Gel manicure help - polish peeling.

I don't have anything to add on troubleshooting the peeling, but from other posters it sounds like the lamp is a possible culprit.

In case you hadn't thought of this, I believe you'd be within the RCM warranty period for an exchange, or you could still return to Ulta. I haven't dealt with RCM warranties at all, but I've brought a couple of 'dud' products back to Ulta over the years, and it's easy for them to look up the purchase in their system using your rewards number.

Something I noticed when I was getting it done regularly (and then started doing my own at home) was that my nails behaved well with some brands of polish better than others. My friend's nails liked Gelish more, my sister is very happy with Sally Hansen but mine seemed to only like OPI, so once I figured it out and started choosing my colours only from that brand, my nails started lasting 2 weeks like they're meant to.

Thanks again for all the input!

Kailuagal - I have only had the topcoat issue one time, on one finger. It was quite odd.

I did another gel mani last night, and I changed up my routine a bit. I lightly scuffed my nails with a file first (usually skip this step). I also waited about 2 minutes after I applied my bonder, just to be sure it was fully dry, and I applied an extra bit of bonder on the tips.

Lastly, I looked inside my light and I realized that there aren't any actual LEDs on the inside top of the light, only on the sides, which I think may be causing a curing issue. I think the design is relying mostly on reflected light, and that may be why my thumbs almost never peel - because when I put my hand in, my thumbs sit somewhat sideways, so they're basically directly in front of the side LEDs. I think when I was lying my hand flat inside the light, it's possible my nails just weren't getting enough light to cure properly. I tried positioning my hand differently this time, so my nails were aimed directly at the LEDs, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

I also think that OPI just doesn't cure well in the DIY type lamps, as artiemd said. I have 2 OPI colors, and one is a darker, more saturated brown. I've had more issues with that color peeling, and I think it's just not getting a good cure in my light. The other color I have is a very sheer, glittery pink, and I've had pretty good luck with it, but the darker color just doesn't wear as long.

I have put the Gelish 18G light on my wish list.

Hi OP-

I use to have the same problem (I own the Sephora by OPI Gelshine lamp; nothing fancy or expensive). My "self manicure" obsession is a never ending love/hate story.

You mentioned "I lightly scuffed my nails with a file first (usually skip this step)." I believe this is a very important step that should not be skipped to make sure the polish has a little roughness to adhere to.

Also, I getting better results/adhesion with the Gelish and CND brands, vs OPI gelshine and salon grade OPI Gels.

I hope this helps. Please do keep us updated with any improvements you've come across.

Good luck