for my little sister

Jacer

Hunter at heart...
O.G.
Nov 14, 2012
This might sound really weird - but little sister who is only 10 this year loves my vintage WOC - but I’ve never let her use it because I’m always scared she’s going to either destroy it or lose it.

I hate telling her no all the time because I don’t want her feeling like I don’t want to share my favored stuff with her. She really is a great little sister.

so I thought I might turn one of my old clutch wallets into a woc for her.

I have a chain from a old vintage cross body that I’m not using and a older clutch wallet I was going to take to my leather shop to add that little strip of leather to house/attach a chain on so I can give it to her to use.

Was wondering what you ladies think about this?

I know its really not the same but I figured it was the best of both worlds.

She would get a Chanel so she would be happy and I wouldn’t have to worry that she would lose my woc.

Would this be a terrible thing to do?

Not at all! She's lucky to have a sweet, caring & kind sister like you.

Will she like your old clutch wallet, or does she only prefers your vintage WOC? You could test by showing her the old clutch wallet with add-on chains & see what she thinks.

That is very sweet of you, however, she is getting the Chanel bug very young!

I kind of think this too. As wonderful of a gesture as it is (I think you are wonderful big sister for contemplating this) - but I would take her to an inexpensive bag shop and let her pick out something similar maybe? Something that will be her own.........in fact she likely wants to imitate you rather than have a Chanel bag - she perhaps wants to be like her big sister? So maybe let her choose something in a cheaper shop.

It IS sweet. . . but I have 2 10-yr olds and they're far from responsible enough for something like this IMO.
I'd get her a non-branded quilted bag that looks similar and tell her one day when she's older and has accomplished high school or _______ you'll get her a real one of her own.

Why not? If you don't the chain and wallet anymore... If you go ahead with the project share pics with us.

Otherwise, I agree with the opinions above about getting her a non-branded quilted bag.

Not at all! She's lucky to have a sweet, caring & kind sister like you.

Will she like your old clutch wallet, or does she only prefers your vintage WOC? You could test by showing her the old clutch wallet with add-on chains & see what she thinks.

Thank you.

I think she loves the woc just cause its the perfect size for her. My other bags are all too large for her but the size of the woc is large enough for her tiny frame. I really think in the end the envelope wallet will look just like a envelope woc -if only a tiny bit smaller.

That is very sweet of you, however, she is getting the Chanel bug very young!

Thank you - She is - but I think thats my fault. I do tend to buy a lot of Chanel and get a bit too happy about each addition. I didn’t grow up with a single designer thing but luckily I make really decent money now and am able to indulge. I think I was a bit of a bad influence in this factor.

I kind of think this too. As wonderful of a gesture as it is (I think you are wonderful big sister for contemplating this) - but I would take her to an inexpensive bag shop and let her pick out something similar maybe? Something that will be her own.........in fact she likely wants to imitate you rather than have a Chanel bag - she perhaps wants to be like her big sister? So maybe let her choose something in a cheaper shop.

It IS sweet. . . but I have 2 10-yr olds and they're far from responsible enough for something like this IMO.
I'd get her a non-branded quilted bag that looks similar and tell her one day when she's older and has accomplished high school or _______ you'll get her a real one of her own.

Thank you and You ladies are totally right - I do think she’s a bit to young for one but I also don’t want her to think that I’m only saying no to her based on her age, doesn’t seem fair - since I’m always saying how mature she is and well behaved. Straight A’s, does all her chores, keeps her room clean, helps take care of our mom and overall a totally amazing girl since our dad is passed years ago and our mom’s health is weak and I have to run my businesses to support us all.

I would just buy her a woc if I wasn’t afraid she would lose it by accident or such and that would make me so upset and I don’t want to end up getting terribly upset with her if she does. If she were to lose my wallet I really won’t care at all.

And I feel with the wallet - if she lost it, it would help her learn and understand she’s not ready for chanel and has to be more responsible - and I would not be at a lost or upset over it - but if she takes really good care of it - then I will know she’s ready for her own collection and she values the bag and understands the responsibility of having a chanel.

Why not? If you don't the chain and wallet anymore... If you go ahead with the project share pics with us.

Otherwise, I agree with the opinions above about getting her a non-branded quilted bag.

Thank you! I’m going to leave it up to her I think - if she wants a new bag from a lower price range store - I was thinking of taking her to woodbury outlet and let her pick out a bag within a set price range or convert the chanel for her and make sure she knows this is her first bag and that its her responsibility to take care if she wants other designer bags in the future.

All of you have helped me realize that converting a older chanel is not a bad thing to do. Which I think was mostly my plight since I’ve always treasured my chanels and never heard of a converted bag before.

But now strangely I kinda want to try it anyway since its just sitting around. :lol:

Thank you all!

It's not that she'd lose it or whatever, it's that they have no real concept of money and value of item's worth at this age.
It is sorta fair not to do it because of her age actually :smile:

It's not that she'd lose it or whatever, it's that they have no real concept of money and value of item's worth at this age.

+1.

And being in my 40s and only just started my own Chanel collection I nearly fainted at the thought of a Chanel wallet being converted in any way - because they are valuable to me no matter how old they are (I love vintage Chanel).

I agree with swanky mama of three. Chanel is an expensive purchase and of course you can spend your money on your sibling how you see fit, but my personal opinion is that a child will never understand the value of chanel as they have not had to work the hours required to pay for it.

I agree with swanky mama of three. Chanel is an expensive purchase and of course you can spend your money on your sibling how you see fit, but my personal opinion is that a child will never understand the value of chanel as they have not had to work the hours required to pay for it.

I have to slightly and respectfully disagree on that one - I really think it depends on how well a kid is exposed to the cost of things that helps effect how they value and see the worth of something and learn the concept of money.

I just helped my sister buy the new iphone 6 because I made a deal with her - that if she saved her allowance, she gets $20 a week and kept her grades up I would cover half the cost of it. It took her well over 6 months but she saved the $400 for it. I see she values it like crazy because she did have to strive to get it. She didn’t have to work but she did have learn to curb her spending on things she usually would have - stickers, toys, candy, comics and other little things she use to buy everyday after school and keep her grades up.

I don’t think she would understand saving thousands of dollars as it already took her so long to save the $400 for the phone but I think exposing her to saving and spending on higher ticket items helps her learn in someway that it takes more effort to acquire items that cost more.

But you do raise a very valid point - so I might do the same thing I did with the phone with her is she wants a designer bag. Allow her to buy if if she saves some and do certain chores for a long while to earn it - so that it does help her learn the value of it. I actually hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

+1.

And being in my 40s and only just started my own Chanel collection I nearly fainted at the thought of a Chanel wallet being converted in any way - because they are valuable to me no matter how old they are (I love vintage Chanel).

I think this was why I was hesitant to do it first - I don’t use my old wallets and a few bags but couldn’t just start converting it. I too love vintage chanel and own a few.

you are so sweet and your little sister is very lucky!

Thank you. :blush:

Sounds like you made your decision then 

Yup. I totally didn’t remember the iphone value I was trying to instill in her. Thank you very much for helping me remember.

I was just feeling so bad for not allowing her to use my bag I wanted to make up for it some how without spoiling her too much by getting her a woc of her own - which I did think would be a bit too much for a 10 year old.

But your so right about kids and the cost of items. So thank you!