Fought 3 Ladies at the Outlet For This!

I'm sure you haven't met enough Canadians, if you think we're obnoxious and aggressive. Are you sure they didn't apologize after? ;)

Vancouver doesn't have an outlet and Oregon is probably the closest outlet they have. Unless they want to drive ~12 hours to the "closest" Canadian outlet, which is in Balzac, Alberta, their best bet is probably going to Oregon.

Even though it's tax free at the store, they still have to pay duty, PST and GST on merchandise at the border (if they're doing this legally). Duty on handbags and accessories is 10%, GST is 5% and PST is 7%. With the crappy exchange rate right now, I could hardly imagine any Canadian wanting to pay USD for goods if they can get it here (especially since customs is still a factor). So yes, there could be resellers, but honestly, as a Canadian, I wouldn't be shopping at the States if I didn't have to!

+1! ITA with you Karman! 😀

I'm sure you haven't met enough Canadians, if you think we're obnoxious and aggressive. Are you sure they didn't apologize after? ;)

Vancouver doesn't have an outlet and Oregon is probably the closest outlet they have. Unless they want to drive ~12 hours to the "closest" Canadian outlet, which is in Balzac, Alberta, their best bet is probably going to Oregon.

Even though it's tax free at the store, they still have to pay duty, PST and GST on merchandise at the border (if they're doing this legally). Duty on handbags and accessories is 10%, GST is 5% and PST is 7%. With the crappy exchange rate right now, I could hardly imagine any Canadian wanting to pay USD for goods if they can get it here (especially since customs is still a factor). So yes, there could be resellers, but honestly, as a Canadian, I wouldn't be shopping at the States if I didn't have to!

They have the option to pay in Canadian dollars so I don't think they're getting screwed on the exchange rate. And as far as duties go, if they're selling these items for 3 times what they bought them for, who cares? It's like paying PP fees but they still make money.

Regardless, the point wasn't to debate the ins and outs of resellers. Someone asked about the Woodburn outlet and I answered with my experience. If the exchange rate is super bad then yes, there's probably less of it going on at the moment but as someone who has shopped at that store since it opened, I know it happens and that it's a large portion of the business at this location according to multiple SAs and managers.

It's annoying not because they're Canadian or Asian or female or whatever, it's annoying because I have to drive twice as far to a different outlet to have access to any type of selection.

They have the option to pay in Canadian dollars so I don't think they're getting screwed on the exchange rate. And as far as duties go, if they're selling these items for 3 times what they bought them for, who cares? It's like paying PP fees but they still make money.

Regardless, the point wasn't to debate the ins and outs of resellers. Someone asked about the Woodburn outlet and I answered with my experience. If the exchange rate is super bad then yes, there's probably less of it going on at the moment but as someone who has shopped at that store since it opened, I know it happens and that it's a large portion of the business at this location according to multiple SAs and managers.

It's annoying not because they're Canadian or Asian or female or whatever, it's annoying because I have to drive twice as far to a different outlet to have access to any type of selection.

Ah, when you said they had the option of paying Canadian dollars, I didn't know you meant that they pay what the tag says in CAD. I thought you meant they can pay in CAD, but they'd have to convert the price from USD to CAD first.

I'm not trying to attack you. I was only trying to give out some facts about how our sales tax and customs works so that people can see the whole picture here. I can understand why some of the ladies here are upset at what you said, because you only mentioned "Canadian" and "Asian" first, and the having to drive twice as far came way later.

Once a factory store opens in Vancouver, I guarantee that there will be fewer tourists bothering you at your outlets. :smile: Then we can deal with them here in our home country.

Ah, when you said they had the option of paying Canadian dollars, I didn't know you meant that they pay what the tag says in CAD. I thought you meant they can pay in CAD, but they'd have to convert the price from USD to CAD first.

I'm not trying to attack you. I was only trying to give out some facts about how our sales tax and customs works so that people can see the whole picture here. I can understand why some of the ladies here are upset at what you said, because you only mentioned "Canadian" and "Asian" first, and the having to drive twice as far came way later.

Once a factory store opens in Vancouver, I guarantee that there will be fewer tourists bothering you at your outlets. :smile: Then we can deal with them here in our home country.

Poor choice of words on my part to start with that's for sure!

Here here !! Well said :smile:

Just to clarify two things...
1) Woodburn is certainly not the closest Coach outlet from Vancouver. There is Burlington, just south of Bellingham which is about a 30min drive from the border. (I have gotten the absolute best deals ever at this outlet even though it is very small). There is also Seattle Premium Outlets just north of Everett which is a 30min drive from the Burlington outlet.
2) When given a choice of paying in Canadian or American dollars, you do not pay the listed USD price in CAD. That would be sweet though.
You are given a choice to pay in USD which will then be converted to Canadian currency when your credit card company posts the transaction. You will receive the exchange rate posted that day.
So, when you get to the cash register, the SA asks if you would like to pay in USD or CAD and your bill looks like this:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 1.11.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-02-22 at 1.11.42 PM.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 128

1) Woodburn is certainly not the closest Coach outlet from Vancouver. There is Burlington, just south of Bellingham which is about a 30min drive from the border. (I have gotten the absolute best deals ever at this outlet even though it is very small). There is also Seattle Premium Outlets just north of Everett which is a 30min drive from the Burlington outlet.

2) When given a choice of paying in Canadian or American dollars, you do not pay the listed USD price in CAD. That would be sweet though.

You are given a choice to pay in USD which will then be converted to Canadian currency when your credit card company posts the transaction. You will receive the exchange rate posted that day.

So, when you get to the cash register, the SA asks if you would like to pay in USD or CAD and your bill looks like this:

Woodburn is the closest Oregon outlet and there's no sales tax here.

Hmm- Do they automatically ask you this at all of the outlets? I was in the US in MAy and shopped at three different outlets and was not asked this!