Frustrated Fendi Wannabe

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be curious if anyone else has run into this situation. When attempting to purchase a Peekaboo online or in store, the quality of the handbag has been questionable. The purses have looked like 100+ people have handled them. Some were missing the raincoat. ALL of them had the authentication cards in envelopes that were ripped or just looking old. All were terribly scratched on the hardware and the dustbags were either white or black - no continuity. It's difficult spending $4,000 on a bag that looks like it's preowned. I don't have a Fendi boutique near me and I have experienced this at Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus. Thanks for letting me vent!

I'd be curious if anyone else has run into this situation. When attempting to purchase a Peekaboo online or in store, the quality of the handbag has been questionable. The purses have looked like 100+ people have handled them. Some were missing the raincoat. ALL of them had the authentication cards in envelopes that were ripped or just looking old. All were terribly scratched on the hardware and the dustbags were either white or black - no continuity. It's difficult spending $4,000 on a bag that looks like it's preowned. I don't have a Fendi boutique near me and I have experienced this at Nordstroms and Neiman Marcus. Thanks for letting me vent!

I feel your pain - I don't have a Fendi boutique near me either. From my somewhat limited experiences, I have had problems once with Nordstroms, a few times with Bergdorf Goodman and once with Neiman Marcus. If you can't find what you want through fendi.com, I would use their inventory tracker to find a boutique that may have it in stock. I've had good experiences ordering a couple items from Fendi boutiques that sit inside Saks stores (I believe Fendi rents the space from Saks in these instances). Call the store, have the SA text you photos and answer questions. If you want to purchase, they will ship it to you. These boutiques follow Saks store policies - which means you can return the bag to your local Saks store if you have a problem with it, which I have found convenient. For non-Peekaboo bags and accessories, I have had good experiences purchasing from Matches Fashion. Just my two cents.

I feel your pain - I don't have a Fendi boutique near me either. From my somewhat limited experiences, I have had problems once with Nordstroms, a few times with Bergdorf Goodman and once with Neiman Marcus. If you can't find what you want through fendi.com, I would use their inventory tracker to find a boutique that may have it in stock. I've had good experiences ordering a couple items from Fendi boutiques that sit inside Saks stores (I believe Fendi rents the space from Saks in these instances). Call the store, have the SA text you photos and answer questions. If you want to purchase, they will ship it to you. These boutiques follow Saks store policies - which means you can return the bag to your local Saks store if you have a problem with it, which I have found convenient. For non-Peekaboo bags and accessories, I have had good experiences purchasing from Matches Fashion. Just my two cents.

EDIT: oops, this seems to have double-posted. I don't know if there's any way to delete one?

I suggest trying Luisaviaroma. They sometimes have a promotion that can be applied (like 10% off-15% off). Everything I get from them is brand new and comes with everything that it is supposed to come with.

As for the dust bags, I haven't figured out why some are black and some are off-white, but I don't think that it's Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus switching them. I think it's Fendi, and what they believe matches the bag/accessory that the dustbag comes with (?).

Do only the peekaboos come with authentication cards? I have a Kan I that I bought from the Fendi boutique and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an authentication card (maybe b/c it's from the store?) ..of course I have the receipts. I could check the receipt envelope again but I'm doubtful. I'm not planning to sale it and of course I know it's real lol so I don't mind but I am just wondering since you are talking about the authentication cards.

Do only the peekaboos come with authentication cards? I have a Kan I that I bought from the Fendi boutique and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an authentication card (maybe b/c it's from the store?) ..of course I have the receipts. I could check the receipt envelope again but I'm doubtful. I'm not planning to sale it and of course I know it's real lol so I don't mind but I am just wondering since you are talking about the authentication cards.

My dispute with Neiman Marcus was over the authenticity card. My local store was no help, so I called Dallas and my contact had their buyer speak with Fendi about the issue. NM told me that Fendi is no longer including the authenticity cards. Honestly, I'm still not sure I believe NM, since everything I've bought since has had a card (including a charm I recently bought directly from Fendi), although I have only bought one other Peekaboo since then, and that was a limited edition - although, again, it was purchased directly from a Fendi store. (Although you said your Kan I was from a Fendi store, too, hmmm.) In the end I kept the NM bag, as I had received a 20% discount and I really wanted it (it was sold out everywhere else). I have no idea what the truth of the matter is, though!

Hi all! I would like to do an update on my post. As you know, I tried to buy a peekaboo (in fact, I ended up purchasing 5 in total) in the hope of receiving one bag that was not scratched or had the pre-owned look. I was not successful. My husband and I went to Neiman Marcus yesterday to return all five bags! We walked in the front door and was stopped by a SA in the home dept who offered to do the return for me. Great service? I guess but made me want to call the Neiman Marcus CEO and have them change their return policy regarding designer handbags. The SA never once checked the bag! I could've brought in a faux bag and no one would've been the wiser! Hence, my fear of not sure I'm getting what I paid for.

Hi all! I would like to do an update on my post. As you know, I tried to buy a peekaboo (in fact, I ended up purchasing 5 in total) in the hope of receiving one bag that was not scratched or had the pre-owned look. I was not successful. My husband and I went to Neiman Marcus yesterday to return all five bags! We walked in the front door and was stopped by a SA in the home dept who offered to do the return for me. Great service? I guess but made me want to call the Neiman Marcus CEO and have them change their return policy regarding designer handbags. The SA never once checked the bag! I could've brought in a faux bag and no one would've been the wiser! Hence, my fear of not sure I'm getting what I paid for.

That's really interesting. I've never had that issue at my NM - they check the bag and check the card (the only missing card I've ever had was on that one Peekaboo) before processing the return. Having said that, at this point, the only time I will purchase bags at NM now is during sales or if I have a coupon.

My dispute with Neiman Marcus was over the authenticity card. My local store was no help, so I called Dallas and my contact had their buyer speak with Fendi about the issue. NM told me that Fendi is no longer including the authenticity cards. Honestly, I'm still not sure I believe NM, since everything I've bought since has had a card (including a charm I recently bought directly from Fendi), although I have only bought one other Peekaboo since then, and that was a limited edition - although, again, it was purchased directly from a Fendi store. (Although you said your Kan I was from a Fendi store, too, hmmm.) In the end I kept the NM bag, as I had received a 20% discount and I really wanted it (it was sold out everywhere else). I have no idea what the truth of the matter is, though!

I bought my bag at the Fendi store in Miami, I also ordered teen witch charm in store (but not in stock there) and they had a courier service take it to my hotel from the Bal Harbour Fendi store and both the bag and the charm have no cards. So at least for Kan I and some bag charms, they have stopped providing authenticity cards. Which makes sense to me - authenticity cards can be passed on, sold, paired with fakes, so what does it really mean?

@The Davis Woman wow 5 bags! that's awful that you've been through 5 bags already. And I agree with your fears about people exchanging fakes!

I bought my bag at the Fendi store in Miami, I also ordered teen witch charm in store (but not in stock there) and they had a courier service take it to my hotel from the Bal Harbour Fendi store and both the bag and the charm have no cards. So at least for Kan I and some bag charms, they have stopped providing authenticity cards. Which makes sense to me - authenticity cards can be passed on, sold, paired with fakes, so what does it really mean?

@The Davis Woman wow 5 bags! that's awful that you've been through 5 bags already. And I agree with your fears about people exchanging fakes!

I just actually bought a pink pineapple/fruits charm from fendi.com - it arrived last Friday - and it came with an authenticity card. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency... What you say is what the NM buyer said, though - the cards are too easily lost, transferred, etc.