Galop d’Hermès Leather

HEYNIXON

Feb 13, 2016
I wanted to start a discussion thread on a new leather type I’ve seen in a few Men’s leather goods, Galop d’Hermès

I recently acquired my Kelly Depeches 25 and interested to see if we can compile some knowledge about this leather!

There’s very little online that I can find, beyond the fragrance and a vintage bag of the same name.

IMG_7201.jpeg

My initial observations:
  • Rigid and stiff, but lightweight
  • A more variable grain pattern, not as uniform as heat-pressed leathers like Epsom
  • A flatter and less pronounced grain compared to Togo and Clemence
  • A slightly larger grain compared to Togo and Clemence
  • Little to no veining
  • Dye saturation is not as deep as other leathers like Swift. In some light, the Black almost looks like Plomb / a very dark grey.
  • According to a source, it is a vegetable tanned leather, so it should develop a more prominent patina
  • Currently a matte finish but I suspect it might develop into a satin finish
  • It doesn’t have a strong scent

Last edited:
I wanted to start a discussion thread on a new leather type I’ve seen in a few Men’s leather goods, Galop d’Hermès

I recently acquired my Kelly Depeches 25 and interested to see if we can compile some knowledge about this leather!

There’s very little online that I can find, beyond the fragrance and a vintage bag of the same name.

View attachment 5796378

My initial observations:
  • Rigid and stiff, but lightweight
  • A more variable grain pattern, not as uniform as heat-pressed leathers like Epsom
  • A flatter and less pronounced grain compared to Togo and Clemence
  • A slightly larger grain compared to Togo and Clemence
  • Little to no veining
  • Dye saturation is not as deep as other leathers like Swift. In some light, the Black almost looks like Plomb / a very dark grey.
  • According to a source, it is a vegetable tanned leather, so it should develop a more prominent patina
  • Currently a matte finish but I suspect it might develop into a satin finish
  • It doesn’t have a strong scent
If any moderators can please help move this thread to a more appropriate sub-forum.

I didn’t realize I added this to the Reference Library (Pics Only). Thank you!

I was hoping someone would start a thread on this leather! I saw a swatch in my store a couple months ago and took a few notes:

Appearance and Texture:
From what I have seen, Galop d’Hermès seems to be a modern equivalent to the discontinued Vachette Ardennes leather. The swatch I saw was in the colour Fauve, and it looked quite similar to Naturel Ardennes, though it felt slightly dryer to the touch (at least compared to my Ardennes items). I cannot remember whether Galop d’Hermès is Vache or Vachette/Taurillon, but maybe someone else knows? I would not be surprised if this were Vache, given the texture.

Colours:
So far, I have only seen it in Black/Noir and Fauve, though it may be available in other colours too.

Availability:
I was told this leather would only be available for smaller items for now, so no Birkins, Kellys, etc. Of course, availability will depend on what your store has ordered.

I was hoping someone would start a thread on this leather! I saw a swatch in my store a couple months ago and took a few notes:

Appearance and Texture:
From what I have seen, Galop d’Hermès seems to be a modern equivalent to the discontinued Vachette Ardennes leather. The swatch I saw was in the colour Fauve, and it looked quite similar to Naturel Ardennes, though it felt slightly dryer to the touch (at least compared to my Ardennes items). I cannot remember whether Galop d’Hermès is Vache or Vachette/Taurillon, but maybe someone else knows? I would not be surprised if this were Vache, given the texture.

Colours:
So far, I have only seen it in Black/Noir and Fauve, though it may be available in other colours too.

Availability:
I was told this leather would only be available for smaller items for now, so no Birkins, Kellys, etc. Of course, availability will depend on what your store has ordered.
Yes! I had a feeling it was a modern equivalent to Ardennes or Liegée.

I’m 99% sure it is vache as the website description says “cowhide” instead of calfskin/veau or taurillon.

I’ve seen various items on different hermes.com country sites in Fauve, Indigo, Ebene, and Noir.

• Insightful
Reactions: r luvs h
Yes! I had a feeling it was a modern equivalent to Ardennes or Liegée.

I’m 99% sure it is vache as the website description says “cowhide” instead of calfskin/veau or taurillon.

I’ve seen various items on different hermes.com country sites in Fauve, Indigo, Ebene, and Noir.
Thank you for the extra info and for starting this thread! :flowers:

Edited: I wanted to add that it seems this leather is mostly available in the Menswear line currently.

Last edited:
Oh I remenber this one...I saw one about a month ago : Kelly Dépêches 36 in Galop d'H, it felt light a lighter Ardennes leather

It seemed like a very nice leather, but the Kelly dépêches 36 is way too small for my daly life !

20230324_133629.jpg

20230324_133321.jpg