Flea Medicine for Cats?

jemiba

May 12, 2011
Hi friends!

My indoor cat has recently developed a problem with fleas, most likely because of recent contact with a guest's dogs. In the past, I would just administer some Capstar and that would take care of the issue. However, her flea problem seems to be more serious this time around. As much as I hate the idea of putting chemicals all over her, I recently decided to get some Advantage II. I applied it last night and I noticed that she really did not feel well--most likely it was just the unpleasant smell that she couldn't get away from, but I have read horror stories about Advantage II causing death in (usually older) animals.

Though I've invested in a 6-month supply of the Advantage II, I would love to hear all of your opinions/experiences with flea medicine for cats--from the one that is the best in your experience to any sickness your cats have experienced. I did a search throughout this forum and nothing came up... so hopefully this isn't too redundant! TIA!!

Attached is a bonus picture of my kitty :smile:

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 215
I use the Advantage in the purple packaging with no problems. My one cat hates it when I'm putting it on (smell?) but once it's on, no problems. And we don't have fleas (cats are in and out)

Frontline is all that worked with my older cat, who was tormented by fleas the last five years. I tried others, and she would flip out and be so upset. Frontline didn't make her happy, but it didn't create the misery others did...plus it tackled the fleas.

Frontline does not work for some of my kitties, so we use Advantage. They have not had any problems with it.

You may need to treat your house, as well.

I would recommend Revolution. It also take care of ear mites, heart worm (which is really hard treat in cats), fleas, and worms. If you feel that your cat does not do well with advantage, she maybe one of the few that is hypersensitive to it. In some infestations it is possible to do more than one dose per month. And like what someone mentioned above you may need to treat your house. Good luck =) (I'm a 3rd yr vet student so if you have any questions feel free to message me)