Concealer separating under eyes - advice?

Oct 7, 2019
So I have not worn make-up in ages due to the pandemic which made it so that I had like three office days in the past 2,5 years...but when I wanted to apply some concealer to my undereyes for one of these days I was unpleasantly surprised. Whatever I did, it would separate and basically slide off the second I tried to blend it.

What I've found out since then: I think it might be due to dryness (I am using Retin-A for anti-aging which most certainly did not improve my already dry skin) as it is slightly better when I use a generous helping of Vaseline at night.

I can apply powder and it will look fine (no clinging to dry spots or anything...tried only to see how it would go).

Foundation that will blend seamlessly on the rest of my face will slide off as well and go patchy under the eyes.

I can apply those light BB creams that come out white, then adjust to your skin tone upon application and that will stay on, but it is basically no coverage and won't do anything for dark circles.

I usually use liquid concealer, but bought the Shiseido stick concealer to see if the different consistency would make a difference (it did not).

I apply the tiniest amount mostly to the inner corners (when I used to dot it onto the whole area and blend before the problem occured). I have tried a brush, fingers, and a damp beauty blender. I layer skincare and let it soak in before attempting to apply make-up. Is there any magic trick I am missing? Thanks!

Could it be that you're applying too much? The less you use, the less chance it will slip, fade or crack.

I think there are 2 things that every woman and many men consider the most important yet a hopeless search for.

1. The perfect mascara (we won't get into that)
2. The perfect concealer that stays put, doesn't settle into lines, looks natural, doesn't need powder or colour corrector etc

Only suggestions:

Before you start, cleanse, moisturise, do all your skin care. Wait 5 mins to let it sink in.

1. Look for a stay-put concealer of medium - full coverage. The reason being the thinner and lighter application of the layer of concealer possible should last better than multi-layers of light coverage. My personal recommendation is either drugstore price L 'Oreal Paris Infallible More than Concealer (thick liquid in a tube and doe-foot, or luxury price Clé de Peau Beaute concealer (thick cream stick). You will need very, very little of either. Make sure you choose the right shade/undertone, the L' Oreal has lots to choose from.

I also have Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place High-cover. It was a learning curve, at first I hated it apart from the colour, but I think I needed to moisturise a lot more before using it and I used much too much. I think it sounds like it may be good for your challenges, but like me, you may have to work with it a while.

2. Tools: I use a flat brush. Dab gently with the ends just where you need it and then blend seamlessly so there are no lines visible. I used to use my fingers but a brush will apply a thinner layer more smoothly.

3. If you're having trouble with slippage (also applies to people whose concealer ends up in lines) powder with the tiniest of under-eye powder. I use (the tiniest amount) of Pat McGrath Labs Skin Fetish Sublime Perfection Blurring under-eye (in light - it's white but I don't think it has colour) on a natural squirrel tapered brush and gently 'bounce' the sides along, tip facing towards the eye, then sweep (off) to smooth.

Could it be that you're applying too much? The less you use, the less chance it will slip, fade or crack.

I apply on the back of my hand and take off the tiniest amount possible. In fact, I used to apply with a way heavier hand and it was fine. Like, in another life :lol:

Before you start, cleanse, moisturise, do all your skin care. Wait 5 mins to let it sink in.

I've tried everything from 5 mins to half an hour to no avail.

1. Look for a stay-put concealer of medium - full coverage. The reason being the thinner and lighter application of the layer of concealer possible should last better than multi-layers of light coverage. My personal recommendation is either drugstore price L 'Oreal Paris Infallible More than Concealer (thick liquid in a tube and doe-foot, or luxury price Clé de Peau Beaute concealer (thick cream stick). You will need very, very little of either. Make sure you choose the right shade/undertone, the L' Oreal has lots to choose from.

I also have Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-place High-cover. It was a learning curve, at first I hated it apart from the colour, but I think I needed to moisturise a lot more before using it and I used much too much. I think it sounds like it may be good for your challenges, but like me, you may have to work with it a while.

I will look into these though I am kind of unenthusiastic about spending more money on yet another concealer that will go unused because I can't make it work. I was looking at the Trinny London ones (one's a thickish cream, one's like a serum apparently) but meh.

3. If you're having trouble with slippage (also applies to people whose concealer ends up in lines) powder with the tiniest of under-eye powder.

I cannot powder over that mess that is the concealer though, it will just look even more horrid. The last three times I had to take it off, reapply sunscreen and run out of the door.

Maybe I should book a m/u consultation at any random counter and let them deal with it :lol:

Reactions: papertiger
I apply on the back of my hand and take off the tiniest amount possible. In fact, I used to apply with a way heavier hand and it was fine. Like, in another life :lol:

I've tried everything from 5 mins to half an hour to no avail.

I will look into these though I am kind of unenthusiastic about spending more money on yet another concealer that will go unused because I can't make it work. I was looking at the Trinny London ones (one's a thickish cream, one's like a serum apparently) but meh.

I cannot powder over that mess that is the concealer though, it will just look even more horrid. The last three times I had to take it off, reapply sunscreen and run out of the door.

Maybe I should book a m/u consultation at any random counter and let them deal with it :lol:
I no longer wear much makeup, but I vaguely recall the makeup artist wayne Goss advocating a very light powder application before or under the concealer or foundation to make the latter adhere smoothly. Very little product, applied in light layers.

ETA: I use very little Retin A; only on a few select places on my face and not everyday.

Last edited:
Try the Robert Welsh concealer method, and make sure you are not trying to apply over an oily surface from moisturizer etc. A priming moisturizer may help if you need to moisturize first (I certainly do).

I like the Diorskin Forever concealer, but everyone is different. If you need to try a different one, the ELF camo concealer comes in a ton of shades and is $16, do not get the hydrating one if you have slip issues.

lastly, you can use an eyeshadow primer under your eyes as well. There is a tinted version of the Urban Decay eye primer that is great for covering a little bit and reducing the work your concealer has to do.

Is it possible the sunscreen and your concealer are not playing nicely together? From what you describe it certainly does sound like the concealer is not agreeing with something you've applied prior. I'd suggest playing around with your skincare/sunscreen combination to see if there is a potential culprit.

If you're not averse to it, it might be worth trying to blend/pat the product in with your fingertips- I have fine lines under my eyes and I find this helps concealer blend and sit in the places I want it.

Is it possible the sunscreen and your concealer are not playing nicely together? From what you describe it certainly does sound like the concealer is not agreeing with something you've applied prior. I'd suggest playing around with your skincare/sunscreen combination to see if there is a potential culprit.

I don't think so for two reasons: I've tried every possible scenario which includes trying application on completely bare skin, and I apply the sunscreen over my whole face and foundation will apply nicely everywhere but under my eyes.

Reactions: papertiger
I don't wear face makeup on a daily basis (only eye makeup); but I have pretty much given up using concealers lol.
I have a lot of fine lines around my eyes, and I'm not sure if I'm just super picky or OCD but I dislike seeing makeup settle into those fine lines or creasing. And I feel that concealer just makes it worse.

Now, if I absolutely have to wear face makeup, I just use a light layer of liquid foundation to even out my skin tone. Don't even bother with blush, bronzer, and highlight because at that point, I'm just lazy. :P

Have you just tried on only foundation and seeing how it wears throughout the day? Because if it does the same for foundation, then maybe concealers and/or foundation are just not for you? (As in, they just don't sit on your skin they way you prefer)

Or are you not a foundation person and prefer just concealer?

I prefer a lighter base so ideally just concealer where I need it. However I got my hands on a few foundation samples recently, and they will blend in beautifully everywhere else but slide right off my undereyes as well. It is just that I am very fair and pale and my undereyes are really dark and make me look tired and sick. Oh well.

• Insightful
Reactions: lill_canele
I prefer a lighter base so ideally just concealer where I need it. However I got my hands on a few foundation samples recently, and they will blend in beautifully everywhere else but slide right off my undereyes as well. It is just that I am very fair and pale and my undereyes are really dark and make me look tired and sick. Oh well.
Same problem here. One of the things I like about the diorskin forever concealer is I can pretty much use it like a foundation on the spots that need it and it blends in super well. I don’t buy the foundation anymore just the concealer.

Reactions: QueenofWrapDress
I will try all the tricks you shared and report back (also, I got a bottle of squalane and have been applying that in the evenings, maybe it will make a difference).

Don't they do undereye fillers that help with dark circles? Maybe I should consider that instead of trying every concealer under the sun :lol:

I’m a tinted moisturiser person rather than thick foundation. Always have been Love Bobby Brown. Then I use Clinique Airbrush concealer for under eyes and lids. Helps eye make up set. I don’t have any issues with it sliding off, even after eye cream. Other concealer can be too thick and claggy settling in fine lines.

I’m really pale too BTW. Clinique do this in a range of colours.

Reactions: QueenofWrapDress