Francis Owners

I think mine is a fantastic laptop bag. Today I had to meet a client away from the office, so I had my laptop, her file, and a portable printer in the Francis (and all the power cords too) and was able to easily slip it all in and zip it closed. I was a bit worried about all of the weight and holding it by the handles to I used the strap. My worries are most likely in my head though because it wasn't pulling that hard on the bag, I was just babying it.

What size is your laptop?
My 19-inch widescreen would be able to fit inside the bag if it wasn't for the zipper. I am sure I could have tried prying it in, but didn't think it would be worth doing since it is my home computer.

My 17-inch laptop fit easily inside, I did need to set it in from the zipper side first but that may have been because I had the one of those USB flash drives in it. :girlwhack: I haven't tried it again because I use the Francis for work.

My work laptop (15-inch) can go in without a thought to where the zipper is at all.

Thanks MG ... exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

My work laptop is 15", so that's what it would hold 90% of the time. My personal laptop is 17", so glad that it would fit as well, on the rare occasion she goes anywhere.

I just hate tight fits, especially when traveling. (Why are all checkpoint friendly bags either super masculine, or the feminine ones are all pleather??)

I wonder if it would be possible for it to be modified w magnetic closures, and if I'd find that less frustrating at security? So much to do at security ... laptop ... shoes ... liquids ... glare at idiots...

You're welcome. I am glad it helped because I felt like I was rambling. :nuts:

You definitely won't have a tight fit for the laptop with the 15-inch, so at least it will save you that frustration at security...shoes, liquids and idiots, I wish I knew the solution for those. :P
I left my computer at work but if you want some pictures with it crammed I could do that for you tomorrow.

Maybe they could remove the zipper and instead make the zippered part leather flaps and place magnetic closures in that part??

Not rambling at all...

I probably shouldn't worry about altering the zip since if I'm traveling with my computer it's generally for work. But I'm the type of person that overthinks everything :P. So I have one trip, that I know of that I'll be bringing my 17" along, so of course that's what I focus on ...

I'm weird though ...I get totally anxious w that long line behind me and I have to deal with all the different stuff. I know I'm alone on that, cause everyone else in line in front of me seems to take there own sweet time. :graucho:

The front pocket, is it big enough to hold charger, mouse, and pens and post its?

Let me check on that pocket tomorrow. I will see what I can easily fit.
If I remember right, the pocket in front is flat so it may be better for pens and post-its rather than a charger & mouse. I haven't opened that front flap yet, so I could be wrong.

Somehow I need to buy (or create!) some oblivious pills so I don't notice the long security lines and get all worked up that I am not moving fast enough for others or at least something that makes me not care what others must think of how slowly I am moving. (Hubby hates how snippy I get when I am grabbing his shoes off his feet and pushing him on through.)

Not rambling at all...

I probably shouldn't worry about altering the zip since if I'm traveling with my computer it's generally for work. But I'm the type of person that overthinks everything :P. So I have one trip, that I know of that I'll be bringing my 17" along, so of course that's what I focus on ...

I'm weird though ...I get totally anxious w that long line behind me and I have to deal with all the different stuff. I know I'm alone on that, cause everyone else in line in front of me seems to take there own sweet time. :graucho:

The front pocket, is it big enough to hold charger, mouse, and pens and post its?

hopefully you can get in the so-called expert traveler (or whatever) lane, for travelers who know what they are doing and are efficient. All thanks to your (proposed) Francis!

I have two Francis bags -- my original one is Raspberry (bought in Dec.) and I use it all the time -- I travel a lot for work and it's holding up well -- my Dell Latitude work laptop fits in with no problem - super ez to pull out for airport security and I love the divided compartment -- I can put the laptop/power cord on one side and my papers, etc. on the other and my laptop doesn't squish all my paperwork. I had the handles lengthened a bit so the bag easily fits over my shoulder even with a heavy coat so I rarely use the messenger strap. The clasp on the front pocket doesn't like to stay closed but I find if I flip it up it does stay closed. I bought a second one (Tan) from a lovely TPF'er so I now have a color choice! Both bags have fabric lining - it's lighter weight and I thought the suede might get torn up with pulling a metal laptop in and out all the time.

SillyKitty - to answer your question on the front pocket - you could easily put a small mouse, pens, etc. in it - not sure about a power cord -- my Dell one is large and it might take up all of the space in the pocket. I tend to keep my mouse/3G card, flash drive, etc. in the inside zip pocket and I stuff the power cord down along the side of the bag on the same side as the laptop. I think my lap is 15" one (diag).

I was worried about the zipper too, but it's actually awesome -- with the way it's set in with the leather pieces on the side and not having the zipper zip all the way, it's still easy to get things in and out and it's also super easy to zip it up with one hand even with the bag is stuffed -- the way the zipper is put in, it's like a gusset giving you extra room at the top!

I left my camera at a site and haven't been able to meet up with the safety manager to get it back. I don't know if you still need pics or not. Sorry I am sucking.

Suzzeee is right that a small mouse, pens, etc will fit in the front pocket. This week, I had the small point-and-shoot camera, a large stack of my business cards and several pens in there with plenty of room to spare.

Thanks for all the feedback!

MG... I'm good wo pics, don't stress, you don't suck at all!

Suzzeee ... can you describe why the clasp doesn't stay closed? I'm curious because it seems to be the same clasp as on the Mini O, and mine stays closed. MG, any trouble with your clasp?

MG, do you find the drop comfortable? Do you think the listed 6.4" is accurate? The Chiara is listed w the same drop, but it is actually about 10", at least mine?? If it's really 6.4", I think that would be too tight for me....

Suzzee... what did you lengthen your drop to?

^^ I'm pretty sure I asked for a 10" drop, but I just measured it and it's more like 14" on my Raspberry -- I have carried that bag a lot though so it may have stretched some as well. I also bought a Tan Francis from a lovely TPF'er and she had that one lengthened to 10" and it also works just fine. I think if I ordered another, I would do either the 10" or maybe 12".

My front clasp on the pocket likes to come open -- it may just be that I'm hitting it on things so I discovered quite my accident that if I flip the square closure part up instead of down it stays put. I mentioned to Ignacio that I was having a problem with it and he said that if I ordered another he did have another type of closure he could use -- not sure what -- maybe a turnlock? Might be worth asking him.

sillykitty, I think I would prefer a bit longer drop but I am not sure since I usually don't carry shoulder bags so it could be that I am not used to that sensation. I am almost 5'7" and the top of the bag hits just below my bra. It isn't too, too tight of a fit (and I think I have big arms for my size). It isn't in my arm pit but it feels a little too high for my taste, especially when it is stuffed full.
I find it much more comfortable to use the strap over my shoulder, it feels sturdier to me. It isn't fully uncomfortable with the handles though, I can easily go back and forth between the two.
I will try to remember to measure the drop at work tomorrow. This weekend we moved to a new building so hopefully I can find the box with a tape measure or a ruler in it. :lol:

Also, I have not had any problems with the clasp coming open at all.

:yahoo:Just got an email from Maria - my Francis is on its way...so excited...first Ignes (aside from the impulse one I bought on bonanzle by mistake...thought I was buying a different color bag)

Attachments

• Francis_FRont.JPG
    Francis_FRont.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Francis_Inside.JPG
    Francis_Inside.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 51