First YSL bag

Reese123

Feb 19, 2017
Hi, I wanted to know what people’s thoughts are on buying my first ysl. I want something that I can use on an occasional basis, that doesn’t suffer from wear and tear after a few months. It also has to be big enough to fit my purse, keys and iPhone 14

I also like the crossbody function but am only 5ft 2 so want something that sits nicely on my hip bone.

I am swaying towards a medium sunset bag in black hardware, or a medium envelope bag in black hardware. I like the subtlety of black hardware as I kind of feel shw or ghw feels a bit flashy for me.

Could you kindly share your thoughts on what you think would be a good fit 1st bag, am open to other bags as well.
Thank you

I got my first YSL bag in 2017, it was the medium envelope, black on black. (see below for reference.)

1681999830867.png
I definitely did not pay the $3k price tag. I think it was $2100 USD at the time.

This is my oldest bag in my collection. It is my most used out of all my bags, even with a collection of much more expensive bags from Chanel, Moynat, BV, etc. It's my errand running, grab and go bag. The black on black goes with everything and I like how it is more subtle.
It is also the only bag remaining in my collection from the time I was buying bags from 2017-2018. All other bags have been sold. (including YSL, Chloe, LV, etc.)

I really love this bag. It has held up beautifully and the hardware has barely started to chip in around 2021/2022. My SA said they could definitely repaint it with a small fee and it would not be an issue.
There is a little corner wear, but honestly this bag is in great condition for how often I used it and how roughly I handled it. I've put it on concrete ground, scraped it against closing doors, banged it against gates and walls, etc.

The leather is treated so it is very hardwearing, but that makes it very stiff and after having this bag for over 6 years, I will tell you, it will not soften or give very much over time. It will keep it's structure for sure. And since it does not live to give, probably best not to try to push it too much. :P

Just my experience. :biggrin:If you'd like, I can go home and take photos of how it currently looks now.

Reactions: helladesigner
Wow thank you lill_canele for providing such a detailed response, all of the information is really useful and I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a comprehensive response. This is the bag I’ve wanted for years, I think the only thing that put me off is that I’m 5ft 2 and I think it might be too long for me to wear as a crossbody bag. Can I ask how you find it when you wear it as a crossbody bag, if you do wear it this way?

Last edited:
Reactions: lill_canele
Wow thank you lill_canele for providing such a detailed response, all of the information is really useful and I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a comprehensive response. This is the bag I’ve wanted for years, I think the only thing that put me off is that I’m 5ft 2 and I think it might be too long for me to wear as a crossbody bag. Can I ask how you find it when you wear it as a crossbody bag, if you do wear it this way?

No problem!

I am 5'5", and when I want to be hands free (grocery shopping, carrying things, etc.), I wear it crossbody and the top part of the bag hits me right below the hip.

You may find it to be a bit annoying for your height, because like all crossbody bags, they swing around a bit as you walk, and the medium (while not a big medium, it's actually on the smaller side IMO), is basically a boxy rectangle, and you may not like how it sits on your frame.

I also wear it as a shoulder bag, which is my preference nowadays to be honest, for safety purposes and it works great. Doesn't feel too bulky or uncomfortable. It's nice that it has leather parts on the chain so that it's more comfortable (otherwise the chain would dig into the shoudler.)