go...but I am not sure I can and so I need the advice of my fellow Coach lovers.

I am the type to carry a bag for a year or so then put it away and never use it again. I convince myself I may use it again and that's why I keep it. I just have a hard time departing with bags I guess. However, it's silly because I always end up finding a current season bag I like more and buying it and old bag hangs out in the closet, totally ignored for all eternity.

So how do you decide which ones to keep and which to let go?

If I really am not using it, I sell it. The last one I sold was my white leather slim legacy tote and it was HARD but I had only used it once and was worried about getting it dirty the entire time I carried it! I sold it for $285 and bought a used white leather ergo tote to replace it $100) and couldn't be happier!! There are a few sentimental bags I would never let go even if I never used them...

I just sold 4 bags yesterday and I am still in disbelief that I actually did it. I have been saying for years how I need to sell off items that I no longer use. It feels pretty nice to have that money though and be able to consider my next purchase!

I wouldn't do it unless you were absolutely positive you are going to be okay with it. All too often people sell off bags only to buy them back again.

I just sold 4 bags yesterday and I am still in disbelief that I actually did it. I have been saying for years how I need to sell off items that I no longer use. It feels pretty nice to have that money though and be able to consider my next purchase!

I wouldn't do it unless you were absolutely positive you are going to be okay with it. All too often people sell off bags only to buy them back again.

I think there's only one I would have a really hard time with and I don't even know why, lol. I guess because it was my first expensive bag purchase, but that's a silly reason to keep it. Plus, if I sell it, it will be funding a new bag so that's definitely incentive. *sigh* so hard.

If I find that I am just not using certain bags, even when rotating purses a few times a month, and I dont feel like this :love: when I take them out of their boxes, then its probably safe to let them go. I will wear them one last time, and if I'm changing out of the bag within a day or two, then its safe to either give it to someone who will love it, or try to sell it on ebay. Ive been fairly successful doing both recently and it made some room in my collection for a new bag or two that I really wanted.

I do the same thing, and I call myself a handbag "collector" of sorts. I would use all in my collection, but there are some things I would never sell just from the collector's aspect (or more like what I think is "collectible", lol). It's very hard for me to sell an item, but some things I have let go of. This sounds REALLY dumb, but anything I question keeping (don't wear it, don't like it anymore), if I have any hesitation, I will take it out and display it somewhere in my office while I think about it. Usually it only takes a week or two before I'm comfortable one way or the other. I also have the issue that sometimes things I buy NEVER get used, and so I will later take them out and sell them NWT (by then I can let them go). It's hard!!

I will never sell my first Coach, it's what started this whole thing, but yeah, if I don't find myself using something I definitely would try to pass it on, no matter how much you love it, if its not getting use, then SELL. :smile:

I've just been going through this for the past 6 months or so - my very large closet was bursting at the seams with things that I wasn't using - clothing that no longer fit - some w/ tags still on, shoes in their boxes still, handbags, new or used once - all styles, colors -you'd think 5 people shared my closet;) It was hard to start, but once I sold the first few things on e**y, it got easier to choose which to keep and which to sell - I actually sold all my Coach bags except two and sold almost all my Kate Spades as well. I'm still in the process and am trying to only keep the bags I'm using regularly plus that frees space up for new purchases;) I just did a huge yard sale last weekend - sold a ton of things that I didn't want to hassle with listing on e**y and made $1500!!!

I sold some Coach bags on eBay. Five of them were black, and I rationalized with myself "self, how many black bags do I need?". A couple I never used, used only a handfull of times, or used heavily. At that point I was pretty much over with them since there was a new updated style of that bag, 'if haven't used it by now would I ever?'. The longer you hold on to a bag (that's not limited edition) the less money you will likely get for it.

I've sold a few and have several waiting to be listed but I still have a hard tiime deciding what goes. I try to use the 1 year rule- if I haven't worn it in a year, it goes. I do this with bags, shoes, and clothes.

I do the same thing with bags. I put them in my closet and if they become unused then I sell them. And use that money to buy another purse I love!! I use ebay for some of my sales.