For those that purchased bags in the '80s

The majority of my bags are new, but I have bought a couple vintage preowned bags and I think they are beautiful. Yes I can tell they are vintage and older and I appreciate the differences between them and my new bags. The super gold hardware to me on the vintage bags (when it is pristine and not flaked off) is just gorgeous and far prettier to me than the newer pale gold hardware. Gold is in. Gold watches, gold jewelry, gold hardware is ok in this time. If you look at the celebs in Chanel you will see some young celebrities which can afford brand new Chanel carrying vintage since they like the more unique look of these bags. I think to each their own. I would not carry my vintage bags on a regular basis since I feel like they are special pieces almost like collectors items.

Great thread I am considering a M/L flap but cannot afford new so will have to buy pre-loved, so this interests me as I consider what to look for. I personally like the old rich gold - and I love the look of Lamb, but it frightens me a little bit - and I know I should go with Caviar as it is more carefree- but the rich gold and lamb look so stunning......... have no idea what to get - I keep swaying back and forth - I guess the right bag will come along and then I will "know" it.

+1

this is a big reason why i have dramatically slowed down on buying chanel bags and shifted my funds to the house of orange. i had some vintage smaller chanel flaps from the 80s that were pristine, but eventually i got rid of them because they did look dated to me, next to all of my newer chanel flaps. meanwhile, i recently acquired a pristine black box kelly from the 70s and apart for the extra strap rings on newer models, it looks quite consistent with the kelly of today. not that i have a problem with designs morphing over time, but it is just too expensive to keep up with these design changes to update my wardrobe :P. so now i try to invest only in quality bags that will withstand both time and fashion cycles.

same here!

This is such an interesting thread. I have thought more and more about what my collection of Chanel bags will mean to myself and to my daughters in 20 years. I tend to prefer new bags. I also realized my DDs might have different tastes and not really care for old vintage bags. There is only one bag my 3-year old DD cares for now and she may not even like it later. I have downsized my collection to only a few classics and shifted my focus more to jewelry.

. I have downsized my collection to only a few classics and shifted my focus more to jewelry.

This is a smart idea - I am only buying things that are classic and will last a lifetime now - and if I want something fashionable, shall just buy a SLG instead - but the big purchases I only want to make once and make a choice that will be useful for my circumstances.

I haven't paid attention to trends or what celebs wear/don't wear since the 80s! I have my own style and I buy what I like, and if it's not "in," well ... I don't really give a crap. They don't dictate my life. Hell, I don't even know who most current, 'hot' celebs are anymore. Nor do I care.

My one and only Chanel is a caviar hobo with silver hardware and a tassel. I bought it in February. It's about 11 years old but looks brand new. And I'll wear her happily til I die regardless of whether the latest fashion mags say it's OK or not.

My Chanel's are not that old either. So not much help. I volunteer at an old residence and met this fine 70+ yr old lady. She told me how she had (now her daughter has them) 17 beautiful Chanel handbags. The twinkle in her eyes.... Ahhhh! She would love to keep them but not allowed at the residence :sad:

My Chanel's are not that old either. So not much help. I volunteer at an old residence and met this fine 70+ yr old lady. She told me how she had (now her daughter has them) 17 beautiful Chanel handbags. The twinkle in her eyes.... Ahhhh! She would love to keep them but not allowed at the residence :sad:

that is so lovely - wow - I hope the daughter takes them in for "play dates" - :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Such wonderful and interesting responses! I do love Chanel classics and I'm not sure that I will care in 20 years if the design has changed. I love vintage items. I love the story about the 70 year old woman in the residence. I'm sure she has beautiful vintage bags.

Such wonderful and interesting responses! I do love Chanel classics and I'm not sure that I will care in 20 years if the design has changed. I love vintage items. I love the story about the 70 year old woman in the residence. I'm sure she has beautiful vintage bags.

I love that story too !!!!!
sounds so romantic !! :biggrin:

I have bags from the 90s to present, and I use most of them. Some vintage bags may look dated, but others look stunning IMO. I prefer the GHW and leather quality of some vintage bags.

I agree with the suggestions that Chanel should avoid making significant changes to the 'iconic' bags. I would like to see the 6K reissues timeless. :smile:

Hmmm... ive been debating between getting a brand new chanel classic with gold hardware or getting a vintage lambskin classic. I heard the quality of the leather on the vintage ones are better than the newer, more recent ones.

after going through this thread i think i might consider going for a vintage :giggles:

My mom has a collection of handbags from the late 1980s (YSL, Chanel, Dior etc. Some of them are older than me) yes they look dated but still wearable as the shape and design is still very much relevant today. Although she hardly use any of them anymore but both my sisters borrowed and used them a lot. So I guess when people are talking about 'investment pieces' I think it should only be seen as short-term as you would eventually replace them after 5 years (or less).

Just from my own perspective though, Chanel bags these days are very very trendy so I don't think the same can be said in the next 30 years. You also hear a lot about quality issue these days so that has to be taken into account too. And we have Chanel store in every corner of the world now too so I dont think current style will be regarded as unique and exquisite in the next 30 years as the quantity is definitely not rare.

I have classic flaps from 80's and 90's at my disposal from my mothers collection. They do not look dated. They actually look pretty similar to whats on offer today. BUT those are classic flaps and mini flaps which are hard to get wrong. I feel that other styles age more obviously. I always wander about the GST what people will feel about it in like 15 years time!!

I agree with you. Whenever I see a Chanel cf that is obviously from decades before when I started making Chanel purchases I think it is really cool. If still in good condition I do not think they look dated. I think they are very stylish. Lucky you to have a mom with a vintage Chanel collection. :smile: