Fungus from a dog??

effinhaute

Sep 18, 2006
My friend just told me a circular red spot she got a few weeks ago.. She went to the doctor's and she told her it was dog fungus?? I am not quite sure what that means...

Has anyone experienced this before? She came over to my boyfriends house where there are 3 dogs and she said they were the only dogs she came into contact with recently.

I am a little worried someone else may get this fungus?

:sad: Could anyone help me with this? TIA!

Definitely sounds like ringworm which can be picked up from animals that have it. If she got it from your boyfriends dog it should be visible on the dog. It will look like a red, scaly rash. The other dogs might have it too since it is contagious.

BTW it is really common to catch ringworm from cats. Ask your friend if she has pet any cats lately, or if she owns a cat it might be from that.

This site has some good info on ringworm http://www.2ndchance.info/ringworm.htm

Yes you can get ring worm from your dog. Hopefully both person and dog are taking antibiotics and will be cleared up soon. Ring worm is a nasty fungus and hard to get rid of.

Ringworm, a fungas that is usually red and circular, is contacted from animals. My personal experience is that it usually comes from cats more than dogs. Ask her if she's been around any cats and take your own/your bf's dogs in to the vet to get checked. If they or you contacted it, then it is treated with topical ointments. It usually heals very quickly on a human and and about 7-14 days on a dog.
My boston caught it last year from our friend's cat. The cat didn't even directly come in contact with our dog, but our friend (that has an indoor cat)came over played with my dog and the next day she had ringworm. My husband ended up getting it too. It looked worse on the dog (size of a quarter and very red and raw) and took longer to heal on her. The vet treated my hubby as well, gave him some take home cream and my hubby was better with a few days.
It really isn't that big of deal, so don't stress out.

I got this ringworm from my guinea pig. He had it since I got him from the pet store. We kept going to the vet and it would not clear up. I got it on my arms and legs and it took like 3 months to disappear. It is contagious. I went to the DR for some cream. I had to wash all clothes sheets very often in hot water until the rash went away. I kept the areas covered with clothing so it would not contaminate things like the sofa or wherever my skin could touch. I was told I could pass it to other people . I was advised to be careful also if it got on your scalp. It can make clumps of your hair fall out and turn into a horrible rash on your head.

actually, yes I have had this issue before. I had gotten a small red spot on me and within 3 weeks it had spread to about 9-10 spots that were super itchy. I put some cort-ade stuff (the otc) stuff and then it spread pretty bad, so I put tea tree oil on them and they doubled in count so I ended up going to the doctor who told me they were a type of fungus that humans get from dogs. at the time, the only dog that I was around was my brother's doxie so of course I named him "fungus-amongus" LOL

anyway, a cycle of anti fungal meds took it right away, and no one else got the fungus so I think its just a weird thing that happens sometimes with some people depending on you and the dog's chemistry or something. the important thing is that OTC meds make it worse and actually give the fungus a more 'comfortable' environment to grow. ewe!

I found this info on a medical web,http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=408, site about ringworm:
"Ringworm is very badly named because it is caused by a fungus not a worm," says Dr. John Angus, a veterinary dermatologist at the University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Urbana. "Ringworm makes its home on the hair and skin, and it affects both people and pets. In humans, ringworm forms a ring-shaped, raised red rash, but this presentation is not common in animals. Ringworm can look like anything!"

Dogs and cats are susceptible to three forms of ringworm. Our feline friends are the reservoir for the most common form of ringworm in pets. Second in line is carried by rodents and picked up by nosy dogs digging through rodent burrows. The third form is a soil fungus.

It is possible to contract ringworm from your kitty. Studies show that in 30 percent to 70 percent of households where the cat has ringworm, at least one person will get it. However, humans have our own forms of ringworm. Athlete's foot is the classic example. Only 3.3 percent of all human cases are caused by the same fungus that infects dogs and cats, so you are far more likely to get ringworm from the playground or weight room than from your furry friends.

"People with the highest risk for catching ringworm from their pet are young children who have never been exposed, the elderly, or people with a depressed immune system," comments Dr. Angus. Once humans have been exposed to a strain of ringworm, most people develop immunity and rarely get the same strain again.

"It's important to know you have ringworm in your home. If your pet has patchy hair loss or any crusty bumps, take it to your veterinarian for a fungal screen. It is a good idea to screen all new pets, particularly strays, before introducing them to your current animals."