foundation primer - is it worth using?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I generally use primer when the weather is hot or when I'm going to be in makeup for a long time - morning to bed time. In the past I've used Smashbox and thought it was ok. I had also bought some Monistat chafing relief powder gel that people recommend as a primer. Seemed ok but I decided to give it a test. Yesterday - hot day - I applied the "primer" to one side of my face and then foundation and the rest of my makeup to my whole face. at the end of the day I didn't see much difference.
I have some Smashbox primer left. Thinking of trying the same thing with that.
Do you really see a difference when using primer?

Not at all honestly. I think if your face is moisturized, then foundation applies evenly. Like you mentioned, if you do like smashbox I think the Monistat chafing powder gel is basically exactly the same. Otherwise, i just use moisturizer or face lotion (which I would do with or without make up)

Not at all honestly. I think if your face is moisturized, then foundation applies evenly. Like you mentioned, if you do like smashbox I think the Monistat chafing powder gel is basically exactly the same. Otherwise, i just use moisturizer or face lotion (which I would do with or without make up)
yes, always use moisturizer

Just my 2 cents, but I love the Smashbox primer and use it all the time - sometimes just on its own.
I think it makes the foundation go on SO much smoother (and easier).

Reactions: okdot
Just my 2 cents, but I love the Smashbox primer and use it all the time - sometimes just on its own.
I think it makes the foundation go on SO much smoother (and easier).
I think I'll do the test with the smashbox just to see if I see a difference. I thought when I used it, it made a smooth surface for my makeup but can't really say if it made the makeup last longer.

I generally use primer when the weather is hot or when I'm going to be in makeup for a long time - morning to bed time. In the past I've used Smashbox and thought it was ok. I had also bought some Monistat chafing relief powder gel that people recommend as a primer. Seemed ok but I decided to give it a test. Yesterday - hot day - I applied the "primer" to one side of my face and then foundation and the rest of my makeup to my whole face. at the end of the day I didn't see much difference.
I have some Smashbox primer left. Thinking of trying the same thing with that.
Do you really see a difference when using primer?
I personally see a difference, especially since I have combination skin and can turn into an oil slick along my T-zone. I first lay down a bit of Benefit's Porefessional, my foundation/setting powder/contour/blush, and then follow up with either MAC's Fix+ or Maybelline's version of a setting spray and I find that, by the end of the day, my makeup stays looking fresh and hasn't slid all over the place.

I find that using a primer makes it easier to apply makeup so I always use it. Sometimes I just pat on Benefit porefessional by itself (after moisturizer) w/o foundation at all and just dust off with a little bit of loose powder.

Reactions: Cookiefiend
If you have oily/combination skin, I found that the Hourglass primer worked really well. It filled in my pores for a more flawless look and it gave my skin a nice glow without looking oily.

I didn't used to think so, probably because I was younger and my skin was in fantastic shape. Now, more and more I reach for a primer (sometimes) because it gives it that evenness to the skin. Then I apply sunscreen, then foundation.

You don't have to use primer on your entire face. I use it on my forehead and cheeks because of fine lines and pores.

I use Vincent Longo Water Canvas foundation, there is a companion primer. WaterCanvas foundation goes on much smoother when I apply the primer.
Who carries this line? I haven't seen it around in quite a few years, I believe Sephora used to carry it. . They really had some nice products from what I recall.