Florentine Natural

luminosity: great question and I've often thought of this myself. I am a newbie to Coach.
I've read some very detailed articles about the leather, and what I concluded was that
the leather Coach used years ago was far superior to it's current leather (there may be exceptions
at the very high end of the price range).

My preliminary conclusion is that the term glovetanned leather is a marketing term and doesn't
really identify the characteristics of the leather. Just like Dooney (and others) use the term
pebbled leather, which could be the original, thick, Dooney all weather leather that was
full grain leather that was then shrunk to get the pebbling and made even thicker.
Today, lots of pebbled leather isn't full grain and the pebbling is an embossed texture.
That makes it lighter in weight, doesn't make it bad, but it's not the same thing and
each has it's pros and cons. So what does pebbled leather really mean?

Back to glovetanned leather from Coach. I think that the term is used for different leathers
in terms of quality and thickness. I think the top surface is buffed for smoothness. Different
amounts of pebbling may be added by embossing the leather. So, some glovetanned leathers
may be really thick and high quality, while others may not be as high quality.

Leather 'quality' is affected by the leather itself (what animal it comes from, how thick the piece is,
where on the animal it came from, and how many natural defects it has). It is also affected by
the tanning process and the chemicals used. And the dyeing process and the chemicals used.
And then the quality is affected by whether an piece of leather is full grain, top grain, suede,
etc. The full grain is the thickest and contains the entire depth of all the layers. The top grain
is thinner and doesn't contain as many layers of the leather. Suede is just the underside of the leather.
And some 'leather' is made up of scraps that are molded together (it has names, but I think of it
as like baloney). Manufacturers can save money by 'slicing' the leather and using various layers
separately. Rather than using an entire piece of leather as full grain, a manufacturer can split it
and use some of it as top grain and some as suede.

Add to the mix that the surface of the leather can be buffed, for smoothness, or embossed for
texture (pebbled, exotic, etc.) And thinner layers can be coated (patent, for example) for looks
or function (stain and water resistance, durability).

What is good and what is bad is often in the eye of the consumer. If you like it and it works for you
(looks, function, price) does it matter if it's not the thickest, best, full grain leather, tanned and dyed
using the most premium processes? I've concluded that as long as I know what I'm getting,
or at least don't think I'm getting something better than it really is), that it's ok for me to
make the trade-offs for looks, function, price, variety.

Technically, I believe, that Dooney Floentine leather is superior to what Coach calls
glovetanned leather. I could be wrong. Dooney Florentine leather is full grain, tanned and dyed
using high end processes, I believe. (Dyeing process may vary for some lighter colors). The surfaces of the leather are not buffed or altered. They may show natural striations, pebbling and defects in the leather. (so each piece of leather may not be the very top quality), and the thickness may also vary (because naturally leather thickness varies).

I don't know if Coach glovetanned leather is full grain or top grain. But I believe the surface is
buffed for smoothness and the pebbling is an embossed texture. That makes the finished
piece more uniform. I also don't know about the tanning and dyeing process Coach uses
on glovetanned leather. The leather used on Coach original handbags was full grain.
The smoothness might have come from selecting highest quality pieces or from buffing.
I don't know.

So you can see.... the more I think I know, the more questions I have.
And if you prefer the look and feel of Coach glovetanned leather to the
Dooney Florentine leather (which varies more), then who is to say which is 'better'?
Aside from Dooney and Boourke florentine cameron, I am also looking for a small bag to run errands. Was thinking about Coach dreamer shoulder bag but then looking at the buffalo embossed leather, I am not really sure about that. Then I found out about Coach troupe crossbody, I like it but the the leather is also embossed buffalo leather. I was once saw Coach rogue and it was made of pebbled leather and from the look of buffalo embossed leather, they look similar. I don't know much about leather and I haven't touched designer bags either, but when I touched Coach rogue, the leather just didn't feel right.

I am looking at florentine cameron crossbody as an alternative to Coach dreamer shoulder bag. In term of design, I like Coach's but the leather, I don't like the embossed part.

I used to be a Coach collector years ago....their old Legacy line reminds me very much of DB florentine line....Sold all of my Legacy line years ago and ran to Vera Bradley for awhile. Looked at Coach again and just thought the sophistication was totally gone. If I were to invest in Coach again, it would be their 20 year old bags...that leather was indeed a beauty........their quality has totally changed of recent IMO
does that also include their 1941's line?

Cameron was my first florentine....I absolutely love it...great for running errands and keeping its shape. I don't have the crossbody size as that is too small for me. I wear the larger Cameron as a cross body anyway and it fits just right. Love my Cameron's

Cameron was my first florentine....I absolutely love it...great for running errands and keeping its shape. I don't have the crossbody size as that is too small for me. I wear the larger Cameron as a cross body anyway and it fits just right. Love my Cameron's
Regular size would be too big to me for run errands so that's why I am also looking for a smaller bag. From what Dooney offers in their website, I like their florentine and alto lines.

If you get the Cameron cross body please report back...I'd love to know your thoughts. I bought the saddle bag for active times...but it's still rather large I guess.

I wanted to add a thought about cleaning handbags and SLGs:
the current environment means that we need to wipe down our handbags
and SLGs after we have been out in public. I don't know if an alcohol free
wipe or a leather cleaner is better for sanitizing the handbag without doing
and harm to the leather. I know that alcohol is NOT good for the leather,
but good for de-germing.

I guess that's why opting for a coated leathers like Saffiano or a less porous
like pebbled leather is a good option in these times. Lots of ladies are
carrying vegan (non leather) handbags or even clear plastic that can
easily be wiped down. Coated cotton might be an option, but not
fabric that can't be thoroughly cleaned. Cross body bags that don't touch
outside surfaces help minimize germ contact.... but we still touch our bags
to get things in and out, and handle our SLGs, so they need to be cleaned
or wiped down, depending upon where we have been.

One more reason I hate the pandemic!

Reactions: Lunalark
I never even considered this...I only wear florentine now......I have a few vera Bradley mail bags that are washable? How do I keep my florentine germ free?

Yeah that's why I am keeping my Florentine home for now. I have been carrying my tiny Saffiano Lexi to wipe down or my Lug cloth bag. I use Clean Smart spray also to disinfect therm. So far ok on my small saffiano crossbody. I got it for $30 and don't stress that bag at all. Great knock around bag. Light.

I didn't know myself what to do re:unboxing my new Florentine Saddle bag. I just discarded the packaging, misted the dust bag and am keeling my saddle bag in a safe unused entry area for a few days.

I enjoy my Florentine Toggle as a crossbody/shoulder bag. But I could use a smaller grab and go. I would love to hear the small Cameron thoughts too!

Did you get black or natural saddlebag? Covid be ******, I am enjoying my florentine :smile:

Rocking my small red satchel today in red. Smells and feels sooo good.

My mediums are for weekends, smalls for the week

Well I better list my naturals since I started the discussion:

Natural medium satchel
Natural saddle bag
Natural Cameron
Natural domed satchel
Natural buckley
Natural zip around large wallet

Add on, watcha got? LOL

Reactions: Lunalark
Lunalark: by the time a handbag ships to you it has had a long time for the germs (if any)
to die. (I hope) The shipping box is only the part that was recently handled. I just take the bag
out of the box and set the box aside to be thrown out.

I'm not obsessing about
boxes and groceries, etc. these days Yes, there is a small risk. But the risks of being around other
people, even with a mask, and touching what they touch is much greater.
After I unpack a new handbag or groceries I just wash my hands. And I'm staying out of stores and not socializing except by phone. I'm taking this all very seriously.... but trying not to make myself crazy.

What does everyone else think?

In February last year i drove myself cukoo definitely ! Now, I basically just discard packing and wipe down some things then use immediately. Either gloves or washing my hands and i feel secure. I have touch my face-itis :smile: Once they determined air transmission was the main transmission, I don't stress groceries, etc.

Ok good to know your thoughts thsnk you! The Black Saddle bag was the 2nd Dooney I've gotten since the Pandemic began. The first was my Chestnut Large Russell in October. I put that in my room immediately, didnt think twice and paused on the Black Saddle bag idk why. Maybe with all the numbers rising, I thought I should be doing more...I'm in the immunocompromised category from longtime Lyme disease autoimmune issues, so basically that's why I have been avoiding most places with people. Except unless necessary. But i walk our trails, fields and to get out. I had a mini poodle for 16 years and we were always out and about...lots of pet people here, we all know each other. The ladt person I ran into, ran over to hug me without a mask (I'm a hugger one of those people lol) that is my main worry too like Lavender J.

The Black Saddle bag was the only one offered at the 4am hour I snagged it. Otherwise uh oh think I would've gotten another! Haven't seen it since...how I got so lucky idk. My friend had hers in Natural cancelled yesterday....