Foundation for oily skin in humid climate?

A friend with oily skin and humidity issues uses dior backstage

i have somewhat combination oily skin, and I found the less I did to it, the better.
It’s not as much of an issue now that I am older.

(no harsh astringents or toners bc that could cause more oil production).

i rarely wear make up now, but remove sunscreen or tinted moisturizer with micellar water.

i did use those papers that wick shine off the nose (and I rarely used any makeup there)
Thank you I agree the more i try the worse it seems.
I wish i had lovely skin that doesn't need makeup , but i feel like i need to even it out & add some color

Reactions: 880
Stay Naked by Urban Decay works well for me. I live in an area with humid summers and I find it wears well. Easy to find at Sephora or Ulta. Sephora used to give samples to take home and try if asked, not sure if they still do.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
During my college days I sold makeup at a high end dept. store. People with oily skin tend to do better with powder foundations. I'm oily and live in a city where it's humid almost all year round. I use Diorskin Forever Extreme Control Powder Compact Foundation and it's great. For primer I use Tatcha Silk Canvas Protective Primer (the solid one).

The armani silk settled in my pores & looked terrible.

IDK, could it be technique?

Years before covid, I used Wayne Goss Technique for applying which I seem to recall was to use powder first, then foundation or concealer over it. the trick to not being cakey was to use a light touch and very light layers.
the theory was that the foundation clung to the powder underneath
even if the skin required foundation to even out, Wayne only used a bare minimum to cover.

im trying to recall details

Goss seems to be selling eponymous foundation now; I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that

Last edited:
i also used to use a cinema secrets liquid like water but not quite finishing spray to a damp sponge to liquify a powder foundation or concealer (just a bit). It somehow created more traction than a standard liquid foundation (but not as much slip) . . . Here is an article that mentions another use for a setting spray.

, but Bauer has a pro tip up his sleeve to make the base foundation last longer. “I find that for oilier skin, applying a setting spray before the base helps the foundation sit in place much longer. This also hydrates your face and removes any excess oils,” he reveals.

Last edited:
I need to check these articles out; but powder before foundation definitely doesn't work for me. Gets cakey way too fast.
I don't find pressed powder alone to last or have enough coverage.

I need to check these articles out; but powder before foundation definitely doesn't work for me. Gets cakey way too fast.
I don't find pressed powder alone to last or have enough coverage.
someone may come along who has a better handle on this, but I was always told not to use pressed powder. A tiny bit of loose powder, but not enough to see. Just enough for the concealer or foundation kind of grab onto. . . Good luck!

Perhaps this thread and posts like #2 of @papertiger that discuss technique might help too :smile:

Oh i didn't think of loose powder underneath.
It looks so good when it's been just applied but after 1-2 hours (not even outdoors) it's just splotchy & greasy.
I used to love bobbi brown stick foundation because it doesn't oxidise (every other one i try does) but it also just melts all over.
Yes moisturizer, no moisturizer (mattifying or regular) , yes primer, no primer, brush or beauty blender all ends up the same.
There is no sephora here or nice department store & ulta was so dirty w all opened bottles & containers i got so squeamish and walked out.

Most times if you apply liquid over powder it'll get cakey. Powder is used to set liquid because liquid does not stay put. Minimum powder is suggested for dry skin types as it seeps into fine lines and will make people look older. This is why powder foundation is recommended for oilier types. People with oily skin tend to have less lines and the powder will sop up excess oils.

My oilier clients would make the mistake of not moisturizing before putting on makeup. They thought that because they were oily they didn't need moisturizer. Oil and water are two different things. If the skin is dehydrated the skin will produce even more oil and go into sebum overload to compensate for the lack of hydration. Hydration is needed for that smooth even look as it plumps up the skin. Obviously, oilier skins should go for an oil free moisturizer and drier skins should use a heavier cream.

I find that the Mac studio fix foundation is great for everyday wear, but i live in Canada where it’s cold so I’m not sure how it’ll wear off in a humid climate. It’s worth a try plus it has spf in it!!

Right now my skin is a mess. Weird peeling texture on my forehead but if I put on cream it feels so greasy. Even mattifying cream/gel. I use exfoliating face washes but to no avail , which means my makeup looks really bad so I'm not really wearing any.