FYI-- H policies on white bags & bags repaired elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose100

Carpe handbag!
O.G.
Jan 8, 2008
Hello, everyone,

I am posting this for reference purposes, since in the past there have been questions regarding how H handles white bags, and bags that have been worked on by people other than Hermes craftsmen.

I purchased a bicolor Kelly and had the bag worked on by someone who claimed to be a leather expert and assured me I would be very happy.

Dissatisfied with the results, I took it to the Madison store. Claude looked at it and told me that all white leather must go to Paris.

The bag was sent to Paris many weeks ago, and I just got a call yesterday. The rep told me that Paris will only *replace* the handle and straps, since, and I quote, "The bag has been worked on by someone other than Hermes."

I gave the go-ahead because I really want to keep this bag. It is vintage and one of a kind. It is going to cost around $1400.

It would have been far less had the person who worked on my bag listened to me when I said the straps were fine and didn't need anything. But because the straps were worked on, too, without my consent, they will also have to be replaced, and I will no longer have the original straps on the Kelly.

I thought you should know, and hope this will save someone from making the costly mistake I made.

Reactions: bagaholic1
Sorry to hear about this costly mistake.

Seems the said leather expert, is not the expert they claim to be.

Matching the "paint" on a leather bag, is somewhat like taking your car to get the paint repaired. IF an independent body shop (and not one authorized by the OEM) doesn't have the proper "factory" specified paint materials, they cannot and will not be able to match the color. They may get close, but odds are, it'll be a shade or two different. And this is only dealing w/ paint on cars. When you're talking about Hermes bags, you have to deal w/ the paint and the condition of the leather itself!

I am sorry to hear about your bag experience Rose100! And :ty: so much for this helpful warning to all of us!

I've only blackrock and obernauf and have had subsequent servicing and repair/replacement of handle etc done on those bags by claude/Pierre with no issue.

Reactions: BowieFan1971
I did have similar experience with a famed repair shop in NYC, not only it came out horrible he BLAMED me for giving him the wrong instructions

There went an H to the bin

You are lucky that they agreed to work on it at all. Apparently all the white bags need a special room for spraying and it is in Paris. I was told this by Manuela at Bev Hills.

Hopefully you will be happy with it now and wear the bag with joy!

You are lucky that they agreed to work on it at all. Apparently all the white bags need a special room for spraying and it is in Paris. I was told this by Manuela at Bev Hills.

Hopefully you will be happy with it now and wear the bag with joy!

That's what I thought too, that H would refuse to even touch the bag if they knew someone else had worked on it. Good to know. I'm sure Hermes will make your bag look beautiful again, and it will still be one of a kind even without it's original parts. Thank you for the reminder that we take risks when we don't take our luxury goods back to their makers for maintenance and repairs.

As for the leather expert, I'm sure he/she has a different side of the story to tell, as with any dispute over services rendered.

As for the leather expert, I'm sure he/she has a different side of the story to tell, as with any dispute over services rendered.

Since a picture is worth so many words from either me or the leather expert, here are a couple.

Sticky latex paint applied in a sloppy manner over the stitching, already flaking. Shoe polish on top of the white paint (left of pic.)
attachment.php

Back of strap: white paint glopped over the stitching and over the brass, which was tarnished.
attachment.php

Front hardware: smeared with paint. Edges stained with blue shoe polish.
attachment.php

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 665
  • picture2.jpg
    picture2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,316
  • straps.jpg
    straps.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,314
  • picture3.jpg
    picture3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,724
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: FrenchNewbie
After I called the leather expert to complain, I was told that it would be easy to remove everything that had been done.

Problem was, it was impossible to remove the paint that had pooled into the stitching. Here is the result of my frantic attempts to fix what had been done.

attachment.php

Attachments

• after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,243
Reactions: bagaholic1
Status
Not open for further replies.