Full face fat grafting-My experience

Hello,

How is your the face fat grafting until now? Can you please tell why you didn't go with Fresh?
For how long do we have to avoid physical exercice after fat grafting?

I'm very happy with my decision to undergo fat grafting.

I will PM you about the reasons behind my decision not to go with Fresh.

I was told that heavy/strenuous activity should be avoided for at least a month post-surgery, but YMMV.

Ok these may be silly questions but... What does your forehead feel like post FG? If you press on your forehead with a finger... does does it feel soft and mushy like pressing down on your cheek?
The first week the transplanted fat feels hard and lumpy due to swelling. From the start of the second week (day 7) onwards, it started softening up little by little. Once you completely deswell, it should feel indistinguishable from your native fat.

Thank you for your long review! However, I was told that inner thighs is the best donor site but I think it depends on clinics and doctors. How much do you think your fat left so far? Can you give me percentage?

Estimates of percentage fat remaining by a lay patient are completely unreliable. Let me explain.

How would a patient know how much fat was originally injected? A lot of facial volume gain immediately post-op is swelling, the extent of which varies from person to person. If you're using that as your baseline (100%), then you are grossly overestimating the original amount of fat injected and thus underestimated the % of your remaining fat once you reach the 3 month mark. Even if the surgeon tells you how many ccs are injected per site, not all of that volume is fat.

Also, retention varies from patient and site to site, depending on a host of lifestyle, personal, and surgeon-related factors, so self-reported % retention information is not very generalizable.

Excuse my long response. The scientist in me needed to get that out.

Congrat! Glad you have good result. I also have tear troughs, cheeks and my temples are sunken and those give me older & masculine look.
Thanks hun. I'm almost 2 months out and my results are subtle yet noticeable. I definitely have a more feminine and well-rested look about me, and I love it!

Last edited:
I'm assuming that you're referring to your silhouette as seen from the side? Your nose is a major contributor to your facial profile, so IMHO there is no reason why the two procedures can't be done together to optimize the final aesthetic outcome. Also, without knowing what your current facial profile is, I can't really comment either way.

Correct. Clinics will say that at least 2 grafts are needed because a) clinics tend to graft conservatively, as correcting an overfilled face is much harder to deal with than adding fat to an underfilled face and b) fat survival is unpredictable and varies from individual to individual, so any areas of poor retention or asymmetry can be addressed during subsequent grafting procedures. I'm not sure how much weight fluctuations affect facial fat volume, but at least a couple of fat graft docs on realself have stated that it doesn't impact facial fat volume too much if weight loss is not too dramatic (ie. 10-15 lb range).

The last of the bruising disappeared at around the 2 week mark. Less than 100 cc total of fat was taken from both thighs, so not enough to have any noticeable effect, unfortunately.

Do you know what is the difference between doing it from the thighs vs the stomach region?

Hello,

How is your the face fat grafting until now? Can you please tell why you didn't go with Fresh? I went for a consultation at Fresh I liked it but I'm also looking at other clinics and searching in order to make the correct choice. Until now I have not found anything negative about Fresh...
For how long do we have to avoid physical exercice after fat grafting?

Thank you
I am planning go to fresh after couple weeks , got different lauguage consultant .....

Okay, so this is a very overdue update. It's been over 2 years since my fat graft and I've been satisfied with the results.

If you've read my original post, you'll see that the process and recovery were not without incident, but overall at this stage I am happy and have no plans to do a follow up graft. True...I don't have the super plump visage and protuberant forehead that is often desired, but I am a pragmatist and not a perfectionist. My undereye area and nasolabial folds are much improved, and I see improvement in the contour of my forehead and brow area.

The numbness in my thighs at the donor site is gone now (peripheral sensory nerves heal well). I never did go back and take GNG up on their offer to have botox to my "11s" within a year as I have been way too busy, but hope they will honour their promise to redo it the next time I'm in Seoul, as it never worked the first time. No idea if that will happen as their consultant turnaround has been pretty high.

Last edited:
I should add, HOWEVER, that I will NOT be going back to GNG for future fat grafts or any other out of pocket procedures.

They way they chose to deal with the apparent lack of efficacy of my forehead botox treatment (there was absolutely no change in the magnitude of my 11s weeks and months out) was to offer a redo "IF I come back to Korea within a 1 YEAR PERIOD ", knowing full well that it was unlikely for me to return, instead of offering a refund or no time limit redo.

There are too many other good clinics in Seoul to be bothered with one that doesn't put their patient's results and satisfaction first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the long term update on your fg as that's the true test of fg results.

Were you charged separately for the forehead botox? IMO if you're having forehead fg, the clinic themselves should recommend and include botox as part of the fg treatment since reducing movement in the area would help with fat survival.

If it worked on your jaw but not your forehead, that's really odd. Have you had it done to your forehead before? Maybe they didn't use enough units. For me, 10 units is not enough to freeze movement to my 11's.

Nope, they didn't include it. I asked for and was quoted extra for the inter-brow botox. I had the same line of thought as you in that I felt fat survival would be enhanced with less movement post-graft.

Hard to say if the jaw botox injected by GNG made a noticeable difference at the time, as my masseters are not super hypertrophic. I had them injected last summer as well with 75 units Botox (name brand, not the Korean stuff) at another international clinic, and the doctor doing the injecting commented that she felt I didn't really even need it for aesthetics (though it does double duty for me to counter my bruxing).

Good point, this was my 1st time getting inter-brow botox, and it may well be that they fell short of the threshold dose required. I carefully monitored and documented my muscle activity with pictures and did not see ANY change in the extent to which I could furrow my brows. My brow muscle game is next level though, Emilia Clarke strong, so there's that.

Last edited:
Okay guys. It’s been 1 month 2 weeks out from my full face fat graft, and this review has been a long time coming.

I struggled to find info on fat grafting results, specifically long-term follow up info from patients, most of whom seemed to disappear post-surgery. Consequently, I will be documenting how well my fat graft holds up at a my 3, 6, and 1 year post-op on my fat grafting blog (https://seoulcity2017.wixsite.com/seoulcityofdreams).

Personal Concerns:

Loss of mid-face volume, which made me look tired and older, was my main concern. My forehead was rather bony, which in turn accentuated my brow ridge and gave my profile a more masculine look. Hollow temples also accentuated my zygoma and made them look larger than they were. Lastly, I wanted to subtly augment my chin without resorting to more invasive procedures like using an implant or bone surgery.

Clinics consulted:

During face to face consultations, I consulted with 8 specifically for fat grafting (MVP, Hershe, Fresh, GNG, KHS, Wannabe, Iwell, Faceline).

Price range:

-PRP fat grafting price range 2-5 million krw
-Stem cell fat grafting 2.9 to 10 million krw

My takeaways from consultations:

-stem cell fat grafting-Stem cell fat grafting protocol can vary significantly from clinic to clinic, as there is no standardized protocol. One clinic, Hershe, claimed they would use “donor” stem cells, which goes against common practice, and was very vague about the provenance of such cells and their claimed function. Buyer beware!

-PRP-enriched fat grafting-PRP seems to be the new standard for fat grafting. Scientific studies have shown a that PRP (a component of blood) boosts healing. Some scientific articles show a significant increase in fat retention vs regular fat grafting. Jury is still out on how much difference there is between PRP and stem cell fat grafting, but I decided on PRP as it was only a bit more expensive than regular fat grafting, so what do I have to lose?

-claims of how much fat is retained varies widely between clinics. Some say up to 90%+ for the forehead, others 10% or less for the chin and nasolabial lines, but IMO retention rate estimates are hard to assess accurately. Generally, the forehead and midface (structures not subject to much movement) will retain fat the best, while temple, nasolabial lines, and chin will retain less fat because they are subject to more movement. Fat survival also depends on personal factors like metabolism, habits (smoking, drinking, etc), aftercare, and surgeon technique and skill. Generally, results are said to stabilize between 3-6 months.

Procedure:

I had (my first) full face PRP-enriched full face grafting done in Korea at GNG with Dr. Kim. My main areas of concern were my forehead and midface (specifically tear troughs, deficient mid-face volume when viewed in profile), as well as temples, underneath the cheekbones, nasolabial lines, and chin.

Immediately Post-op:

Post-surgery, my face felt like it was swollen incredibly tight, so tight that the top of my scalp felt numb. You literally feel like you’re wearing someone else’s face over your own, and I struggled with facial expression. My nose tip was pulled up slightly by the fat graft to the forehead.

Fortunately I didn’t bruise much, except slightly at the fat injection sites, which they covered with small square hydrocolloid bandages. Dr. Kim harvested donor fat from my outer thighs via liposuction through bilateral ~1 cm long incisions at the groin. Compression tape was placed over the harvest sites, but I still sustained heavy bruising. The pain from liposuction was probably the worst part of fat grafting, and varied from a dull, sore (like you jogged 10 miles the day before) sensation to occasional bouts of sharp, short, stabbing pain.

I also had jaw muscle and frown line (11s) botox.

2 weeks out:

By 2 weeks, my previously hard grafted fat areas has started to “fluff and drop”, and feel more natural. Initially I had worried about the amount and placement of fat, because I could feel a thick ridge under my eyes that went right up to the lower border of my eye socket bone and made my eyes look sunken, but now this was becoming less obvious by the day.

I was still visibly swollen, but unless people knew me, they wouldn’t know that I’d gotten anything done.

1 month out:

My forehead was moving normally at this point, and I began to notice that my forehead botox seemed not to have had its intended effect. I could still wrinkle my forehead as much as before. When I discussed this with GNG, they agreed that this was unusual and offered to redo the botox on my next trip to Korea, but unfortunately I’m not sure when that will be.

I really liked the look of my fat graft at this point. It was mostly gone from my temples and underneath my cheekbones, but everywhere else I saw improvement compared to pre-surgery.

1.5 months out:

Fat volume has gone down a bit compared to 1 month post-op, albeit at a slower rate. I’m happiest with the improvement to my forehead and tear trough/midface region, which looks less sunken when viewed in profile. My chin has held up quite nicely as well, with maybe about 1-2 mm of projection gained in profile. Overall I’m quite happy with the fat graft results and looking forward to how it will hold up long term.

Aftercare:

I was told to stop smoking and drinking before surgery day, and to abstain after surgery for at least a month. No saunas, steam rooms, heavy exercise, or any other activity that could potentially increase metabolism, and no putting pressure on the grafted areas.

Side effects:

I experienced some numbness of my front upper thigh area where my fat was harvested from, the left more profoundly than the right. Numbness is a known side effect of liposuction, so I wasn’t too surprised, but it seems that after a month there hasn’t been much improvement in sensation.

Hi im interested in doing fat grafting surgery on forehead. I heard that the result will only last 1-2 years is it true? So after that will fat grafted area go back to sunken condition like before surgery? Thank you so much