Garden Party 39 and/or canvas

3threebabies

Apr 22, 2019
i need a beat around all purpose tote that looks good and will last. I have used a Gucci Large Princy tote in GG canvas (NOT GG Supreme that is coated) for almost 13 years. It was my most used and a well loved bag. I have a decent bag collection and rotate frequently, so it’s not like she was ever used exclusively day in and day out. I have pretty much only used her for travel and football season the past couple years because she looks so worn. I sent her to Rago Brothers and repairs are impractical since the canvas itself is so worn and cannot be fixed in any way. Mr. Rago himself told me she is not worth it :sad:

I have had an LV Onthego Monogram Canvas sitting in the box in my bedroom for over 2 weeks. I haven’t even tried any of my stuff in it. I just don’t think she is the right bag for me. I will not get a Neverfull, and the CA has talked up the OTG on our last 3 or 4 visits. They had literally opened the OTG on a Saturday, and I felt like it was a sign so I bought it. I am pretty sure she is going back.

I have been considering a Garden Party. I came close to getting an “Orange” 36 (sorry, neophyte and color is not on website) before I got the verdict on Princy. So while I will get a leather version someday, a leather tote does not fulfill my current need. I would also like the bag to be bigger than a 36. I even looked at the Groom Boot and Helmet bag, but I do not care for the large logo on the front. The SA quickly informed me it was a true equestrian item.

It appears H has not made a 39 recently. There are a few GP 39s on resale sites, so I am wondering how long the canvas will still look good. I don’t care if it loses shape; in fact that may be a benefit to me. I don’t want the bag to be too heavy when empty. I want to be able to stuff it full sometimes. Put it on the ground or bleachers and not care. Have it still look chic if it isn’t full. Have it still look pretty good on first glance even when she is well worn. $1200 is a lot for a used canvas bag that I have to baby. I would have spent $700-1000 on my Princy to refresh her, but I know the life she has lived. If I take a chance on a new (used) bag sight unseen, I would like her to live a good life with me and not look shabby after a year or two. Does anyone have real life experience with a canvas Garden Party? TIA

Reactions: Saffynyc
Garden Party comes in a variety of textiles and they'll hold up differently. In my experience I would worry less about wear and tear with the textile parts of the bag than the leather parts though...

Reactions: golconda
Garden Party comes in a variety of textiles and they'll hold up differently. In my experience I would worry less about wear and tear with the textile parts of the bag than the leather parts though...
Thank you for your reply. Do you mean the leather wears more quickly, or simply that I would need to take more care? For my everyday bags, the leather piping always shows wear first whether the bag is leather, canvas or coated canvas. I also find that my totes with feet stay looking good on the bottom even when piping has worn through. That is true for my leather bags and canvas. I just wear the heck out of my everyday bag corners. I must admit that I have yet to wear out any of my LV corners:rolleyes: but that is not enough to convince me to get a Neverfull. And I just don’t care for any of the GG Supreme totes that are the correct size.

I am just trying so hard to replace a specific bag for specific end uses. I am probably just beating a dead horse and need to let it go. I really pinned my hopes for the past 2 years I could get some leather replaced and other pieces redyed and voila. The bag could go for another 5 years. Yesterday I even told my husband I should just get a Tory Burch Ella and be done with it.

I am not sure which size you are referring to. I have 2 GP that are 43cm across the bottom from piping to piping. This is a rather rare size that might be called MM or GM depending on reseller. It is not the largest size, that I call TGM.
The most common size (to me) is the GP that is 36cm across the bottom.
I would recommend the toile over the canvas, as toile is much sturdier than canvas.

Reactions: 3threebabies
I am not sure which size you are referring to. I have 2 GP that are 43cm across the bottom from piping to piping. This is a rather rare size that might be called MM or GM depending on reseller. It is not the largest size, that I call TGM.
The most common size (to me) is the GP that is 36cm across the bottom.
I would recommend the toile over the canvas, as toile is much sturdier than canvas.
The 43 cm is a large bag and will fit on your shoulder but not as well as a neverfull

@golconda Thank you so much for pic!! The photo looks like either could fit my requirements, but in store I felt the 36 cm was more like the size of my YSL and Mulberry leather totes. Not as flexible or quite as large as I was hoping. I know I have seen a couple pics of 39 cms with an extra strap which may make it feel more like carrying a duffle. I also appreciate yiur thoughts on the toile.

Reactions: golconda
I have both a toile one (the "black and white" kind like golconda posted) and a canvas black TPM with shoulder strap and the place that gets the most wear is the bottom corners of the leather. Those are the parts that will show wear before any of the fabric ever does.

I also have a vintage toile and leather purse (1982) and find toile in general very hardy.

paddockbag1.jpg

I have both a toile one (the "black and white" kind like golconda posted) and a canvas black TPM with shoulder strap and the place that gets the most wear is the bottom corners of the leather. Those are the parts that will show wear before any of the fabric ever does.

I also have a vintage toile and leather purse (1982) and find toile in general very hardy.

View attachment 4537817
That bag is gorgeous. That is very good to know about the toile. While it can be expensive, leather can always be repaired/replaced unlike fabric.

Reactions: bunnycat
That bag is gorgeous. That is very good to know about the toile. While it can be expensive, leather can always be repaired/replaced unlike fabric.

I'm finding the accent (corner) leather wears out before toile does in general. I believe this pale toile is actually the same as or similar to fire hose material so I'm not worried at all about its durability. It will surely last longer than I will. :lol: A full leather bag will have the same issues with corner leather wearing out first. The crinoline (stiff horsehair fabric) is NOT nearly as durable, and once the hair fibers start to break, there is nothing that can be done with them.