Forget the Factory Online Sale - I'm glad I used PCE!

That's true!!! Whenever they have a discount they increase the prices so you always get the thing for about the same, sometimes $5-10 cheaper when there's no discount... I was very naive at one point and thought I was getting a huge deal but when I started getting the online sale invites and checking the store prices on a regular basis I realized the trick, that's why I only buy deletes now, you can get a real discount on those!

I agree, even though it may be more expensive, you can still get a better deal on an FP delete at the outlet because they typically mark it down from the genuine MSRP, not a falsely inflated price like they do for MFF items.

And you may get an even better deal when the MFF or FP delete items get an addtional discount (like a coupon event) and/or move into clearance.

The physical outlets are doing that now too. I was eyeballing an Ashley carry all for $169. No extra discounts. Went back the next week and the store was 30% off but magically the Ashley carry all was now $229. It's crappy. Don't jack up prices to have a fake sale; just don't have the extra sale.
That's exactly what the outlets do, and not only the Coach outlets. I've seen this at others within the Premium Outlets stores as well. The prices are raised to give the impression of a sale. This happens quite a bit in the Orlando area, where a good number of the shoppers are tourists and not around for an extended period of time to realize that this occurs.

This isn't the first time that I've seen Coach use underhanded (IMO) marketing strategies! See the link below for information about the time that they sent me a note saying that I had left items in my Coach.com shopping cart, and that I needed to "complete the sale"; except THEY put the items into my cart! They must think we are all clueless!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/a-somewhat-sneaky-sales-approach-by-coach-603226.html

Wow, so Coach lies about the REAL MSRP of an item to make it seem like you're getting a good deal...Makes me not want to shop the online sale anymore.

I've seen that on Cell Phone Carrier sales as well. It's a shame if you don't pay attention.

Wow! Shame on coach! Makes me wanna shop other designers.

I smell another class action! You can get in big trouble for deceptive marketing like this.

It certainly is deceptive marketing, at its finest.

It's a shame, because I love Coach, but this practice is not good customer service or ethics. :tdown:

The physical outlets are doing that now too. I was eyeballing an Ashley carry all for $169. No extra discounts. Went back the next week and the store was 30% off but magically the Ashley carry all was now $229. It's crappy. Don't jack up prices to have a fake sale; just don't have the extra sale.

Wow, that's really shady! Not feeling any outlet love right now.

Makes me want to just use PCEs at FP or sales at Dillard's and Macy's.

That's true!!! Whenever they have a discount they increase the prices so you always get the thing for about the same, sometimes $5-10 cheaper when there's no discount... I was very naive at one point and thought I was getting a huge deal but when I started getting the online sale invites and checking the store prices on a regular basis I realized the trick, that's why I only buy deletes now, you can get a real discount on those!

That is so sneaky! One time in a department store, they had a sale price sticker glued over the MSRP sticker and when I peeled it back I found that the MSRP was lower than the store's sale price.

Unbelievable! it's kind of cheating. Horrible marketing stratagem. shame on coach

I am pretty sure this is illegal, at least in California.

I am pretty sure this is illegal, at least in California.

YUP!!! Between that and the constant emails that say "WAS $298, NOW $95" on MFF bags that never ever were that insanely inflated $298 or whatever nonsense price, they are going to get into big trouble! It's just a matter of time.

But this watch is blatantly obvious consumer tricking, which is completely illegal.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/index.shtml

K

katev said:
This isn't the first time that I've seen Coach use underhanded (IMO) marketing strategies! See the link below for information about the time that they sent me a note saying that I had left items in my Coach.com shopping cart, and that I needed to "complete the sale"; except THEY put the items into my cart! They must think we are all clueless!

http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/a-somewhat-sneaky-sales-approach-by-coach-603226.html

That is definitely disturbing. I've only ever received an email like that when I myself have actually left items in my cart.

Look at how the Andee rubber strap watch is marked in the online sale:
MSFRP: $158.00
NOW: $195.00
With 30% discount: $136.50
Ummm..if you're going to falsely inflate the sale price Coach, you might want to make sure you remember to falsely inflate the MSFRP...oops. Also, many of the "sale" prices are only $3 off.

I noticed that with some of the shoes on this online sale too. They were cheaper when they were on sale on Coach.com. I didn't notice a jacked up MFSRP, but just that on the online outlet sale you'd expect the lowest possible price. Not the case.

Just to give my two cents... When the Andee was first brought out in FP it was sold at $258 MSRP and remained that way for a while, then at some point a couple of months back they dropped the MSRP price to $198 in FP and on the website. So they actually did not make up the MSRP just for the factory online sale. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning it, but I do feel a little better knowing that the watch actually did retail for $258 for quite a while.